Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2021 Macan GTS & 2015 Cayman GTS (Carmine Red)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, spent about 9 months here on the forums (mostly lurking), but happy to say that my 21 GTS has FINALLY arrived!

Back Story: I'm a Porsche Fanatic and already have a '15 Cayman GTS which is my pride and joy. About 12 months ago I started looking for a new daily drive, budget varied depending on the day 馃槀 but went from:

"Be sensible - it's a daily drive - spend $30k"
to
"You need to enjoy your every day drive - spend $60k"
to
"YOLO get what you want, you work hard enough - spend $100k"

So I spent 6-months or so scouring Carsales, and was very close at the start of the pandemic to picking up a near-new VW Tiguan. Unfortunately (or rather... fortunately) they were in limited supply and priced too high for what they were (imho).

The Macan was always in my 'list' but more because I'm a Porsche fan, and I was looking at 2016-2018 models with CPO but in my head the little voices were having quite loud arguments about the fact that "You don't need two Porsches".

Anyway, around July I got to a stage where I said "F-IT, I'm going to get a new car, used car prices have gone wild, why not" and about that same time my wife 'made me' stop in and check out a Volcano Grey CPO in our local dealership... Yes I do love her she is amazing 馃槉. It was a nice spec however it was a little pricey and it didn't have heated seats (which was a deal breaker for me)... so a quick step into the showroom, a cold-start of the 2020 GTS on the floor, and a week later we were test driving and signing the papers (early August).

Being the sensible man I am (having just spent 5x my initial daily-driver budget 馃ぃ), and not being in any hurry (at the time... 馃檮) I decided I would wait for a 2021 Build Date (as opposed to picking up a new car near Christmas Time ... seemed like a good idea at the time... and so begun 9-months of waiting.

The first 4 months were actually OK (August - December)
Then in month 5 my build was completed (January)
And the months from January to now have been the longest ever! 馃槀 Particularly the last month of tracking the ship, and then seeing it sit outside of port for 14-days (no-known-reason)!

Anyway, not to bore you all too much, on Friday evening I picked up my new baby. Managed to scrape in as the last delivery before a snap 3-day lockdown (and long weekend) - so I was very lucky!

I've now spent three days cleaning, decontaminating and protecting the car, so here are some happy snaps.

IMG_6406.JPEG IMG_6430.JPEG IMG_6510.JPEG IMG_6517.JPEG IMG_6511.JPEG

Initial driving reviews coming soon :cool:

Registered
Congrats @Beau it's beautiful. Love the wheels and volcano looks great! Have fun breaking it in now that you can leave the house again! Can't wait t hear your thoughts.

Registered
Congrats! The VG is so sharp. What color did you go with for the interior?

Like you I originally was looking at CPO GTSs but with such strong resale values on '17s and '18s for the additional increment it seemed to make more sense to get a 3-4 yr newer car with the newer engine and slightly better tech. Also didn't hurt that I I don't need the car now.

Also like you I didn't think I needed two Porsches but the winter hibernation of my 2017 Carrera coupe has become too difficult to endure and I want to enjoy driving every time I get in a car. Easier to rationalize when others are feeling the same way.

Congrats again! I have been struggling between NB and VG and your picts make a strong argument for VG.

Registered
Congrats mate, looks awesome , I always liked the VG and GTS combo ! I also started with a modest budget and ended up completely blowing it, now just the options on the new car are worth more than my current ride 馃槀

Registered
2021 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue.
Congratulations. Your Macan looks awesome. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Beau

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats @Beau it's beautiful. Love the wheels and volcano looks great! Have fun breaking it in now that you can leave the house again! Can't wait t hear your thoughts.
Thanks mate :) Insanely happy with it - as soon as I found that 'sport' button on the way home from the dealer I knew I'd made the right choice! Lots of run-in miles ahead!

Great story and very well told. I echo what smemick said, "it's beautiful."
More details on the car, especially the interior?
Thank you :). I'll take some interior photos soon but in the meantime - my Spec: The Porsche Code

It is a relatively basic specification (compared to some here) - I initially spec'd right up, and then slowly rationalized all those choices down.
Glad I got the red-dials (as that matches my Cayman), kind of wish I'd added the red seatbelts... Before anybody asks, I'm not a fan of the sunroof, so that was an easy delete - and I do like dark interiors on all my cars!

Congrats! The VG is so sharp. What color did you go with for the interior?
Thanks :) Black Leather interior - very much a 'Darth Vader' Spec!

...and I want to enjoy driving every time I get in a car. Easier to rationalize when others are feeling the same way.

Congrats again! I have been struggling between NB and VG and your picts make a strong argument for VG.
THIS is exactly why I made the choice, life's too short to drive boring cars ;) Glad I'm not the only one... I'd suggest there is a few of us on here! 馃榿

The Volcano color choice was probably my biggest worry - despite having seen a few on the road and at the dealer - it is a color that has a lot of metallic in it, and so it really does change depending on the lighting. It is also super hard to photograph for that reason - but I can say that when it is cleaned/waxed and is 'popping' in the sun it looks amazing! 猬団瑖猬

IMG_6460.JPEG

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
~150km of Driving - Thoughts:

• This car is so comfortable to drive, the seating position (low and hunkered inside the body, but still with correct alignment) is excellent.
  • The 360 camera set-up makes parking a breeze - love it! This car is a lot wider than my previous daily, but parking is much easier.
  • I'm very happy with the 14-way seats; I had many moments of panic thinking that I should've spec'd the 18-ways, but the 14-ways are very comfortable, and I'm already finding myself being lazy getting in and out (and sitting on the bolsters :oops:) - like driving on a sofa!
  • Front headlights at night are amazing, visibility is better than anything I've driven before.
  • Wireless Carplay works a treat.
    • However Carplay integration on the screen is annoying; I use WAZE a lot - and the map is just so small.
    • I have noticed that with Carplay automatically starting when I get in the car, Waze becomes active automatically and sits in the background; from there I'm able to have anything on the screen (including the PCM map), and digital radio playing, and I still get audio alerts (IE construction ahead, etc) - I'm assuming these are from WAZE (?) - I think I could almost live with that... if that is indeed what is happening! The joys of learning a new car 馃槀
  • Lastly, this thing is such a beast! Haven't taken it above 5k RPM yet, but have spent a fair bit of time in Sport Mode and the power is awesome - looking forward to getting through run in and being able to rev it out a bit more 馃榿
More to come as the KMs keep rising!

P.S. Here's a quick photo of a my new parking habits... my daily step count is going through the roof 馃ぃ
2021-04-29 08_31_04-Window.png

Registered
2021 Macan GTS

• This car is so comfortable to drive, the seating position (low and hunkered inside the body, but still with correct alignment) is excellent.
  • The 360 camera set-up makes parking a breeze - love it! This car is a lot wider than my previous daily, but parking is much easier.
  • I'm very happy with the 14-way seats; I had many moments of panic thinking that I should've spec'd the 18-ways, but the 14-ways are very comfortable, and I'm already finding myself being lazy getting in and out (and sitting on the bolsters :oops:) - like driving on a sofa!
  • Front headlights at night are amazing, visibility is better than anything I've driven before.
    • However Carplay integration on the screen is annoying; I use WAZE a lot - and the map is just so small.
    • I have noticed that with Carplay automatically starting when I get in the car, Waze becomes active automatically and sits in the background; from there I'm able to have anything on the screen (including the PCM map), and digital radio playing, and I still get audio alerts (IE construction ahead, etc) - I'm assuming these are from WAZE (?) - I think I could almost live with that... if that is indeed what is happening! The joys of learning a new car 馃槀
  • Lastly, this thing is such a beast! Haven't taken it above 5k RPM yet, but have spent a fair bit of time in Sport Mode and the power is awesome - looking forward to getting through run in and being able to rev it out a bit more 馃榿

P.S. Here's a quick photo of a my new parking habits... my daily step count is going through the roof 馃ぃ
View attachment 242116
Great parking spot @Beau - I couldn't help but be reminded of this TV commercial. :)

Happy to hear that you're enjoying your new GTS.

Registered

View attachment 242116
My parking habits are similar to yours now too! Actually, other day I had to go see a client, so took the 4 year old mercedes instead as was worried about the Macan getting dinged... and also TBH thought the rust bucket would be a better look than the new Macan 馃槀馃槀.
Don't tell Porsche but I put mine into S+ and the difference was dramatic to say the least!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just filled up the tank for the first time, so some more reflections

~550km of Driving

• Fuel economy is at about 12L per 100km - expecting that to improve as the car runs in, but also worsen as I start driving above 5k RPM ;)
  • Rev'd 'accidentally' to about 5500 a few times - bit heavy with the right-foot - but wow the car does come alive - I call it 'Beast Mode' - looking forward to doing that more often!
  • Heated seats are amazing and heat up quickly, so glad I waited for them, particularly as the cold weather is just starting to hit.
  • Have decided to map my <> button to the park assist - so I can bring that up whilst navigating carparks, etc. As it doesn't work for Carplay this seems to be the best use of the button for me - but that may change as I get more comfortable with the size of the car.
  • I've redone the layout of the PCM so it is more 'intuitive' for me. I now have a list of favorites showing on the right, map on the left, and in the middle I have a large Carplay button and the back/forward/pause buttons for music. This means I can switch between Carplay and PCM a lot quicker.
  • BOSE is impressive - but quality varies with the quality of the media - if you're playing low quality media/radio - don't bother. Playing Spotify/Apple-Music the system really comes alive.

OK, a few quirks...
  • We had some smoke haze recently, upon pressing the recirculation button (for the first time) the AC went to "HI" and wouldn't let me change it... I had to turn the AC off to get back to normal (and not cook) - normal behavior?
  • I dropped my father at the shopping centre yesterday - left him at the front door whilst I went off to find the 'ultimate' car parking spot (which I did btw) - as I was driving through the carpark the seatbelt warning for the rear was going off constantly, despite nobody sitting in that seat anymore... maybe all these systems are just 'warming up' with their first uses 馃槀
  • How does the rear of the car get so dirty... even when it is standing still! Crazy amount of dust back there...

On the shopping list...
  • Screen Protector for the PCM (Any suggestions?)
  • Luggage Net for the boot (TTIO)
  • All weather floor mats (likely will go OEM)
  • Sunshade for the front window (Maybe Covercraft..?)
  • Some form of wireless charger for the phone in the centre console (I like the look of the 3D printed one from the UK Forum)
Happy Snaps from the first few weeks of actual use!
:cool:

IMG_6611.JPEG IMG_6609.JPEG IMG_6543.JPEG

More to come

Registered
OK, a few quirks...
  • We had some smoke haze recently, upon pressing the recirculation button (for the first time) the AC went to "HI" and wouldn't let me change it... I had to turn the AC off to get back to normal (and not cook) - normal behavior?
  • I dropped my father at the shopping centre yesterday - left him at the front door whilst I went off to find the 'ultimate' car parking spot (which I did btw) - as I was driving through the carpark the seatbelt warning for the rear was going off constantly, despite nobody sitting in that seat anymore... maybe all these systems are just 'warming up' with their first uses 馃槀
  • How does the rear of the car get so dirty... even when it is standing still! Crazy amount of dust back there...

On the shopping list...
  • Some form of wireless charger for the phone in the centre console (I like the look of the 3D printed one from the UK Forum)

More to come
Quirks
  • I'll leave the recirc for someone else. I honestly don't know.
  • For the rear seat belt thing, that's not good. That's just plain wrong. See your dealer.
  • There is a whole thread either here, or on rennlist (or both) about it. My wife's Cayenne does the same thing.

Shopping list:
- Screen protector: Amazon. It's a little more reflective than the PCM screen itself, but you can clean it without worrying about scratching your screen.

Registered
Forgot to mention one thing about that screen protector: Note the description - it does great things for your Macan:

RUIYA Center Touch Control Screen Protector for 2019 2020 2021 Porsche Macan 10.9INCH Car Navigation Tempered Glass 9H Hardness Anti-Explosion & Scratch HD Clear Macan Car Acceccories

Registered
Just filled up the tank for the first time, so some more reflections

~550km of Driving

• Fuel economy is at about 12L per 100km - expecting that to improve as the car runs in, but also worsen as I start driving above 5k RPM ;)
  • Rev'd 'accidentally' to about 5500 a few times - bit heavy with the right-foot - but wow the car does come alive - I call it 'Beast Mode' - looking forward to doing that more often!
  • Heated seats are amazing and heat up quickly, so glad I waited for them, particularly as the cold weather is just starting to hit.
  • Have decided to map my <> button to the park assist - so I can bring that up whilst navigating carparks, etc. As it doesn't work for Carplay this seems to be the best use of the button for me - but that may change as I get more comfortable with the size of the car.
  • I've redone the layout of the PCM so it is more 'intuitive' for me. I now have a list of favorites showing on the right, map on the left, and in the middle I have a large Carplay button and the back/forward/pause buttons for music. This means I can switch between Carplay and PCM a lot quicker.
  • BOSE is impressive - but quality varies with the quality of the media - if you're playing low quality media/radio - don't bother. Playing Spotify/Apple-Music the system really comes alive.

OK, a few quirks...

On the shopping list...

View attachment 242458 View attachment 242456 View attachment 242457

More to come
Nice Beau. The seatbelt/occupancy warning thing is driving me crazy too, think there's a problem cos dropped in-laws off yesterday and even though stopped and re-started the car it started chiming. Only way to turn off is to switch car off/on again.

Just noticed your personalised plates Beau's Bad Ass GTS?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The seatbelt/occupancy warning thing is driving me crazy too, think there's a problem cos dropped in-laws off yesterday and even though stopped and re-started the car it started chiming. Only way to turn off is to switch car off/on again.
Glad it鈥檚 not just me鈥 will keep an eye on it (I don鈥檛 carry many passengers back there鈥

Just noticed your personalised plates Beau's Bad Ass GTS?
Pretty much! 馃槀

Registered
Forgot to mention one thing about that screen protector: Note the description - it does great things for your Macan:

RUIYA Center Touch Control Screen Protector for 2019 2020 2021 Porsche Macan 10.9INCH Car Navigation Tempered Glass 9H Hardness Anti-Explosion & Scratch HD Clear Macan Car Acceccories
OMG I ordered one of these. Sure hope it works! :eek:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First long road-trip completed 鉁

Just got back from a long weekend down in South West WA (Margaret River Wine Region.. for those that don't know - think long twisty roads, 110km/hr speed limits, wineries/breweries & general tourist-traps every few few minutes). More observations:

• Really pleased to see long range fuel consumption drop to about 8.6L/100km - around town I am seeing 11-12L/100km
  • The soundproofing in the floor of the car is excellent on country highways (rougher surfaces) - makes the trip much more enjoyable!
  • The suspension (PASM with 21" wheels) was great - I didn't notice any issues. I'm sure AS would be even better, but didn't feel that I was missing it.
  • The 14-way seats are excellent for long drives - was able to sit in the seats for 2hour stints without the usual 'shuffling' after the first hour or so.
  • Boot space was/is excellent - managed to fit everything in a lot easier than the old Tiguan.
  • Did quite a few gravel roads (entrances to properties/wineries/etc) - The car with PASM performed great, not jittery at all like my Tiguan previously.
    • Tried Off-Road mode (didn't really need to, just wanted to press the button 馃槀) and can certainly see the benefit and it does have a different feel on the loose surfaces.
  • Very easy to go very fast! That acceleration between 100km/hr and 1x0km/hr - wow! Need to be a bit careful :)

Just one negative - there is some whistling from the mirrors at higher speeds (particularly above 120km/hr) - may have just been the conditions on the day, not a big issue but certainly noticeable. Will keep my eye (ear) on it.

Some more happy snaps:
APC_0016.JPG APC_0029.JPG APC_0048.JPG APC_0068.JPG

Registered
Quirks
  • I'll leave the recirc for someone else. I honestly don't know.
  • For the rear seat belt thing, that's not good. That's just plain wrong. See your dealer.
  • There is a whole thread either here, or on rennlist (or both) about it. My wife's Cayenne does the same thing.

Shopping list:
- Screen protector: Amazon. It's a little more reflective than the PCM screen itself, but you can clean it without worrying about scratching your screen.
Have them check the recirculation controls for any issues while you鈥檙e in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts