Porsche Macan Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

· Registered
2014 Porsche Macan Turbo
7 Posts
Just updated my software. Now have a new issue where the display is showing 2 small quadrants rather than the full screen. Anyone else experience this?

View attachment 262988
Just an idea, but could it be that the dip switches in the main unit got pushed by accident, and the output screen size/configuration got changed as a result?

Reactions: Ymaval

· Registered
32 Posts
Good suggestion. It did happen to me but I set them back to off before reconnecting the fuse.
touched based with support and they advised that all dip switches should beset to off. Made the adjustment and I am back in business. Now just need to figure out how to tuck the unit back into the center console area without accidentanlly moving a dip switch. Really tight fit.

· Registered
19 Posts
Today I spent 6+ hours on redoing the Mr12volt unit. I decided to disassembled and replace the XM radio board, and to reroute the unit over to the passenger side instead of the driver side. Everything that could go wrong happened to me despite thinking I was more prepared than the last time around.

I bought some tools since the last install. I bought these finger saving tape so I could wrap my fingers tips so I didn't end up with abrased finger tips like the last time. I also bought a different vent remover than the one I used the last time around which I bought on Alibaba. I actually found a motorcycle spring hook and it worked perfectly, I also bought some cloth electrical tape, and circuit board spacers. Here's a photo of my bounty:

Wood Font Rectangle Pattern Electric blue

BTW, using the spring hook made removing the vents so much easier. And of course, using a flashlight this time instead of fumbling around the last time and breaking my vents...

First problem I ran into was when I was removing the Mr12volt from the driver side was that I couldn't pull the cable through. I guess it was easier to fish it through than pull it back out. While I was attempting this, I ended up pulling on some other cable and yanked out some sensor that was inside the steering column. I don't even know what it was and I didn't know where it came from but it just hanging there tangled up with my Mr12volt cable. So I had to pull out the trim piece under the steering column except I couldn't figure out how to fully remove it. I managed to loosen it enough to get my hand inside to finally put back that lose sensor.

I finally managed to pull the cable through and get the PCM unit out and opened the PCM unit to reinstall the XM radio board. I knew that the spacers that Mr12volt included wasn't long enough to put the Mr12volt board on top of the XM radio so my reason for purchase the extra ones. My second problem was that I couldn't match the spacers so that they were long enough to clear the XM radio board but not too long that the CD unit couldn't be put back. I didn't notice before but Mr12volt included spacer were 3 long ones and one short one. So after trying all possible combinations, I ended up just using 3 spacers instead of the 4. Then my third problem: as I was reassembling the PCM, I dropped one of the torx screws that held the screen to the CD unit. It fell in between so I had to open it up again, including removing the screen. I finally managed to get the screw out and as I was trying to reattach the CD ribbon cable, I ran into my fourth problem: since the Mr12volt board is now sitting so much higher (on top of the XM radio board), it was hard to reach in to reseat the CD ribbon cable. As I was trying to pull out the little ribbon cable lock, I accidentally pulled it lose breaking one of the tabs. I didn't know what to do, spent an hour Googling, and finally, I just got a needle nose plyers and just try 6 times to put the tab back in with the cable. I finally got it in to the point where I thought it was pretty solid and reassembled the PCM.

I had removed the passenger side trim and the glove compartment and routed the cables to the passenger side. Then I remember the Mr12volt microphone. I decided to just stick the microphone through the side of the vent up towards where the vents are on top of the dash next to the clock. I ended up reaching my hand through the vent hole, around the vent and up towards the underneath the dash. It stuck and I was happy with it although I forgot to test it. Oh well, I'll just have to live with it. I tried to take a pic but didn't really get a good focus on it. Here it is regardless:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

As I was putting everything back I could figure out where to put the Mr12volt unit. I rewatched @Santirx video couple of times but I could get the unit to reach past the cabin filter. I had to drop the glove box multiple times trying to pull the unit further out. In the end, I just managed to tuck it where it was and only used one of the 3 plastic screws to hold the thin foam cover.

After all this, the good news is everything is working. My AM and FM sound is back and the CarPlay is working as well. Didn't get to drive around and test it out fully. Will do that tomorrow. In addition to the 2 plastic screws I couldn't put back, one screwn under the glove box wouldn't go in. I think the Mr12volt cable might be in the way of the screw hole. I wasn't about to undo the glovebox again so I left it for now. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems.

Quite the ordeal but I'm happy with the outcome so far. We will see how this fares in the long run.

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Today I spent 6+ hours on redoing the Mr12volt unit. I decided to disassembled and replace the XM radio board, and to reroute the unit over to the passenger side instead of the driver side. Everything that could go wrong happened to me despite thinking I was more prepared than the last time around.

I bought some tools since the last install. I bought these finger saving tape so I could wrap my fingers tips so I didn't end up with abrased finger tips like the last time. I also bought a different vent remover than the one I used the last time around which I bought on Alibaba. I actually found a motorcycle spring hook and it worked perfectly, I also bought some cloth electrical tape, and circuit board spacers. Here's a photo of my bounty:

View attachment 263265

BTW, using the spring hook made removing the vents so much easier. And of course, using a flashlight this time instead of fumbling around the last time and breaking my vents...

First problem I ran into was when I was removing the Mr12volt from the driver side was that I couldn't pull the cable through. I guess it was easier to fish it through than pull it back out. While I was attempting this, I ended up pulling on some other cable and yanked out some sensor that was inside the steering column. I don't even know what it was and I didn't know where it came from but it just hanging there tangled up with my Mr12volt cable. So I had to pull out the trim piece under the steering column except I couldn't figure out how to fully remove it. I managed to loosen it enough to get my hand inside to finally put back that lose sensor.

I finally managed to pull the cable through and get the PCM unit out and opened the PCM unit to reinstall the XM radio board. I knew that the spacers that Mr12volt included wasn't long enough to put the Mr12volt board on top of the XM radio so my reason for purchase the extra ones. My second problem was that I couldn't match the spacers so that they were long enough to clear the XM radio board but not too long that the CD unit couldn't be put back. I didn't notice before but Mr12volt included spacer were 3 long ones and one short one. So after trying all possible combinations, I ended up just using 3 spacers instead of the 4. Then my third problem: as I was reassembling the PCM, I dropped one of the torx screws that held the screen to the CD unit. It fell in between so I had to open it up again, including removing the screen. I finally managed to get the screw out and as I was trying to reattach the CD ribbon cable, I ran into my fourth problem: since the Mr12volt board is now sitting so much higher (on top of the XM radio board), it was hard to reach in to reseat the CD ribbon cable. As I was trying to pull out the little ribbon cable lock, I accidentally pulled it lose breaking one of the tabs. I didn't know what to do, spent an hour Googling, and finally, I just got a needle nose plyers and just try 6 times to put the tab back in with the cable. I finally got it in to the point where I thought it was pretty solid and reassembled the PCM.

I had removed the passenger side trim and the glove compartment and routed the cables to the passenger side. Then I remember the Mr12volt microphone. I decided to just stick the microphone through the side of the vent up towards where the vents are on top of the dash next to the clock. I ended up reaching my hand through the vent hole, around the vent and up towards the underneath the dash. It stuck and I was happy with it although I forgot to test it. Oh well, I'll just have to live with it. I tried to take a pic but didn't really get a good focus on it. Here it is regardless:

View attachment 263269

As I was putting everything back I could figure out where to put the Mr12volt unit. I rewatched @Santirx video couple of times but I could get the unit to reach past the cabin filter. I had to drop the glove box multiple times trying to pull the unit further out. In the end, I just managed to tuck it where it was and only used one of the 3 plastic screws to hold the thin foam cover.

After all this, the good news is everything is working. My AM and FM sound is back and the CarPlay is working as well. Didn't get to drive around and test it out fully. Will do that tomorrow. In addition to the 2 plastic screws I couldn't put back, one screwn under the glove box wouldn't go in. I think the Mr12volt cable might be in the way of the screw hole. I wasn't about to undo the glovebox again so I left it for now. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems.

Quite the ordeal but I'm happy with the outcome so far. We will see how this fares in the long run.
Oh my! That was quite the experience there. Sorry to hear all the issues you had to go through.

Through the years doing this kind of stuff, I learned that patience is of upmost importance. I have had my share of broken things as well, but take those as learnings. I’m sure this will never happen to you again…☺

· Registered
30 Posts
CD slot can’t be used. It is an integral part of PCM3.1.

As far as the 3d design, I would download from Thingiverse and have someone that do 3d printing for living print it. Have them print in polycarbonate. This part takes a long time to print.

Note that no one can commercialize this part per terms I established in Thingiverse.
awesome work and design 👏

do you by chance have an stl of the top opening of the console or detailed measurements?

· Registered
56 Posts
I herevmby confirm that in my PCM, if I remove XM, I loose AM and FM also. So CM seems to be necessary for radio operation. My spare PCM with XM installed ahas AM FM but without it has no sound when put on radio. Perhaps XM board is producing radio in PCMs equipped with it.

View attachment 263265

View attachment 263269

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Confirmed, the video quality is a hardware limitation with current model. Below is my conversation with Mr12Volt via WhatsApp. It seems there are plans to release a hardware version that improves on video quality by late 2023 early 2024.

In the meantime, as I stated earlier, since I’m prioritizing audio quality this is not really an issue for me… I would not trade Mr12Volt audio quality for Isudar nicer video. But this may be an issue for others, hence why I’m posting it here.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Rectangle Number

· Registered
19 Posts
As always, thank you for the update @Santirx. That’s sad news but I agree that sound is more important than the screen resolution since the PCM 3.1 unit itself isn’t all that high in resolution or touch sensitivity.

My next adventure, following your guide on updating the initial splash logo and maybe a firmware upgrade. And sorting out why the audio doesn’t play even though I see it playing, until I shut off the PCM and restart.

· Registered
38 Posts
Confirmed, the video quality is a hardware limitation with current model. Below is my conversation with Mr12Volt via WhatsApp. It seems there are plans to release a hardware version that improves on video quality by late 2023 early 2024.

In the meantime, as I stated earlier, since I’m prioritizing audio quality this is not really an issue for me… I would not trade Mr12Volt audio quality for Isudar nicer video. But this may be an issue for others, hence why I’m posting it here.

View attachment 263623
Really interested in this solution/product but these limitations are putting me off. One year timeline to update the hardware internals is a joke in today's hardware/software technology world.

I am sure competitors in this space would reverse engineer this product and offer the best of both worlds i.e good resolution and digital audio :)

· Registered
56 Posts
Mr12v gives you very much an OEM feel once you change the boot logo. It always connects to the phone. And PCM starts with Mr12V. Very reliable connection. I haven’t had one connection issue yet.
My only complaint in that department is that when you click a button to adjust something in PCM itself, it doesn’t switch back to Mr12v in timely manner. But I rarely switch to PCM.
When equiped with Mr12Volt, do you revert back to Radio by default when you start the car ?

Thanks,

· Registered
32 Posts
As always, thank you for the update @Santirx. That’s sad news but I agree that sound is more important than the screen resolution since the PCM 3.1 unit itself isn’t all that high in resolution or touch sensitivity.

My next adventure, following your guide on updating the initial splash logo and maybe a firmware upgrade. And sorting out why the audio doesn’t play even though I see it playing, until I shut off the PCM and restart.
Any luck with resolving the audio issue? I am frequently have the same problem: music will be playing in my spotify app on my phone and carplay, but there is no audio. Issue also occurs with Waze and TuneIN: No audio. I have to go into the settings menu and reboot in order to hear audio.

· Registered
19 Posts
Any luck with resolving the audio issue? I am frequently have the same problem: music will be playing in my spotify app on my phone and carplay, but there is no audio. Issue also occurs with Waze and TuneIN: No audio. I have to go into the settings menu and reboot in order to hear audio.
No, not yet. I was just in the Macan yesterday and I had to turn off the PCM and on again to get the audio back. I haven't tried to disconnect the PCM bluetooth and just work off the CarPlay bluetooth. I won't be able to look at the Macan as I'm dealing with another project gone awry on my E46 M3. :(

Will report any finding when I can. Sorry.

· Registered
32 Posts
No, not yet. I was just in the Macan yesterday and I had to turn off the PCM and on again to get the audio back. I haven't tried to disconnect the PCM bluetooth and just work off the CarPlay bluetooth. I won't be able to look at the Macan as I'm dealing with another project gone awry on my E46 M3. :(

Will report any finding when I can. Sorry.
Removing PCM from my Bluetooth devices did the trick. Have not had an audio issue since. Good thinking! Thanks for the tip!

181 - 197 of 197 Posts