Porsche Macan Forum banner

Modifying Macan Filter Cover

42K views 149 replies 49 participants last post by  Teddis 
#1 ·
anyone had experience with installing k&n high flow engine filter on a v6 ? they promise more HP but im concerned it would interfere with the mapping or even do nothing at all....

#3 ·
No noticeable hp gain but the 3.6 sounds better (imo) with the filters in. sound poll in the mods section

#4 ·
#8 ·
Really a waste of money. KN used to make bold claims of increased HP and economy. A independent lab did extensive tests to find claims were false. They no longer print or make those claims. Simply put they don’t provide any benefit other than a little sound. And as stated they are a pain to clean.
Stick with OE

#11 · (Edited)
r

Steps:
1) Remove filter
2) Spray with cleaner
3) Hose with water from inside out
4) Let dry
5) Re-oil with oil spray
6) Re-install

Argg! What a pain! I'm exhausted. Re oil before or after spraying with water? This is way too difficult! Glad I don't have to do it that often. Mabe someone can do it for me next time.:crying:

#19 ·
What is the difference between the Flat6 high-flow filter and the AMS high-flow filter? Which one is better in terms of air flow and filtration?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

#24 ·
Open the link in post #21 - lots of info about the filters including this:

We leveraged a world-class supplier who's industry leading proprietary filter utilizes a dry synthetic multi-layer material. The dry fiber technology enables maximum airflow with minimal pressure drop and efficient filtration.

#26 ·
I have the Flat 6 filters. I found the driver's side to be an incredibly tight fit and really had to work to get the sliding panel fully seated. The passenger side was much easier. I don't really want to make any claims regarding power improvements, as I find myself driving with a heavier foot anyway these days. It does sound nice, but a subtle change.

And yeah I was disappointed that my kit didn't include a nice glossy 8x10 of the lovely Kate.

#27 ·
With the Flat6 filters, to clean them all you have to do is the blow off the dust/dirt and then put them back in the vehicle. No need to spray water on them to wash & then wait to dry before putting them back in the vehicle.

#31 ·
I wish there was an independant test measuring the amount of filtration and air flow in the dry filter mentioned here vs. the oiled K&N filter. With the direct air feed into the open air boxes there is a lot of moisture coming in. I would believe that the oiled filter fabric is more resistant to this moisture. I'd also think that the oiled fabric filters better after several cleanings using the spray cleaner and water. The dry flter element is dependant on the fabric structure to filter the air, rather than the oil in the K&N, any possible degradation of this fabric by the the air pressure needed to successfully clean it would result in a loss of filtration. No I'm not a K&N salesman as was once implied. At least the myth of no horsepower gain was put to rest when Jon @ Flat6 dyno tested the K&N filters with the result of a 10hp increase.

#32 ·
I wish there was an independent test measuring the amount of filtration and air flow in the dry filter mentioned here vs. the oiled K&N filter. With the direct air feed into the open air boxes there is a lot of moisture coming in. I would believe that the oiled filter fabric is more resistant to this moisture. I'd also think that the oiled fabric filters better after several cleanings using the spray cleaner and water. The dry flter element is dependant on the fabric structure to filter the air, rather than the oil in the K&N, any possible degradation of this fabric by the the air pressure needed to successfully clean it would result in a loss of filtration. No I'm not a K&N salesman as was once implied. At least the myth of no horsepower gain was put to rest when Jon @ Flat6 dyno tested the K&N filters with the result of a 10hp increase.
I have nothing against K&N air filters, but I was done long ago with having to clean & re-oil them...made the switch to performance "dry" air filters and have never looked back. Filtration efficiency for both types is about the same...above 93% compared to stock.

I'd also like to add that it's nice and all to actually see a slight gain in power adding performance air filters vs the stock air filters in some applications, but I don't buy performance air filters primarily for the power increase, I buy them for the increase in engine responsiveness...that and they can be re-cleaned easily (at least the dry air filters) and can be re-used. In addition, I've also experienced a slight increase in gas mileage as well in some of my past vehicles.

#41 ·
Just received my Flat 6 Intakes, took all of 15mins to install. Delivery from the States to Sydney was about 5 working days (so far faster than my local performance parts shop).
Haven't hooked up my incoming COBB AP however a quick squirt around the block I felt slightly better throttle response and the engine rev'ved more freely (fractionally however noticeable). I didn't spring for the open ports as I didn't want to alert my dealer that the car is modified and mainly they were a little expensive for what they did (maybe if there was a plastic option down the like Jon?)

Thanks again for the great service Jon!

#51 ·
Building upon some of the other ideas that people have posted, the Macan Filter cover is quite restrictive.

FlatSix has proved this with dyno tests.

One option for those who are risk adverse and would not risk cutting their own air filter cover is to just order two spare filter covers.

They run about $35 a piece and cutting the bar and trying it our significantly reduces the risk for those DIY.

https://parts.porschemonterey.com/oem-parts/porsche-filter-cover-95b129752b

#52 ·
Short of having a seizure or trying to cut the bar during an earthquake, removing the center of the filter cover is quite easily accomplished by anyone that knows how to tie their shoes. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but to provide a little reassurance to those thinking about doing it and are apprehensive. As @scubadiver indicates, if the absolute worse case scenario ensues and the earthquake hits while you are seizing and you accidentally cut through the side walls of the filter cover, you can order a replacement part (or one of the carbon ducts from Flat 6) and all is well. Wishing I had done a simple video when I did mine so I could have posted for others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.