Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, friends.....current owner of a MY17 MacanS, with 60k miles, with major itch to move on. By the fact youre on this forum means you know that feeling. Have my heart set on a 21 GTS, but have that nagging feeling I’m spending $90 on old technology. The newest gen of the Cayenne has a more updated electronics et al package, but is a totally different car. Anyone else drive and compare the two recently? TIA,

·
Registered
177 Posts
If having the latest and the greatest in electronics technology is a high priority for you, you are probably shopping the wrong brand altogether. Very rarely has Porsche been a leader in that respect.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had a base Cayenne loaner while the Macan GTS was in for service.
Very nice comfortable drive about same price as a new 2021 GTS Macan.
If is was not just my wife and I and we needed the rear seat room the Cayenne would be a good choice.
Those glass touch screens are nice but I like the buttons and shiftier on mine better. By the way the first drive to work stopping at guard shack I did not know you need to push a button to place in park and went back a few feet.
I test drove a MB SUV with that stalk shiftier where you would expect the wiper blades handle to be. Did not like that either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took my 2018 GTS in for an annual service a few weeks ago and they gave me a brand new Cayenne as a loaner. Beautiful, comfortable, decent amount of zip. It Was incredibly boring and bloated to drive compared to my car.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It Was incredibly boring and bloated to drive compared to my car.
I think the new Cayenne handles very well for its size. Much more agile versus our X5.

Of course it's generally not going to match the Macan for agility, and no one would ever expect it to.

If you had a base model Cayenne as a loaner, yes it's boring given the lack of power. But try a Turbo with PDCC and you will be shocked how sporty it is. But at that point we are talking big bucks.

The new Cayenne GTS sounds very interesting. But still there's only so much that can be done to disguise the extra weight of a larger vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If having the latest and the greatest in electronics technology is a high priority for you, you are probably shopping the wrong brand altogether. Very rarely has Porsche been a leader in that respect.
I think you misinterpreted my post. But thanks for responding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, everyone. You pretty much confirmed my gut thoughts. I watched a video comparing Macans (in general) to Cayennes. The guy pretty much said “you’re getting an outdated instrument cluster, not-the-best PCM tech, and the fact there’s an upgrade in a year or two”. So, it got me thinking, and I wanted to test the collective intelligence of this group. I am on the East Coast USA, so I am trying to time my build for early Spring, and delivery in Atlanta Absolutely love my ‘17 S, but it’ll have 70k by March.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had a base Cayenne loaner while the Macan GTS was in for service.
Very nice comfortable drive about same price as a new 2021 GTS Macan.
If is was not just my wife and I and we needed the rear seat room the Cayenne would be a good choice.
Those glass touch screens are nice but I like the buttons and shiftier on mine better. By the way the first drive to work stopping at guard shack I did not know you need to push a button to place in park and went back a few feet.
I test drove a MB SUV with that stalk shiftier where you would expect the wiper blades handle to be. Did not like that either.
StevePA.....just my arm-candy trophy wife of 41 years now. (Wrote that in case she reads this) Daughters are in CA. So your post is exactly what I was hoping someone would post. TY

Reactions: StevePA

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi @DocJay, we have a 2016 Macan Turbo and recently bought 2020 Cayenne Turbo (no PDCC optioned intentionally). It sounds like the tech is a concern for you to go for the 2021 GTS and it is apparent when I get out of the Cayenne and drive our 2016 with PCM 3.1 and then drive a 2021 Macan loaner that has a mix of new PCM but older style instrument cluster and press button rows which would certainly hold us back in upgrading our 2016 that does not need the upgrade in the driving and sound department with its 3.6. So if the tech is the concern then I would advise waiting on the next Macan, however, if you want the tech, drive, and sound then this is where the big bucks come in to get into a V8 (GTS/Turbo) Cayenne with anything else a compromise. We just took the Cayenne on a 1,500 mile roundtrip from Indiana to Florida and with all the driving tech that it has standard (AS, Active Aero Spoiler) and what we optioned (Rear Wheel Steer, PTV+, and SC, 4-Zone climate with Front/Rear Cooled Seats) with 3 of us and full trunk of luggage it felt smaller than it really is and drove effortlessly with immense amount of fun and full interior comfort on a 2 hour cross country connector across Alabama and Florida. Not to mention that the new real time Nav tech that tells you how to avoid highway backups (and we encountered many) which also showed us a much better path than Google maps did. This trip compare to our 600 mile roundtrip to Nashville in a Macan was a lot more comfortable given most of it is highway and extra interior and luggage space is a necessity for a 12 hour one way drive.

Reactions: windblow and DocJay

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the new Cayenne handles very well for its size. Much more agile versus our X5.

Of course it's generally not going to match the Macan for agility, and no one would ever expect it to.

If you had a base model Cayenne as a loaner, yes it's boring given the lack of power. But try a Turbo with PDCC and you will be shocked how sporty it is. But at that point we are talking big bucks.

The new Cayenne GTS sounds very interesting. But still there's only so much that can be done to disguise the extra weight of a larger vehicle.
No disagreement. The size/weight was absolutely a bigger factor in my lack of enthusiasm in driving the car than anything performance-related.

While I love my car, the only direction I foresee going if I get another Porsche is smaller and lighter, or another Macan with more performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had my ‘17S in for service and got a base ‘20 with 1k miles as a loaner. Aside from not liking the base engine, I couldn’t help but think how if I was in the market for a new car if I got another Macan I would feel like I’m driving the exact same car. Aside from the better PCM screen there have been zero upgrades. I’m sure the electronic buttons like on the cayenne are coming soon. But I certainly wouldn’t be excited about buying another Macan at this point in the refresh cycle. On another note I just put a deposit down on the Tesla Cybertruck (it’s only $200 and refundable) which I think is due out in a year or so...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just sold my 2018 Base Macan to upgrade to GTS (or possibly Turbo). Can't decide between some nice CPO's (50-60K or going 'all in' for a 2021 (85K). The main reason for the 2021 would be the new engine and the new PCM.

I have calculated that the difference in price over a 3 year period of ownership is likely less than $10K. Not an insignificant amount of $$ but also, perhaps, not material when talking about cars at this price point.

Still on the fence and don't know which way I am leaning....but, either way, there is no car I'd rather have right now than another Macan- new tech or old tech. I just think that- for me- it is the perfect vehicle. Fun yet practical, perfect size (as I'd say I drive 75% alone, 15% with my wife and less than 10% of the time with any passengers, great build quality, etc.

Yes- the tech is not a 10 out of 10. If that was my goal (and I am generally very into tech!), I'd get an SQ5.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
55 Posts
I just sold my 2018 Base Macan to upgrade to GTS (or possibly Turbo). Can't decide between some nice CPO's (50-60K or going 'all in' for a 2021 (85K). The main reason for the 2021 would be the new engine and the new PCM.

I have calculated that the difference in price over a 3 year period of ownership is likely less than $10K. Not an insignificant amount of $$ but also, perhaps, not material when talking about cars at this price point.

Still on the fence and don't know which way I am leaning....but, either way, there is no car I'd rather have right now than another Macan- new tech or old tech. I just think that- for me- it is the perfect vehicle. Fun yet practical, perfect size (as I'd say I drive 75% alone, 15% with my wife and less than 10% of the time with any passengers, great build quality, etc.

Yes- the tech is not a 10 out of 10. If that was my goal (and I am generally very into tech!), I'd get an SQ5.
Not sure the new engine is such a plus. At least not when going for the Turbo, but for 85k you wouldn't get a new Turbo anyhow.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The new Cayenne Turbo/Coupe is a great SUV. It is a bigger vehicle but with the lowering air suspension, rear wheel steering, PTV+ and sport chronos, you don't notice the size except where comfort counts. I recently drove 1500 miles r/t to my sister's place in Wilmington NC and it was a total blast. The rear wheel steering on the Cayenne is a game changer - much more so than in my 991 Turbo S! When you turn the steering wheel on a sharp turn, the rear-end rotates like it was going to go out but of course it just sticks to the road like glue and makes the turn effortlessly on a dime - it really is a must have option on a bigger/heavier vehicle like the Cayenne. I don't miss my Macan GTS at all. The Cayenne with the above options drives just as good. It gets the fresh look and better tech - oh yeah, the heads-up display is another do not miss option. The down side is that it's twice the cost of the Macan GTS.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The new Cayenne Turbo/Coupe is a great SUV. It is a bigger vehicle but with the lowering air suspension, rear wheel steering, PTV+ and sport chronos, you don't notice the size except where comfort counts.
For twice the cost it should drive more than "just as good"!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
For twice the cost it should drive more than "just as good"!
LOL, true. The Macan is a hard act to follow. I would have been driving another Macan if Porsche had come up with another 100 hp for the Macan Turbo instead of the meager 434

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 2020 Macan (my car) and a 2020 Cayenne (my wife's). Very different vehicles but love them both. The Macan is smaller and sportier while the Cayenne is larger but still a fast and excellent handlng SUV. I prefer the Macan as my daily driver, but my wife prefers the space of the Cayenne and our family needs it for longer trips with two 6' teenage sons. As for the technology difference, my wife actually prefers the physical buttons in the Macan (and her old 2017 Cayenne) to the all digital Cayenne. The new PCM in the 2020 Macan is a nice update and I don't miss most of the other technology upgrades the Cayenne has versus my Macan. The decision between the two should come down to which one fits your needs better, not which one is the newer design.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts