Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to retrofit carplay to my 2017 GTS, I have seen where people have added just the software and the dealers are willing to do it. I live in NH and am willing to travel to get this done.
Has anyone had success at a dealer installing only the software and not the voice activation stalk? I have gone to 3 dealers near me in MA and NH and all will only install it with the stalk. We don’t use voice activation so don’t really want to pay for it. We already have the software license key, but now can’t find a dealer to code just that. They are all saying it won’t work or code without the stalk.

Any insight here as to a dealer that will do just the software? Anyone reconfirm they have done the retrofit with just the software?

Carplay software- 95B04490007
Stalk they want me to buy- 95B953502H
Steering wheel bolt- N91020701

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am trying to retrofit carplay to my 2017 GTS, I have seen where people have added just the software and the dealers are willing to do it. I live in NH and am willing to travel to get this done.
Has anyone had success at a dealer installing only the software and not the voice activation stalk? I have gone to 3 dealers near me in MA and NH and all will only install it with the stalk. We don’t use voice activation so don’t really want to pay for it. We already have the software license key, but now can’t find a dealer to code just that. They are all saying it won’t work or code without the stalk.

Any insight here as to a dealer that will do just the software? Anyone reconfirm they have done the retrofit with just the software?

Carplay software- 95B04490007
Stalk they want me to buy- 95B953502H
Steering wheel bolt- N91020701
You absolutely do not need to add the Voice Control. I had the CarPlay software only installed by the local Porsche dealer on my 2018 GTS - works perfectly. I access voice control by using the "Siri" white button (lower left on the screen). I'm in Austin so that doesn't help you much but there are other dealers in Texas that install CarPlay without adding the voice control. There are others on the forum who have done this too - maybe they will respond...and maybe they are closer to NH. Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You absolutely do not need to add the Voice Control. I had the CarPlay software only installed by the local Porsche dealer on my 2018 GTS - works perfectly. I access voice control by using the "Siri" white button (lower left on the screen). I'm in Austin so that doesn't help you much but there are other dealers in Texas that install CarPlay without adding the voice control. There are others on the forum who have done this too - maybe they will respond...and maybe they are closer to NH. Good luck.
This is awesome, thank you for your reply and reassurance. I didn’t think it was necessary, and was starting to get bummed out spending $500 for the software and thinking was going to need to spend another $700 or so for the button that I won’t use. I will continue my search!
If anyone knows of a dealer in New England or even NY that will do this please let me know.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also just purchased a 2017 volcano grey gts last week! Love the car, almost fully loaded, but no apple car play. Is adding apple CarPlay functionality literally just a software upgrade, excluding the voice control stalk? No additional chips or connectors? Is there no way to install the software yourself?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats, love mine. Bought mine in the middle of January.
Supposedly easy as having the dealer download and install the software, like adding a new program onto a computer. Buy the license key and they install it. I’m just having the issue of finding a dealer to do just that. The ones near me want to do the stalk too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats, love mine. Bought mine in the middle of January.
Supposedly easy as having the dealer download and install the software, like adding a new program onto a computer. Buy the license key and they install it. I’m just having the issue of finding a dealer to do just that. The ones near me want to do the stalk too.
Car is at the dealership now. I told them I wanted carplay installed and that with research I found that it could be installed without the stalk. They price matched online pricing for the license key, and got a total quote for $650 Installed. No questions or upsells for the voice activation stalk. Maybe theyre making excuses because you bought your own license key? call again and see if you can get a different service person that knows what they’re talking about?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an appointment Thursday at 2 at Porsche Norwell, they seem to have no issue doing it, but we will see come Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
dropped my 2018 turbo at the dealer this morning for two warranty issues & asked if they could add carplay. at first, the SA told me it wasn’t possible, so i showed him the part on suncoastparts.com. he disappeared for a few minutes and when he returned, he told me they could do it.

he then asked if my vehicle had voice control & navigation, which it does, and he quoted a price that matched the suncoast price. they do have to order a part, which will add a day to the service, so i’ll pick it up tomorrow and report back.

if anyone is interested in adding carplay but has questions, let me know what they are and i’ll ask when i return to pick up my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Car is at the dealership now. I told them I wanted carplay installed and that with research I found that it could be installed without the stalk. They price matched online pricing for the license key, and got a total quote for $650 Installed. No questions or upsells for the voice activation stalk. Maybe theyre making excuses because you bought your own license key? call again and see if you can get a different service person that knows what they’re talking about?
Don’t know if this should be good or bad news, but they found the leaking timing case issue and will repair it under warranty. They also mentioned my brakes are at 4mm and I’ll need new brakes soon when the warning sensors go off at 2mm. Positive thinking says the service department went above and beyond to inspect my car even though I just needed a software update. Negative thinking says they did an inspection in hopes to find issues they can recommend I fix.

·
Registered
481 Posts
dropped my 2018 turbo at the dealer this morning for two warranty issues & asked if they could add carplay. at first, the SA told me it wasn’t possible, so i showed him the part on suncoastparts.com. he disappeared for a few minutes and when he returned, he told me they could do it.

he then asked if my vehicle had voice control & navigation, which it does, and he quoted a price that matched the suncoast price. they do have to order a part, which will add a day to the service, so i’ll pick it up tomorrow and report back.

if anyone is interested in adding carplay but has questions, let me know what they are and i’ll ask when i return to pick up my vehicle.

Great news - you'll enjoy the feature!! Some dealers still think erroneously that you need voice control to add Car Play - you absolutely do not.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to my appointment at Porsche Norwell, Norwell MA. Service advisor was great, took the car right in as soon as I got there, took close to two hours, at first the software took, but they said there was an error that carplay wouldn’t come up every time. They updated the entire electronics something or other, and then did the software update again and it was perfect. Charged one hour of labor.
They were great.
Now loving my carplay with no additional stalk!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice! Glad everything worked out. After finding a leaking timing case, they broke a vacuum line, and had to order the part. Going on 1 week without the car now ?. My loaner car does have apple carplay though and I’m definitely glad I’m installing it

·
Registered
28 Posts
got my car back today and carplay worked flawlessly. total bill, after tax, was $911. a bit pricey for something that is now standard in most new cars but glad i added it.

also had the squeaky steering wheel issue fixed and a faulty fuel door lock replaced.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got my car back today and carplay worked flawlessly. total bill, after tax, was $911. a bit pricey for something that is now standard in most new cars but glad i added it.

also had the squeaky steering wheel issue fixed and a faulty fuel door lock replaced.

Did they add the stalk with the button on the end? Seems like a lot for just carplay software and like a great deal if they added the button? Porsche Nashua quoted me upwards of $1k to add the stalk and program it if I supplied the carplay software license key. I paid $500 for the license key from Porsche Atlanta, and Porsche Norwell did the install for $179.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did they add the stalk with the button on the end? Seems like a lot for just carplay software and like a great deal if they added the button? Porsche Nashua quoted me upwards of $1k to add the stalk and program it if I supplied the carplay software license key. I paid $500 for the license key from Porsche Atlanta, and Porsche Norwell did the install for $179.

my macan has voice control, so it already had the correct stalk. yes, i stated in my previous post that $900 was expensive for carplay.

so, you payed $679 total? did that include the voice control stalk?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I don’t have the stalk and didn’t want to pay for it as you can just press the button on your phone or the lower left of the radio display.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My total cost ended up being $644.44. They price matched the software cost online ($468.56) and charged $175.88 labor

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm taking my car in for CarPlay retrofit; where are you finding it for $469 online?

My total cost ended up being $644.44. They price matched the software cost online ($468.56) and charged $175.88 labor

1 - 20 of 73 Posts