Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search and come across a couple threads on the subject but couldn't exactly find anything too conclusive on this so wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experience or observations and may have any input.

1) Moldy / musty smell inside the cabin when first get in the car with the fan/vents on but air conditioner off.

I didn't notice this as much in the summer but that may just have been cause I was turning the AC on much more often and usually right after getting in the car and the smell seems to go away upon doing so. I also always try to turn off the AC at least 3-4 mins before arriving at my destination as I know that helps with condensation / moisture build up in the system that can lead to these odors but since the Macan was purchase a few years used I'm not sure how the previous owner operated it.

Cabin filter was replaced just few months prior to my purchase according to dealer service records but I haven't inspected myself yet and plan to just replace it again soon in case that might help. I've also tried driving around with heat on full blast for 10-15 mins to try and get rid of any residual moisture in the system and that may have helped for a day or two but then the odors returned.

I plan to report it to dealer but I'm not too optimistic on them resolving it, so am curious if anyone else has encountered similar issue and managed to effectively resolve?

2) This one perhaps some will find a bit odd or wonder what I'm even talking about, but when it rains / the car is wet and I park it in my garage, I can detect a similar moldy / musty smell near the car in the garage for the next day or two. I've never had this occur with my Cayman in the five years I've owned it even if its pouring outside or with my old beater for that matter when I would park either of them in the garage after a rainfall. I wonder if this could be clogged drains related or maybe even somehow related to the first issue I mentioned above. I tried checking around interior of the car including in the trunk and near the battery and did not observe any wetness at all in the interior. However, one thing I do always notice, and this is the odd/random thing, is that the water seems to mostly gather and drain in front of the back tire on driver side and looks almost rusty and yellow. Again I know it's a pretty obscure thing to bring up but I've never had my other cars leave a water residue like this on my garage floors after a rainfall (even if the car was absolutely filthy). Anyone else observe this or should the water be draining elsewhere (from my searching I believe at least two of the drains are supposed to be behind the rear tires close to the exhaust tips).

20191129_160930.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
“ However, one thing I do always notice, and this is the odd/random thing, is that the water seems to mostly gather and drain in front of the back tire on driver side and looks almost rusty and yellow. “

I’m not sure if this is the same issue that some Cayenne owners experienced - clogged drains in the cowl area of the car. The reason I think it maybe related is that you stated you get puddles near the front tire and that’s the area where the drains are on the Cayenne - I’m not sure it’s the same as the Macan but it maybe worth investigatin.

Here‘s a diagram of the Cayenne drains.

I did a google search on Macan drains and couldn’t find anything specific.

Do a search on “ clogged Cayenne drains “ as there’s plenty of info out there and hopefully the Macan drain system is similar.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I came across this thread on another forum complaining of a moldy musty smell on start up:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the input Jim! I will start with the cabin filter and checking the drains or ask dealer to, I did find the hood/front cowl area pretty dirty with fair bit of leaves around when I first got the car so it's certainly possible they have gotten damp and clogged up the drains.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
.....one thing I do always notice, and this is the odd/random thing, is that the water seems to mostly gather and drain in front of the back tire on driver side and looks almost rusty and yellow.....
The color of that water is pretty typical in my experience. It's especially noticable when you have a clean expoy coated garage floor. I typically see it at all four corners. It's probably worth noting that our car does not have a sunroof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The color of that water is pretty typical in my experience. It's especially noticable when you have a clean expoy coated garage floor. I typically see it at all four corners. It's probably worth noting that our car does not have a sunroof.
Thanks good to know that may not be anything too unusual!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I found the rear drains, they are close/above the exhaust tips on either side, will need to find something suitable to try and clean or clear them up if clogged. Looks like the front drain will require wheel arch trim removal as I believe it does on the Cayennes as well.

Any idea where the AC drain line is?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thanks I found the rear drains, they are close/above the exhaust tips on either side, will need to find something suitable to try and clean or clear them up if clogged. Looks like the front drain will require wheel arch trim removal as I believe it does on the Cayennes as well.

Any idea where the AC drain line is?
I believe that lawn trimmer line of the correct diameter is the best way to purge those drains.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm mostly amazed that you can park inside your garage. It's been many years since I had space in my garage for cars. It's normally reserved for welding projects and other hobbies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm mostly amazed that you can park inside your garage. It's been many years since I had space in my garage for cars. It's normally reserved for welding projects and other hobbies.
Ahh dont you miss being able to get in your car in the winter and not have to worry about brushing snow off the car or scraping ice of the windshield.

I lived in Ontario for several years and my worst memories of winter are getting inside a cold car with leather and waiting what would feel like an eternity for it to warm up.

Now in Texas it's almost the opposite with the heat, I often wish I had AC in the garage as trying to do anything in there in the summer is brutal.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I live in Texas around the Houston area. I don't leave my cars out at night. I don't even park them in the driveway. They are brought inside immediately. This is how bad it is with me.... I've turned down jobs because they had no covered parking facilities. I have a small bin in the back of the Macan. One of those items is a bottle of water in case a bird dumps on it while I'm out and about. I know. I know. But hey! They always look good...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I live in Texas around the Houston area. I don't leave my cars out at night. I don't even park them in the driveway. They are brought inside immediately. This is how bad it is with me.... I've turned down jobs because they had no covered parking facilities. I have a small bin in the back of the Macan. One of those items is a bottle of water in case a bird dumps on it while I'm out and about. I know. I know. But hey! They always look good...
I live that same life my friend... Texas summer sun + bird crap = instant clear coat etching. Golf ball sized hail (normal occurrences), and tree sap everywhere. It’s a daily struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts