Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right so we know the Macan Turbo and Macan S will be the first to go on sale, the industry journos have been reporting that Macan will show up with two turbo charged engines from start, well thats wrong for 2 reasons..

First, The Macan Turbo will obviously show up with a Turbo grafted to its 3L V6. That engine will be good for 400hp. The Macan S will get a SUPERCHARGED version of the same 3L 6 but this time good for only 335 hp and 339 lb-ft..

The second reason the journos were wrong is that the Macan will debut with a 3rd engine. The Macan Diesel S will show up with 254 hp and 428 lb-ft.

Get the power down through standard M6 gearbox or optional 7 speed flappy paddles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What I heard was 5-models as follows:

1) Macan Base (TBD): 2.0L turbo 4-cyl, 225 hp, 258 lb-ft
2) Macan Diesel (TBD): 2.0L turbo-diesel 4-cyl, 177 hp, 280 lb-ft
3) Macan S ($52,000): 3.0L supercharged 6-cyl, 335 hp, 339 lb-ft
4) Macan S Diesel (TBD): 3.0L turbo-diesel 6-cyl, 254 hp, 428 lb-ft
5) Macan Turbo ($75,000): 3.6L turbo 6-cyl, 395 hp, 406 lb-ft

(3) and (5) will be available first, beginning May 2015 ... the rest will follow at some point.

I also heard 7-speed PDK only ... no 6MT option.

We'll know for sure soon enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Audi is now launching the SQ5 with the same 3.0L supercharged motor with 354 HP & 346 lb-ft. so it seems illogical to me that Porsche would have lower power ratings than Audi when Porsche is obviously the higher performance name. At the very least I would think the power ratings would be the same with Porsche having the performance edge because of different transmission gear ratios.
We'll know for sure next month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We'll see next month but i don't think the same motor from Porsche would have a lower power rating than Audi. Goes against brand positioning. I get your point about model comparisons but to me Porsche has to be seen as being able to wring out more power from the same motor as compared to Audi or at least the same power ratings but not less.
We'll have to wait until Porsche releases official specs., hopefully before the LA auto show next month.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
We'll see next month but i don't think the same motor from Porsche would have a lower power rating than Audi. Goes against brand positioning. I get your point about model comparisons but to me Porsche has to be seen as being able to wring out more power from the same motor as compared to Audi or at least the same power ratings but not less.
We'll have to wait until Porsche releases official specs., hopefully before the LA auto show next month.
Very true at the brand stand point porshe should have higer numbers when it comes to power. But we'll have to confirm on the numbers later , i am sure we'll get something from the LA Autoshow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it doesn't, Audi is using the Macan S engine in their range topping Q5S while the Macan S is mid range. Wait until Macan GTS shows up...

Now if it was Q5S vs Macan GTS and Q5 had more balls, thats a problem, but porsche is safe the way it is.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No it doesn't, Audi is using the Macan S engine in their range topping Q5S while the Macan S is mid range. Wait until Macan GTS shows up...

Now if it was Q5S vs Macan GTS and Q5 had more balls, thats a problem, but porsche is safe the way it is.
What do you expect the Macan GTS to have and what do you expect it's performance numbers to be like?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you expect the Macan GTS to have and what do you expect it's performance numbers to be like?
V8 probably...

well the Cayenne GTS has a 4.8L 420 horse V8 in it so that's an option. But above the GTS is the Cayenne Turbo S with the same 4.8L V8 but this time twin turboed and cracking out 550 hp. So something along those lines...

·
Registered
7 Posts

You might be right but I guess that would mean that a GTS model would have to be sandwiched between the 335 HP "S" and the 395 HP Turbo and have roughly the same HP as the QS5 which doesn't seem logical to me.
To my thinking Porsche will not come out with a vehicle with the same engine as Audi that will be looked at as a detuned version, regardless of whether it is the middle or top of the model range.

It's all conjecture at this point and the bottom line for me is that my wife's X5 is coming off lease next year and the Macan "S" is climbing to the top of the list as long as the "necessary" options don't make the price ridiculous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.