Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Did mine last week. Took about 20 minutes. I, too, ordered a backup set of covers...

Definite increase in power at lower RPM/s- Sounds a little different and looks really cool with the exposed red filters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I was looking into filters and covers which is the best air filter was looking at the bmc filters not really into k&n any recommendations I have a 2017 macan s

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi I was looking into filters and covers which is the best air filter was looking at the bmc filters not really into k&n any recommendations I have a 2017 macan s
IMO, cutting the stock covers is pretty much the same as buying the CF ones. I went with the K&Ns because they were the cheapest and I've been using K&Ns for over 30 yrs now on all of my vehicles. Some people do not like them because they are oiled.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I wound up washing mine today in 97 degree heat. Houston in the summer. I opened the hood and took a damp rag to everything. I looked up and remembered someone cutting their hood to match the entire opening. I started to move to where I keep the Dremel and my wife came outside to cut flowers. Maybe tomorrow....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wound up washing mine today in 97 degree heat. Houston in the summer. I opened the hood and took a damp rag to everything. I looked up and remembered someone cutting their hood to match the entire opening. I started to move to where I keep the Dremel and my wife came outside to cut flowers. Maybe tomorrow....
I just picture you cutting and hearing something behind you and turning around with dremel in hand to your wife looking at you. Good luck bro.>:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Update needed...

Driving in SPORT is FUN FUN FUN and the "Fun Zone" happens waaay before getting to 5,000 RPM's. That low end torque and improve boost lag really shines. The wife even asked... "Oh wow....what did you do to this car? You said you were going to leave it alone as she laughed!" 0:)
Sounds like you're having too much fun! Question, were you using the PDK or in automatic?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
You guys are crazy, cutting up a perfectly good hood.:D
I totally agree. Cutting those hood reinforcements is not going to do squat when it comes to improving airflow. The engine can only draw so much air, and there's no such thing as a "Ram Air Intake" for a car. The hood is design as a cold air intake only.

As for cutting the stock air filter covers, sure it makes them act more like the Flat 6 intake ducts, but even when using a Dremel to modify the stock ducts, it still looks amateur...especially on a Porsche.

I bought the Flat 6 intake system for the proven hp gain, the non-oiled washable filters, and the clean looks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I totally agree. Cutting those hood reinforcements is not going to do squat when it comes to improving airflow. The engine can only draw so much air, and there's no such thing as a "Ram Air Intake" for a car. The hood is design as a cold air intake only.

As for cutting the stock air filter covers, sure it makes them act more like the Flat 6 intake ducts, but even when using a Dremel to modify the stock ducts, it still looks amateur...especially on a Porsche.

I bought the Flat 6 intake system for the proven hp gain, the non-oiled washable filters, and the clean looks.

I agree with you. I initially thought about cutting the stock intake ducts but decided to purchased the carbon fiber ones from Flat6. I'm so glad it did!

Does you car make that blow off sound too? I never understood what or how that's generated.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Does you car make that blow off sound too? I never understood what or how that's generated.
That sound is from the diverter valve which not only seals pressure under boost to deliver peak power, but it also releases pressure when you let off the gas. The sound increases when you open up the air intake with performance air filters and modifications to the intake system.

And yes I've noticed an increase in noise since installing the Flat 6 intake system...and I like it!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

Errrrr,mine were CNC Laser cut and designed. Not so amateur.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Still looks like crap to me. You should have opened them up completely.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That sound is from the diverter valve which not only seals pressure under boost to deliver peak power, but it also releases pressure when you let off the gas. The sound increases when you open up the air intake with performance air filters and modifications to the intake system.

And yes I've noticed an increase in noise since installing the Flat 6 intake system...and I like it!
Aahhh...I finally got my answer! Thank you sir.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Its a metallic like screech sound, must be the actuator sliding back.......Freeeked me out when I first heard it. I have a video if it.

Will add that my BGB tune alleviated this....no more screech sound from DIV....less boost ? even though I do see a full 17psi on MFD

·
Registered
552 Posts
I remember that from a prior post. It would take too much work to hand cut that and at that point, I would've just cut the entire panel out altogether.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
About this Discussion
84 Replies
30 Participants
Dben
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing