Porsche Macan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just checked tracking and the carplay2air device will be here tomorrow. It shipped last Monday, so 2 weeks to get here from China.
will update once I have it in hand tomorrow!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got the device yesterday afternoon. Plugged fit into the Macan and it instantly was searching for my phone, I connected and within a few seconds I had wireless carplay for the first time. I checked for updates and let that run through and then had to reconnect. I have only tested it a few times so far, but everything works! I made a phone call, played Apple Music, used maps, text to speech, and everything is working just like it was plugged in. I now also have a battery bar that tells me what my battery is at that I didn’t before because it was plugged in and charging. I am going to use it a couple times today to report back on initial connection after some time, curious how fast and seem less it will be now.

And my GTS that I couldn’t wait any longer to put the sport classics on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got the device yesterday afternoon. Plugged fit into the Macan and it instantly was searching for my phone, I connected and within a few seconds I had wireless carplay for the first time. I checked for updates and let that run through and then had to reconnect. I have only tested it a few times so far, but everything works! I made a phone call, played Apple Music, used maps, text to speech, and everything is working just like it was plugged in. I now also have a battery bar that tells me what my battery is at that I didn’t before because it was plugged in and charging. I am going to use it a couple times today to report back on initial connection after some time, curious how fast and seem less it will be now.
View attachment 229783 View attachment 229782
View attachment 229784
View attachment 229785
View attachment 229786
View attachment 229787

And my GTS that I couldn’t wait any longer to put the sport classics on.
View attachment 229788
Curious what your thoughts are with a few more months of use. Still working well?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is still working well. I had a few hiccups with volume issues in the first few days but haven’t had them since. It connects relatively quickly and is pretty responsive. It’s quick to respond to touch, it’s about a second lag on Apple Music from touching next to the the song going to the next one. For quick around town stuff it’s exactly what I wanted. I do still plug an Apple cable in for longer trips to keep my phone charged though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!
I stumbled upon this thread at 1:45 in the morning after painstakingly searching the internet for the past 4 hours to determine if in fact I can install apple CarPlay on a 2017 Porsche Macan. I found one at a local dealer that has every option I was looking for and for a great deal however there is NO NAV and there is NO CARPLAY and there is NO VOICE STALK. So after reading through this thread the conclusion is all I have to do is purchase a product key after I purchase the vehicle and walk into my local Porsche dealer hand them the keys and tell them to install CarPlay without the stalk. Which then provide all the receipts found here. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!
I stumbled upon this thread at 1:45 in the morning after painstakingly searching the internet for the past 4 hours to determine if in fact I can install apple CarPlay on a 2017 Porsche Macan. I found one at a local dealer that has every option I was looking for and for a great deal however there is NO NAV and there is NO CARPLAY and there is NO VOICE STALK. So after reading through this thread the conclusion is all I have to do is purchase a product key after I purchase the vehicle and walk into my local Porsche dealer hand them the keys and tell them to install CarPlay without the stalk. Which then provide all the receipts found here. Lol

Would this be correct? I hope so because I will be buying this car tomorrow if that is the case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Technically, yes. Some dealerships have a hissy fit over installing it and just won’t, especially without the stalk. If you are buying from a Porsche dealer, I would have them include the cost in the purchase so they have to get it installed for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Technically, yes. Some dealerships have a hissy fit over installing it and just won’t, especially without the stalk. If you are buying from a Porsche dealer, I would have them include the cost in the purchase so they have to get it installed for you.
Thank you for responding back so fast!! The unfortunate part is it’s at the bmw dealership, however next door to the Porsche dealer (of the same owner and management) so I will try and see if I can negotiate that possibility with my findings here.
But good to know that either way it can be done. I’m just looking at one of two options: either locate a dealership who is down to do it without the stalk or suck it up and pay the additional price to add the stalk as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for responding back so fast!! The unfortunate part is it’s at the bmw dealership, however next door to the Porsche dealer (of the same owner and management) so I will try and see if I can negotiate that possibility with my findings here.
But good to know that either way it can be done. I’m just looking at one of two options: either locate a dealership who is down to do it without the stalk or suck it up and pay the additional price to add the stalk as well.
This is the car that I am hoping to end up getting as you can see it has some more desired options that I was looking for hence why the decision is tough but if I can add the CarPlay I’m sold. 2017 only 36k miles and squeaky clean history thank god. They had just gotten it in on trade hence why it’s shown in such a mess of a state here lol.
C06F9B3E-58E4-44F1-9F25-4B520438DE6D.jpeg 6D2336F0-A938-411D-AF73-6C537FDF0F6B.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can order the key online at discount porsche parts dealers for about $460 (including shipping). Install without stalk should be one hour. I suggest not allowing them them to charge more than that.

As for a used '17, I'mver assuming it is not an S? If S then be weary of the dreaded leaky timing chain cover. I suggest asking to see under the car with the under-engine shield removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can order the key online at discount porsche parts dealers for about $460 (including shipping). Install without stalk should be one hour. I suggest not allowing them them to charge more than that.

As for a used '17, I'mver assuming it is not an S? If S then be weary of the dreaded leaky timing chain cover. I suggest asking to see under the car with the under-engine shield removed.
SWEET! That’s even better than suncoastparts where I was originally looking.

This one is a Base model since that’s what I decided upon after reading up on the engine in the S tending to have issues.
Are there any other concerns I should address?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So just got off the phone with Porsche Gilbert out here in Arizona. And they quoted me a total of 2200$ which included the stalk (after telling them I didn’t need it) and cables for navigation or what not (I’m assuming for the CarPlay but can’t I just use my phones signal and be just fine) 2200$ is pretty high but going to call another dealer and find out more information on this just hoping I don’t have to locate an out of state dealer to do the work but hey road trips are fun right 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2017 Macan didn't have CarPlay. I purchased the software key (which must be shipped to you) and asked my local dealer to install/update. 2hrs of labor and the price of the software. Shouldn't be anywhere near $2200. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 Macan didn't have CarPlay. I purchased the software key (which must be shipped to you) and asked my local dealer to install/update. 2hrs of labor and the price of the software. Shouldn't be anywhere near $2200. Good Luck.
Thank you appreciate it! Congrats on getting your local dealer to do it without such a high price!
You didn’t have navigation or voice control on yours either correct?

·
Registered
308 Posts
So just got off the phone with Porsche Gilbert out here in Arizona. And they quoted me a total of 2200$ which included the stalk (after telling them I didn’t need it) and cables for navigation or what not (I’m assuming for the CarPlay but can’t I just use my phones signal and be just fine) 2200$ is pretty high but going to call another dealer and find out more information on this just hoping I don’t have to locate an out of state dealer to do the work but hey road trips are fun right 🤷🏼‍♂️😂
My used 2017 Turbo has Apple Car Play and a voice control stalk. I have yet to figure out what the voice control stall is used for. When I press the voice control button on the stalk I’ll get a message on the PCM that voice control is not available.

I connect my iPhone to the car using the USB port in the center console compartment which causes the MFD to ask if you want to use CarPlay. (It also charges your phone) Don’t know if you can connect to CarPlay by way of wi-fi or blue tooth. I was able to connect via wi-fi to the car (not car play) using my phone as a hot spot so the wi-fi services were available but not really needed.

Voice control of certain functions of car play is available through the cars mic. For example when using google maps you can choose to speak a destination rather than typing or you can speak a response to a text message and direct the message to be sent or decline to reply. I almost never use the cars navigation system on the MFD, It’s just not needed when Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze is available. CarPlay also integrates well with Apple Music and Pandora. You can also bounce between the CarPlay screen and the cars tuner so you can still listen to FM / AM or Sirius stations while using Waze, Google maps, etc. I’m pretty satisfied with how it works.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh you know what, you may actually need more than just the software key. I remember in my searching that if you don’t have nav, you need additional harnesses or antennas. I am not 100% sure. My 17 had connect, which includes nav, and for some reason if you don’t have nav you need more.
Im sorry, I forgot all about that. The stalk is a total waste of money. I’ve had mine over a year, and never had a want to press the button on the stalk that isn’t there.
Maybe look around and see if you can find another one with everything you want, especially from a dealer that is CPO. Might e worth it in the long run. As far as the 3.0, I wouldn’t rule it out if you can find a CPO. The “issues” are really the oil leaks that don’t affect every one, and if CPO, you don’t have to worry about it. The transfer case issue is likely the same with the 2.0.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!

Would this be correct? I hope so because I will be buying this car tomorrow if that is the case.
I confirmed when I got my CarPlay retrofit that Nav is a requirement to install CarPlay in the 2017+ Macans. I already had Nav but I confirmed with them that you need a sensor on/in the roof. Therefore you will likely but up for the cost of the Carplay software, Stalk and Nav. For the CarPlay + Stalk I think I paid about $1,200 out here in San Francisco

161 - 180 of 185 Posts