Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since new (but seems to be occuring more frequently now), my 2018 gts has been giving me either a "Oil pressure measurement fault driving permitted consult a workshop" or "Oil pressure too low park vehicle safely" faults which go away after 2-3 seconds. Usually happens when I'm pushing the car anywhere above 4-5k rpm. The thing is, car drives fine, nothing else wrong or fixed with the engine. Oil changed at 10k and 20k. Have brought it to the dealer twice now and they are unable to find anything wrong with the car. No fault codes are stored, sensors are working as intended according to the dealer.

Anyone have any leads to what this could be? Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sending unit?

oil pump?

the dealer's diagnostics are missing something if it's still doing it and they "can't find anything".

How about another dealer?
Frustrating as this is the 2nd dealer to take a look at it. No idea what else to do at this point, I keep hearing that they can't find anything when clearly there's multiple videos showing otherwise.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
No idea what else to do at this point
Time to send the video to PCNA.

A dealer (worse yet two dealers) returning the car to you with a "we can't fix it" response is way beyond unacceptable in my book. If they can't fix it they should be kicking the problem to PCNA, instead of you having to take your valuable time to do so.

Who are these dealers? Don't think I would want them touching either one of my Porsches.

Perhaps you should be as unreasonable as they are. Tell them the problem is easily resolvable...new engine or new car.

Anyone else think the oil pressure below 20 between 3500 and 4000 RPM is unusually low?

·
Registered
132 Posts

A dealer (worse yet two dealers) returning the car to you with a "we can't fix it" response is way beyond unacceptable in my book. If they can't fix it they should be kicking the problem to PCNA, instead of you having to take your valuable time to do so.

Who are these dealers? Don't think I would want them touching either one of my Porsches.

Perhaps you should be as unreasonable as they are. Tell them the problem is easily resolvable...new engine or new car.

Anyone else think the oil pressure below 20 between 3500 and 4000 RPM is unusually low?
Agreed, this is really bush league.

Are these Porsche dealers or Yugo dealers?

Yes, please share who these dealers are so the rest of us are forewarned.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I posted this on facebook and a number of people commented that too. Unfortunately I don't have another 3.0 v6 Macan to compare this to. I have a 2.0 base loaner which I just realized doesn't even allow me to see the oil pressure in the information screen. If anyone with a 3.0 S or GTS can please take a video of your car showing the PSI during 4+ RPMS I would be very grateful, thank you.

Agreed, this is really bush league.

Are these Porsche dealers or Yugo dealers?

Yes, please share who these dealers are so the rest of us are forewarned.
I will give the first dealer benefit of the doubt as I did not have these videos when I brought the car to them last year. Car is currently at Paul Miller Porsche. The service advisor/shop foreman have both seen the video and seem to think nothing of it.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Mike Rose at Paul Miller is usually my Service Advisor too. While they seem to have a pretty good reputation and Mike is a good guy, I have found he sometimes needs a bit of prodding,

While they may think it's merely a minor issue (and they may very well be correct), it needs to be fixed. I would prod Mike a bit and ask him what PCNA has to say about the issue.

Some day you may want to sell the car, and I know if I was on a test drive and saw that message I would likely pass on the car.

Reactions: lefizzet

·
Registered
347 Posts
The dealers always try to get away of cases like yours, if your car is still under warranty Porsche will not pay the technician for all the time he spends driving your car until the fault occurs, that means that they will likely plug in the PIWIS, look at the cluster faults, if nothing recorder they say that nothing is wrong.
Go again, and tell them that you have two videos of the fault happening and you'll not take your car home until they find and fix that fault, ask to speak with the dealer principal and explain what happens, kick off a bit and they will fix it.
If you are nice you gonna have a hard time getting this resolved, involve the top guys at the dealer, they don't want unhappy customers.
You can involve PCNA too but this for sure will take longer than fixing it at the dealer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealers always try to get away of cases like yours, if your car is still under warranty Porsche will not pay the technician for all the time he spends driving your car until the fault occurs, that means that they will likely plug in the PIWIS, look at the cluster faults, if nothing recorder they say that nothing is wrong.
Go again, and tell them that you have two videos of the fault happening and you'll not take your car home until they find and fix that fault, ask to speak with the dealer principal and explain what happens, kick off a bit and they will fix it.
If you are nice you gonna have a hard time getting this resolved, involve the top guys at the dealer, they don't want unhappy customers.
You can involve PCNA too but this for sure will take longer than fixing it at the dealer.
Interesting perspective, but it makes sense when you put it that way. Thanks for the helpful advice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Given the video, why would the technician need to drive the car until the fault occurs? Do they need to confirm the video was not doctored?
Yes, because the fault code reset itself after you cycle the ignition, if it's not a permanent fault it will go away.
To get something like this covered under warranty they must show them a video of the fault and to be 100% sure that they get paid it has to be done by a Porsche employee.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So I had my friend come over who has a 2016 S. There is definitely something wrong with my car. His oil pressure is way higher.

Did you hear any knocking noises coming from the engine when the fault appeared on the cluster?
If it's a case of a bad sender there's no harm for the engine, if it's a bad pump or pump solenoid your engine might be damaged.
Wait for the diagnostic, if they diagnose a bad pump or pump solenoid that means that there was actually very low oil pressure on your engine.
in that case I'll stop at the dealer ASAP and request an oil sample to get it tested at Blackstone, with that you can determine if there's any internal damage to your engine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you hear any knocking noises coming from the engine when the fault appeared on the cluster?
If it's a case of a bad sender there's no harm for the engine, if it's a bad pump or pump solenoid your engine might be damaged.
Wait for the diagnostic, if they diagnose a bad pump or pump solenoid that means that there was actually very low oil pressure on your engine.
in that case I'll stop at the dealer ASAP and request an oil sample to get it tested at Blackstone, with that you can determine if there's any internal damage to your engine.
Thanks for the advice, no sounds or clunking whatsoever when the fault appears. At this point they're doing an oil change ($400 out of my pocket) to see if that fixes anything.

I get my oil changes done at a highly reputable shop www.eurotechms.com who uses either Mobile 1 or Motul so I highly highly doubt an oil change will make a difference. But at this point if I don't authorize the oil change they said there's nothing else they can do for me. Will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Honestly that's unbelievable, they can't replicate the fault but they blame your oil because they haven't replaced it.
I'm 99.9% sure that the fault will happen again and the good thing is that now they can't walk away from it because they charged you to fix it.
Ask your SA to put a note on your service records that they did an oil change in order to correct a fault.
Good luck with that!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
My opinion of Paul Miller Porsche is changing rapidly.

I have to respectfully disagree with Her95B that it's not time to get PCNA involved.

It's illegal to require that maintenance be done by the dealer to obtain warranty service:

Furthermore, when you see the oil change did not fix the problem (I agree with Her95B it's extremely unlikely it will) demand an immediate refund.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.