Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a loaner while my car is in the shop . They pulled up in a new refresh Macan . The loaner I have is base bones . It has Bose and a few minor options but overall it's a no frills 50K MSRP Macan . I like it !!

A few things I have noticed :
1) I love the position of the center AC vents . I tested them in the former car .
2) The technology is not insane like the Panamera or Cayenne .. it's much more user friendly !!
3) Styling -- From the front I could barely see a change until I get into the details . The rear ... well .. I'll just leave it at that .

The Macan drives very nice . I also feel the base car ought to be as no frills as possible . Any option added is a huge price bump so the idea of adding nearly nothing makes the car a great 55K Car .

There isn't anything else which really stood out over the last car which I reviewed more in depth . I would recommend the car ... just remember .. light on options.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I think Porsche got it right with tech and entertainment on the refresh; bigger and nicer screens coupled with simple and well-places buttons. I agree with you that especially with the Panamera they went way over the top with the textile screens and buttonless operation. The facelift Macan looks really good inside.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was given a loaner while my car is in the shop . They pulled up in a new refresh Macan . The loaner I have is base bones . It has Bose and a few minor options but overall it's a no frills 50K MSRP Macan . I like it !!

A few things I have noticed :
1) I love the position of the center AC vents . I tested them in the former car .
2) The technology is not insane like the Panamera or Cayenne .. it's much more user friendly !!
3) Styling -- From the front I could barely see a change until I get into the details . The rear ... well .. I'll just leave it at that .

The Macan drives very nice . I also feel the base car ought to be as no frills as possible . Any option added is a huge price bump so the idea of adding nearly nothing makes the car a great 55K Car .

There isn't anything else which really stood out over the last car which I reviewed more in depth . I would recommend the car ... just remember .. light on options.
So no noticeable changes felt due to reducing HP and revised suspension?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I would recommend the car ... just remember .. light on options.
I tend to agree with you. However, a base Macan will probably be the first Porsche for many people. As a result, people want to "reward" themselves with some nice options to make the Macan a bit more special. Hard for someone to show off their new Porsche and have to explain why it doesn't have a pano moonroof, Bose stereo, fancy wheels, nav, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had one for nearly a week as a loaner and agree that the new infotainment stack with the bigger screen and Apple CarPlay make it noticeably better than my Turbo. The newer vent placements are also an improvement in function. I didn't expect much from the comparison in acceleration and handling of course, but overall felt it was comfortable for normal commuting.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I tend to agree with you. However, a base Macan will probably be the first Porsche for many people. As a result, people want to "reward" themselves with some nice options to make the Macan a bit more special. Hard for someone to show off their new Porsche and have to explain why it doesn't have a pano moonroof, Bose stereo, fancy wheels, nav, etc.
I disagree with Larry on this one. I recently ordered my third Macan. My first was a 2015 S, my second and current is a 2018 base and my new one that will be in around the first of November is a 2020 base Macan. I ordered it the way I wanted it. I have not had any issues selling any of my previous Macans. In fact, I have three different people that want to buy my 2018 base and it is a fairly loaded base. So I don't think having it loaded has hurt my resale, to the contrary, it has actually helped it. Most people expect a Porsche to be loaded, even a base Macan.

My new 2020 base is even more loaded. (see Porsche Code below).

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLE6JMA3

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I disagree with Larry on this one. I recently ordered my third Macan. My first was a 2015 S, my second and current is a 2018 base and my new one that will be in around the first of November is a 2020 base Macan. I ordered it the way I wanted it. I have not had any issues selling any of my previous Macans. In fact, I have three different people that want to buy my 2018 base and it is a fairly loaded base. So I don't think having it loaded has hurt my resale, to the contrary, it has actually helped it. Most people expect a Porsche to be loaded, even a base Macan.

My new 2020 base is even more loaded. (see Porsche Code below).

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLE6JMA3
Larry isn’t talking about no one wanting it. He’s talking about the percentage you lose increasing with the ticking of more boxes. Of course people would rather buy a car w more options.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My wife better fits the demographic who would be attracted to the base. The problem, as stated, is when you start hanging options on it that should be expected in a $60K plus modern vehicle, it's not much of a percentage step up to an S. Our pet peeve is having to pay to finish painting the exterior of the car. Also, having to pay a la carte for safety features that come bundled at a much more reasonable price from other manufacturers is also quite bothersome.

I am not particularly price sensitive, but nobody wants to overpay. My wife and I got kicked out of a dealership last week for proposing a 8% discount for an optioned '20 Macan S. Actually told to leave....

Run the KBB numbers for basic and optioned out Macans and you'll find that options are nearly valueless. Try again same basis with a higher trimmed Macan and see how much more (as a percentage) of the original value is maintained. It's an eye opener.

Heed Larry's wisdom here.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My wife better fits the demographic who would be attracted to the base. The problem, as stated, is when you start hanging options on it that should be expected in a $60K plus modern vehicle, it's not much of a percentage step up to an S. Our pet peeve is having to pay to finish painting the exterior of the car. Also, having to pay a la carte for safety features that come bundled at a much more reasonable price from other manufacturers is also quite bothersome.

I am not particularly price sensitive, but nobody wants to overpay. My wife and I got kicked out of a dealership last week for proposing a 8% discount for an optioned '20 Macan S. Actually told to leave....

Run the KBB numbers for basic and optioned out Macans and you'll find that options are nearly valueless. Try again same basis with a higher trimmed Macan and see how much more (as a percentage) of the original value is maintained. It's an eye opener.

Wow. (The asked to leave part.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Larry isn’t talking about no one wanting it. He’s talking about the percentage you lose increasing with the ticking of more boxes. Of course people would rather buy a car w more options.
In my experience, you don't lose that much. I have driven my fairly loaded 2018 base Macan for 2-years and will be getting a fair price when I sell it in a couple of months when my 2020 gets here. Plus I got to enjoy the costly options for 2-years. So how is that losing? Another plus with the base Macan is the gas mileage. I am currently getting on average 28 MPG with all city driving and I for one think it is plenty fast enough. Currently the new 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum is almost 70k and I would much rather have my loaded base 2020 Macan for just under 70k.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
My 2015 S was optioned at $60,500 with some nice options (see my sig).

As much as I like the Base Macan I wouldn't option it over $60k. Otherwise, just get the S.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
In my experience, you don't lose that much. I have driven my fairly loaded 2018 base Macan for 2-years and will be getting a fair price when I sell it in a couple of months when my 2020 gets here. Plus I got to enjoy the costly options for 2-years. So how is that losing? Another plus with the base Macan is the gas mileage. I am currently getting on average 28 MPG with all city driving and I for one think it is plenty fast enough. Currently the new 2020 Ford Explorer is around 70k with a few options and I would much rather have my loaded base 2020 Macan for under 70k.
Oh I agree 100% about the options. If i was to order a Turbo today, it would sticker at $110k. I’d rather lose money at trade in on options vs not get the ones that make me enjoy the vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
>>>So how is that losing?

I'm with you . . . buy precisely what YOU want . . . enjoy the by-golly out of it and don't give a rat's patoot about subsequent owners.

I want as good a deal as I can get . . .but, I am not sacrificing my current enjoyment in quest of what some hypothetical used car buyer may find desirable.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The true cost of checking the boxes is heavily dependent on your ownership period. I plan on 8 years. At that point I will have extracted a lot of value from my options. Resale at that point will be pretty much the same for the S and Base —- not much for either ;).

Enjoy your ride. We each value things differently. Porsche offers something for everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I see you are in So Cal. Was it South Bay? They are seriously weird over there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bought two Panameras before I bought my 2019 base Macan. I think that the base Macan is perhaps the best *new* vehicle on the planet for $50k (USD); I can't think of another vehicle as good and fun to drive for that money. I special-ordered mine to keep the purchase price low, with few options (no pano roof, no interior or exterior alterations that cost money other than adding a dash-mounted compass and 14-way seats; I find the base audio system to be exceptionally good). I'm very happy with my purchase for low cost (after buying a $115k Panamera E-Hybrid last year, I got the Macan for a more practical daily driver), and I have zero regrets about the peppiness of getting a base Macan, which I feel is quite well loaded with standard options in starting form (chiefly lacking ACC and LCA). I'll probably go for another E-Hybrid for my next car/Porsche, but this is great at the price point. As somebody used to driving a 462-hp Porsche, I find the base Macan engine excellent for the price, and fun to drive.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So no noticeable changes felt due to reducing HP and revised suspension?
Not really . Understand though that my point of reference doesn't get too excited with SUV's . The things which stood out the most were the interior changes.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand this yet the money saved on frivolous options can go to the next Porsche . They are like potato chips .. can't just eat one.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my experience, you don't lose that much. I have driven my fairly loaded 2018 base Macan for 2-years and will be getting a fair price when I sell it in a couple of months when my 2020 gets here. Plus I got to enjoy the costly options for 2-years. So how is that losing? Another plus with the base Macan is the gas mileage. I am currently getting on average 28 MPG with all city driving and I for one think it is plenty fast enough. Currently the new 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum is almost 70k and I would much rather have my loaded base 2020 Macan for just under 70k.
Your car is not grossly over optioned . The wheels and ACC are the big ticket items ,

My biggest problem with the lower trim model is the high percentage cost of an identical option compared to a high trim model . Those wheels fort instance are free on a GTS (included in base price bundle) and only 3 percent or so on. a Turbo .

It's not the car you are paying more for .. its those wheels on that car . Yet I can understand it .. been there .. done it . Plus ordering a car means buying it to specifics which is even more understandable .

I still buck at the option price on the base cars.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm glad the new vent placement works, and truly delighted that they kept the center console buttons for now as they are so intuitive.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
27 Participants
sevencyclist
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing