Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche recommends Mobil 1 oil and puts it each new car. I've had 2 oil changes so far and the dealer service dept. used Mobil 1. This year I'm headed to a different dealer who uses a different brand of synthetic oil but will use Mobil 1 on request.
Many decades ago (probably talking regular dinosaur era oil) I was advised to not mix brands of motor oil. I have done so ever since but does it matter anymore?
Should I accept whatever Porsche approved oil they offer or be anal and insist on not mixing oil brands?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I switched oil on occasion on my 335 as long as it was BMW approved oil for over 11 years without any issues. I was running high boost and went to the track 10 days a year so I was burning through oil quite a bit. I’ve even had to mix brands and viscosity in a pinch and never had any problems.
I also keep a spare quart of Mobil-1 in the spare tire compartment for emergencies. I wouldn’t worry as long as you are using Porsche approved oils

·
Registered
817 Posts
people change oil brands...
as cars get older they move to Synthetic...many use synthetic for the whole life (young/old) of the car

mixing/matching in one oil pan might be a trick ...
but as we see above -- it can be done

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't mix synth and non-synth even if the same weight. For the rest as long as it's on the approved list you're good to go. For where I live, I use Mobil1 0-40w synthetic year round and change oil twice a year according to the season; Spring and Fall irrespective of mileage. Reason is condensation. in the oil pan.

siberian

·
Registered
893 Posts
I buy Mobil 1 at Wally World (Walmart) in 5qt bottles. I also buy 5gal water bottles. After each change (oil & filter), I dump the used into the big bottles. When full, I take it to Advanced Auto, AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc for recycle. This way, I get to examine the engine, TC and DCT for any leaks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP, you are not required to stay with Mobil 1. Key is to select an oil that meets (or exceeds) the standards as provided by Porsche. For my GTS, I use Amsoil European Car Formula 0W-40. This is a full synthetic oil. A case of 12 quarts cost me $100 USD.

Can I state with facts that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, no. Though Amsoil is generally regarded as a high-end product. I've used their product in all of my recent vehicles (GT350, S4, M4, etc.).

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can tell the dealer to put in what ever you want, but the mechanic will put in whatever comes out of the piping system that draws out a 55 gallon drum behind the shop.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I would think if there was any significant issue with mixing brands Porsche would mention it in the OM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the manual in the Good to Know app it actually says “oils approved by Porsche can be mixed”.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I believe what we're all attempting to say is that you can use any brand oil meeting the required standards. However, we are not saying you should pop back and forth between various oil manufacturers. That's never a good idea. It's like changing from one type of medication to another even if they treat the same issue. You run the risk of potential internal damage like premature wear, leakage, etc. Pick a manufacturer and stick with that one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just received the 10K service (6K currently on the SE) and CPO inspection report for the untitled 2018 SE I just purchased from them. The dealer uses Pennzoil Enhanced 5/40.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry-- SE = Sport Edition.

The factory laid a bundle of options on a 2018 Base (in anticipation of the 2019 facelift) that many/most Base buyers would not want to spend the money on-or even select together- like AS, sport exhaust, 20" RS wheels, and other sporty like options. The price was higher than an S- so there is that.

From the reviews--Aside from being able to lower the height, most of the options do not make the Base any faster or sound that much more sporty. Sort of a silhouette mini-GTS- without the speed or the sound.

I have no illusions that even with a Cobb tune that it will be a mini GTS-but it has its charms -and I am attracted to orphan machines.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I believe what we're all attempting to say is that you can use any brand oil meeting the required standards. However, we are not saying you should pop back and forth between various oil manufacturers. That's never a good idea. It's like changing from one type of medication to another even if they treat the same issue. You run the risk of potential internal damage like premature wear, leakage, etc. Pick a manufacturer and stick with that one.
I have heard a lot of people say that, but is there any real proof that’s true? (other than statements from oil manufacturers not wanting you to switch brands). I don’t see the analogy to medicine at all.

If that was true I would think there would be warnings from vehicle manufacturers wanting to reduce the risk of warranty claims.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, but unless you have some technical evidence to back that up I don't think you should make a definitive statement like that.

Now you do have to use the proper grade of oil. But changing brands is not an issue.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I stand corrected. You are correct. I was wrong. The only thing I could find is mention of ensuring the specifications of the oil brands you use meet the car manufacturer's oil recommendations. But, aside from that, go for it. From my own personal life, I've only used Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Shell Premium gas in my last 10-12 cars. Never lost an engine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
OP, you are not required to stay with Mobil 1. Key is to select an oil that meets (or exceeds) the standards as provided by Porsche. For my GTS, I use Amsoil European Car Formula 0W-40. This is a full synthetic oil. A case of 12 quarts cost me $100 USD.

Can I state with facts that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, no. Though Amsoil is generally regarded as a high-end product. I've used their product in all of my recent vehicles (GT350, S4, M4, etc.).
Amsoil 0w40 is not Porsche approved. The 5w40 is but not the 0w40

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have no illusions that even with a Cobb tune that it will be a mini GTS-but it has its charms -and I am attracted to orphan machines.
I added the Cobb tune to mine, and it definitely made a difference. In Sport and Sport Plus especially it’s tons of fun.

Last weekend I uninstalled it ahead of my 10k service - definitely missed the added power. I’m reflashing it back tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts