Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
That looks awesome. Finally someone using it as a proper off-road capable little SUV. Seems like everyone else just lowers them, probably trying to 911-ify them in their heads, lol.

Very very cool. How noisy are those tires on the highway compared to regular all-season ones? Manageable or you put them on only when you go off-roading?

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
93 Posts
Happy to see another " wild" Macan!

For others benefit, I put Falken Wildpeak AT3a's on the stock 18" rims on my S. It has the air suspension so no need to lift it permanently. While slightly less chunky than the KO2's, they're proper AT tyres. No extra noise at highway speed but a slight hum around 35mph around town.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happy to see another " wild" Macan!

For others benefit, I put Falken Wildpeak AT3a's on the stock 18" rims on my S. It has the air suspension so no need to lift it permanently. While slightly less chunky than the KO2's, they're proper AT tyres. No extra noise at highway speed but a slight hum around 35mph around town.
Thanks for the info. I was going to ask the OP if it would have been possible to run the ATs without raising the suspension. As the Macan S now comes stock with 20" wheels, running 18" ATs would seem to provide an extra 2" for sidewall/tread, without having to lift. Is it necessary to have the AAS in the highest position with the Falken AT3s?

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
93 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was going to ask the OP if it would have been possible to run the A/Ts without raising the suspension. As the Macan S now comes stock with 20" wheels, running 18" A/Ts would seem to provide an extra 2" for sidewall/tread, without having to lift. Is it necessary to have the AAS in the highest position with the Falken AT3s?
No, not at all. I still drive mine in Low mode most of the time. But I did stick to the original staggered width/height so not actually sure I'm getting any height/sidewall benefit compared to the stock 18s (which are quite high profile to start). You could run different size tires but again, I'm not sure what would be optimal. Hope someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I'm grudgingly admitting that that looks rather cute. Grudgingly, because I didn't expect to like it & didn't expect that you actually take it off-road.

Reactions: hausdesblauen

·
Registered
418 Posts
This may sound like a crazy question but please consider that we just recently moved to a colder climate: can AT tires handle winter driving too? Planning to drive a lot in the snow around the nearby resorts but also looking for off-road trails for the summer. Could one good set cover all?

·
Registered
249 Posts
This may sound like a crazy question but please consider that we just recently moved to a colder climate: can AT tires handle winter driving too? Planning to drive a lot in the snow around the nearby resorts but also looking for off-road trails for the summer. Could one good set cover all?
Not as good as pure snows, particularly on ice. But a few AT tires have 3 snowflake ratings and will get you through a decent snow dump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's sweet! I'm guessing the fuel economy dropped 10%, but that you don't care at all!
Not at all. I monitor my fuel economy with a spreadsheet tracking data on every tank of gas, there has been no noticeable drop on fuel consumption. On the other hand, due to the increase in wheel size, the actual travel distance is under-represented on the tachometer, theoretically.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. I was going to ask the OP if it would have been possible to run the ATs without raising the suspension. As the Macan S now comes stock with 20" wheels, running 18" ATs would seem to provide an extra 2" for sidewall/tread, without having to lift. Is it necessary to have the AAS in the highest position with the Falken AT3s?
Someone else on IG/Youtube has fitted the same size tires on a set of aftermarket 18" rims without lifting or spacers. The front wheels are super tight and almost touching the suspension arm knuckle. It really depends on the offset of the rims. I added a 30mm spacer because the rim is -17mm on the offset compare to the factory one.

You can also fit in 255/55r18 (29" dia) nicely without any modifications. 29" diameter matches any of the factory wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm grudgingly admitting that that looks rather cute. Grudgingly, because I didn't expect to like it & didn't expect that you actually take it off-road.
I did not expect to like it as much when I took it offroad, since I am used to my Cayenne 957. However the macan is more nimble. The ground clearance after the lift is better than stock Cayenne 958. It just so fun to drive on the fire road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutly! the AT tires are great in snow!

"BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol."

1 - 20 of 45 Posts