Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I have a new CPO 2017 Macan S without Carplay. Suncoast appears to be the ONLY dealer offering the Carplay software for the 2017 (at a steep price). All of the other major parts dealers (Sunset, Gaudin, Atlanta, etc) only offer Carplay for 2019 Macans and Boxter/Caymans... at a price nearly half of what Suncoast sells the 2017 version for.

Can someone who has upgraded their 2017 or 2018 with Carplay PLEASE provide the catalog/model number for their Carplay purchase....and where they bought it? This is crazy! Is there really only one parts dealer selling the Carplay upgrade for 2017/2018??

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hi, I have a new CPO 2017 Macan S without Carplay. Suncoast appears to be the ONLY dealer offering the Carplay software for the 2017 (at a steep price). All of the other major parts dealers (Sunset, Gaudin, Atlanta, etc) only offer Carplay for 2019 Macans and Boxter/Caymans... at a price nearly half of what Suncoast sells the 2017 version for.

Can someone who has upgraded their 2017 or 2018 with Carplay PLEASE provide the catalog/model number for their Carplay purchase....and where they bought it? This is crazy! Is there really only one parts dealer selling the Carplay upgrade for 2017/2018??
In addition to the source problem you have to find someone to install it. In my case the dealer would not unless I also added the Porsche voice addition. I said this is nuts as Carplay uses SIRI and you don't need voice. They wouldn't do it so I passed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

I posted the part number for the software in my initial post. I worked with Travis in the parts department at Jim Ellis Porsche Atlanta Perimeter. Then I called 5 dealers before I got one about 100 miles away who would program it without the voice control stalk.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I ordered the software from Porsche of Knoxville and had it installed at Porsche of Destin for one hour of labor. I don't have the "stalk" either, just the software and it works fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts

FOLLOW-UP
I think I got to the bottom of this. It appears all of the parts dealers (except Suncoast) are listing the Carplay part number as being for 2019 models only on their websites (and Suncoast doesn't list the part number at all). Even though the item desciptions say this is for 2019 models only it is actually the same part for 2017/2018 models, as well..... it's the same Carplay part # for all PCM 4.0 units. With that settled I ordered Carplay from Sunset, contacted the dealer and received a quote for 1 hour of labor without the VC stalk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You absolutely do not need to add the Voice Control. I had the CarPlay software only installed by the local Porsche dealer on my 2018 GTS - works perfectly. I access voice control by using the "Siri" white button (lower left on the screen). I'm in Austin so that doesn't help you much but there are other dealers in Texas that install CarPlay without adding the voice control. There are others on the forum who have done this too - maybe they will respond...and maybe they are closer to NH. Good luck.
What dealership did you get it done at in Austin? I'm in Houston and no dealership here thinks it is possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
What dealership did you get it done at in Austin? I'm in Houston and no dealership here thinks it is possible. Thanks!
Sorry, I'm not on Austin, but I just had mine installled on 12/24 at Porsche Beaverton (the only dealer near Portland). I walked in with my code that I purchased from Sunset and asked that they install it without VC stalk. No problem. One hour labor.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have had my carplay installed for almost a year now, and bought a carplay2air adapter to see how wireless carplay works. I just got notification today that it shipped out, but it’s coming from China. I will give you all an update on it when I get it.
I wanted this adapter for short daily drives. I find that if I am going on a short drive around town or on errands I don’t bother plugging in the phone. If we are going on a longer couple hour trip, I tend to plug the phone in to keep it charged. So I figured I would Guinea pig this device. It’s 159.99 shipped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had my carplay installed for almost a year now, and bought a carplay2air adapter to see how wireless carplay works. I just got notification today that it shipped out, but it’s coming from China. I will give you all an update on it when I get it.
I wanted this adapter for short daily drives. I find that if I am going on a short drive around town or on errands I don’t bother plugging in the phone. If we are going on a longer couple hour trip, I tend to plug the phone in to keep it charged. So I figured I would Guinea pig this device. It’s 159.99 shipped.

Great! Thank you for dropping $160 on this gamble. Everything I have heard about wireless CarPaly is that it can be finicky at best...even as an OE option. If your experiment works I think I wouldn't hesitate to be next in line.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Wireless CarPlay is awesome. I have PCM 3.0 but install the Joyeauto CarPlay module about a month ago and have been loving every minute of it. I don't know how I'll ever go back to wired CarPlay in other cars!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Um, this is a rookie question, so please excuse my ignorance. Do you need to have Porsche's ApplePlay (or CarPlay, or whatever it's called) installed as an OEM option in order to make the carplay2air adapter work?

I ask because -- in addition to being not knowledgeable in this area -- I do not have any of those options -- the Apple option, nav, connect -- installed in our '18 Macan S (we were too close to our budget limit with other, non-electronic, add-ons).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Um, this is a rookie question, so please excuse my ignorance. Do you need to have Porsche's ApplePlay (or CarPlay, or whatever it's called) installed as an OEM option in order to make the carplay2air adapter work?

I ask because -- in addition to being not knowledgeable in this area -- I do not have any of those options -- the Apple option, nav, connect -- installed in our '18 Macan S (we were too close to our budget limit with other, non-electronic, add-ons).
In order for this carplay2air device to work, you have to have the factory/dealer installed oem carplay software. This is a device that just plugs into the regular USB port and creates a wireless connection. If you un plug it, you can plug your phone in an have wired connection again. I believe this thing is not make/model specific, just plugs into any factory carplay usb and creates a wireless connection to your phone.
Mmlau0001 has an aftermarket device that adds carplay to the radio and also has the wireless feature built in. I don’t think this device was available when I was trying to get mine done or else I may have gone that route.

·
Registered
481 Posts

This works too - expensive.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
@VolcanoGTS and @jeffbtx :

Thank you both for the clarification and explanation.

Right, too pricey for me -- maybe next Macan. In the meantime, just having c. 3,000 songs on a USB stick will have to do.

Thanks again.

[Edit: and I'd have to add the $95 to the $895. Hoo boy!]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just checked tracking and the carplay2air device will be here tomorrow. It shipped last Monday, so 2 weeks to get here from China.
will update once I have it in hand tomorrow!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I got the device yesterday afternoon. Plugged fit into the Macan and it instantly was searching for my phone, I connected and within a few seconds I had wireless carplay for the first time. I checked for updates and let that run through and then had to reconnect. I have only tested it a few times so far, but everything works! I made a phone call, played Apple Music, used maps, text to speech, and everything is working just like it was plugged in. I now also have a battery bar that tells me what my battery is at that I didn’t before because it was plugged in and charging. I am going to use it a couple times today to report back on initial connection after some time, curious how fast and seem less it will be now.

And my GTS that I couldn’t wait any longer to put the sport classics on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got the device yesterday afternoon. Plugged fit into the Macan and it instantly was searching for my phone, I connected and within a few seconds I had wireless carplay for the first time. I checked for updates and let that run through and then had to reconnect. I have only tested it a few times so far, but everything works! I made a phone call, played Apple Music, used maps, text to speech, and everything is working just like it was plugged in. I now also have a battery bar that tells me what my battery is at that I didn’t before because it was plugged in and charging. I am going to use it a couple times today to report back on initial connection after some time, curious how fast and seem less it will be now.
View attachment 229783 View attachment 229782
View attachment 229784
View attachment 229785
View attachment 229786
View attachment 229787

And my GTS that I couldn’t wait any longer to put the sport classics on.
View attachment 229788
Curious what your thoughts are with a few more months of use. Still working well?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It is still working well. I had a few hiccups with volume issues in the first few days but haven’t had them since. It connects relatively quickly and is pretty responsive. It’s quick to respond to touch, it’s about a second lag on Apple Music from touching next to the the song going to the next one. For quick around town stuff it’s exactly what I wanted. I do still plug an Apple cable in for longer trips to keep my phone charged though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!
I stumbled upon this thread at 1:45 in the morning after painstakingly searching the internet for the past 4 hours to determine if in fact I can install apple CarPlay on a 2017 Porsche Macan. I found one at a local dealer that has every option I was looking for and for a great deal however there is NO NAV and there is NO CARPLAY and there is NO VOICE STALK. So after reading through this thread the conclusion is all I have to do is purchase a product key after I purchase the vehicle and walk into my local Porsche dealer hand them the keys and tell them to install CarPlay without the stalk. Which then provide all the receipts found here. Lol

41 - 60 of 73 Posts