Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reaching out loud to all MY17 "Connect" only buyers (no Navigation, no Connect Plus here please). Here are my simple questions so all of us are aware of the features it supports (and not):

1) If you have a car already delivered with Connect Only as defined above, how is your experience so far using the CarPlay AND particularly Voice Command (knowing there is a lot of discussion on it)? Did you have your build with QH1 option (Voice)? Are you just using Siri or Porsche's voice command or both? How do you activate Siri and/or Voice (is it Stalk)? Anything you want to add about Connect ONLY option for rest of us...

2) If your car is not yet delivered but you have an order in process and waiting for delivery, do you have QH1 in your build? If not, did you reach out to your dealer if you can add this option? What was their answer.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
92 Posts
From talking to my SA, I do not think you can order the Porsche voice command without Nav (thus pushing you into the Connect +). If anyone has different information, please let me know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Answering my own question - I fall in category 2. Waiting for my delivery. I did not have QH1 in my build. I asked dealership about it. They said "you must have Navigation to order Voice Command". So, I am putting all my hopes on Siri. Want to see if this message is consistent among other "Connect" only mates.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I only ordered Connect (no navigation and, in turn, no Connect +).

Since I don't have my car yet, I cannot answer question no. 1. Based on what I will say below as to question no. 2, though, I think that it will be impossible for anyone who ordered Connect only to also use the QH1 Voice Control feature.

Specifically, as for question no. 2, I reached out to my SA and specifically asked him whether his internal "system [would] allow [him] to select the voice control option (QH1) independently of ordering navigation?" I told him my rationale was that, at the very worst, Porsche would reject the added option, so we might as well try.

My SA just responded to my question and stated that, unfortunately, you really do need to order navigation in order to get voice control (QH1). He wrote, "Regarding your question about voice control, unfortunately when we select Voice Control for $0.00 a pop up appears that says 'you must first select PCM Navigation for $1,740 to successfully add voice control for $0.00.'" So, it certainly wasn't the answer that I was wanting to hear, but there you have it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The question is more interesting for those that actually ordered connect + with Navigation. In that case, you should be able to order voice to activate the PCM functions. However, without QH1, the only voice those folks will get is SIRI voice. They are essentially in the same group of unhappy customers as those who just ordered PCM with navigation but don't have QH1 because it wasn't on the customer configurator....waiting to see what Porsche and/or our dealers are going to do to add PCM voice to our cars.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had Nav only when I first became aware of the Voice feature. It was the day after my official lock day. I called my SA and she confirmed that she could still add the voice option but also suggested I add connect plus. I then added both as I had been going back and forth regarding connect plus anyway.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The question is more interesting for those that actually ordered connect + with Navigation. In that case, you should be able to order voice to activate the PCM functions. However, without QH1, the only voice those folks will get is SIRI voice. They are essentially in the same group of unhappy customers as those who just ordered PCM with navigation but don't have QH1 because it wasn't on the customer configurator....waiting to see what Porsche and/or our dealers are going to do to add PCM voice to our cars.
Not sure why anyone would want Porsche voice control when you have access to Siri?
In my experience the PCM voice is totally lame - I used it a couple of times then gave up. In contrast I find Siri extremely useful:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Not sure why anyone would want Porsche voice control when you have access to Siri?
In my experience the PCM voice is totally lame - I used it a couple of times then gave up. In contrast I find Siri extremely useful
How about all the folks who don't use Apple phones and just want to do hands free phone. The world does not revolve around overpriced apple products.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In my experience the PCM voice is totally lame - I used it a couple of times then gave up. In contrast I find Siri extremely useful:)
You need the Porsche VC to tell the Porsche NAV where to go. I travel around town a lot and found that feature working quite well in my BMWs and hope I can keep using the Macan NAV similar.

Siri don't care about the Porsche NAV. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
How about all the folks who don't use Apple phones and just want to do hands free phone. The world does not revolve around overpriced apple products.
@ghstudio Yes it does! Just kidding.

But you use an Android phone right? So you can just say "Ok Google, call X" and accomplish the same thing. Just a thought for a work around until they resolve your issue.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
:eek:

Good point! Sorry; I think I'm turning into a bit of an Apple fan boy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am reaching out loud to all MY17 "Connect" only buyers (no Navigation, no Connect Plus here please). Here are my simple questions so all of us are aware of the features it supports (and not):

1) If you have a car already delivered with Connect Only as defined above, how is your experience so far using the CarPlay AND particularly Voice Command (knowing there is a lot of discussion on it)? Did you have your build with QH1 option (Voice)? Are you just using Siri or Porsche's voice command or both? How do you activate Siri and/or Voice (is it Stalk)? Anything you want to add about Connect ONLY option for rest of us...

2) If your car is not yet delivered but you have an order in process and waiting for delivery, do you have QH1 in your build? If not, did you reach out to your dealer if you can add this option? What was their answer.

Thanks in advance,
I received my GTS. I have connect only, no NAV. I don't have voice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I forgot to mention that I initially had NAV only and voice. Then I changed my mind and dropped NAV and added Connect. My SA called me and said when you drop NAV, you lose voice control. I remember mentioning this back in December or January in the forum.

I took a picture of my PCM and the voice control option is not available.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Iordered NAVI but I did not see VC on my order and I did not ask SA to add it, I thought it was standard with NAVI.

I have not gotten it yet,anyone know if it has VC by default?or you have to add it like smoke package.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Unfortunately no.
@jcar Voice control is an Apple mandate for Carplay. A manufacturer could lose their license if they don't include it. It is required for the Siri Eyes Free subsection of Carplay. It is possible that they removed that requirement now that current iPhones allow you to wake them by voice, but I have never heard of that requirement going away. That should make it easy for you to request a retrofit of the button if it's missing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@jcar Voice control is an Apple mandate for Carplay. A manufacturer could lose their license if they don't include it. It is required for the Siri Eyes Free subsection of Carplay. It is possible that they removed that requirement now that current iPhones allow you to wake them by voice, but I have never heard of that requirement going away. That should make it easy for you to request a retrofit of the button if it's missing.
Hmmm....I'll have to triple check then.

I wake up Siri by saying "hey Siri" since she's listening the whole time. It's not a biggie for me since I don't think I'll be using voice control that much anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Iordered NAVI but I did not see VC on my order and I did not ask SA to add it, I thought it was standard with NAVI.

I have not gotten it yet,anyone know if it has VC by default?or you have to add it like smoke package.

You have to add voice control; it isn't there by default with navigation. The order code is QH1.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm....I'll have to triple check then.

I wake up Siri by saying "hey Siri" since she's listening the whole time. It's not a biggie for me since I don't think I'll be using voice control that much anyway.
@jcar Did you check how Siri works in this case?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts