Porsche Macan Forum banner

Mini project : Apple MagSafe charger in a 2021 Macan

18K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Dmitry Demidov 
#1 ·
Hi, all.

New Porsche owner - just bought a 21 Macan Turbo. I've had numerous BMWs, Audis, Mercedes - this is my first Porsche.

Wireless CarPlay was a key selling point but unlike some manufacturers, I don't seem to have a decent wireless charging option. Figured I'd share what I've done.

I'll cut to the chase. Here's what an iPhone 12 (non Max) looks like sitting on the charger:

Without the phone, looks like this:

Parts list:

Apple MagSafe Charger:
Spigen Mag Fit Charger Pad
Aukey Mini Charger
USB C 90 Degree Connector
Sugru Black Moldable Glue (2 small packs)

Installation is simple, before adhering the pad, it looks like this:

The 90 degree adapter reduced the height of the cable and also allowed it to angle diagonally into the space. The cable off to the right isn't part of the install.

The adhesive on the back of the charger pad isn't strong enough to hold it in place. The pad also needs to be raised a bit so that it sits level with button panels on the side. It needs to do this to make decent contact with the phone.

I used two packs of Sugru to add height to the bottom of the pad and also to serve as adhesive. I am hopeful that if I ever undo this install, a bit of alcohol will take off any residue. If you're not willing to take this chance, do not try this.

The bottom of my pad looked like this before installation:

You also need a MagSafe compatible case (with magnets) from either Apple or another brand. There are 3rd party cases that are MagSafe "compatible" that support charging but don't have magnets. The phone won't stay put with those.

I happen to have a non Max phone because I find the Max too big. I don't know how this would work with the Max phones - I suspect it will be challenging to get it to fit, but it might work.

Hope someone finds this helpful!

See less See more
#7 ·
I bought the car off a lot. Everything lined up on the purchase. I've custom ordered cars in the past - this was a better option this time around.

Is the charging compartment real? My sales guy told me it's not. I wasn't able to find a picture, video, or anything illustrating it. Does anyone actually have it in a Macan?

Other than the fact that it isn't factory, I might still prefer my option. It's closer to what BMW does with a charging tray. There's no fiddling with an armrest on the way into or out of the car. And if you have to pick up the phone at a stoplight, it's right there.

If someone has wireless CarPlay + the charging compartment, would love to see photos and hear about it.

#8 ·
Works great. Just add wireless charging, and better signal strength for the cellular service, to wireless CarPlay. That's an iPhone 12 Pro Max with a more-on-the-thin-side case. The 12 Pro Max won't fit with a thick case. This is very poorly covered on page 159 of the manual.

#10 ·
I'm in the process of printing something like this guy made. Wireless charging and Wireless CarPlay mod to 2017 GTS - Porsche Macan Forums

Only problem with his version is that it won't allow the center console to close, otherwise great idea. Mine will sit a little lower in the console as to allow it to close when in use. After it comes off the printer, I'll post some pictures of it installed.

#11 ·
'm in the process of printing something like this guy made...
That tray looks nice. If I had the printer and/or skills, I'd take a shot at printing a MagSafe charger mount that sits in the ashtray. I think it would be possible to design one that had legs extending into the ashtray that used pressure to keep them in place. It could extend over the ashtray door to hide it and it would use the 12v socket the way my setup does. Think it would look nicer than what I've done and wouldn't require adhesive.

Looking forward to your pics!

#13 ·
Hi, all.

New Porsche owner - just bought a 21 Macan Turbo. I've had numerous BMWs, Audis, Mercedes - this is my first Porsche.

Wireless CarPlay was a key selling point but unlike some manufacturers, I don't seem to have a decent wireless charging option. Figured I'd share what I've done.

I'll cut to the chase. Here's what an iPhone 12 (non Max) looks like sitting on the charger:

View attachment 239951

View attachment 239952

Parts list:

Apple MagSafe Charger:
Aukey Mini Charger

View attachment 239953

The 90 degree adapter reduced the height of the cable and also allowed it to angle diagonally into the space. The cable off to the right isn't part of the install.

The adhesive on the back of the charger pad isn't strong enough to hold it in place. The pad also needs to be raised a bit so that it sits level with button panels on the side. It needs to do this to make decent contact with the phone.

I used two packs of Sugru to add height to the bottom of the pad and also to serve as adhesive. I am hopeful that if I ever undo this install, a bit of alcohol will take off any residue. If you're not willing to take this chance, do not try this.

View attachment 239954

You also need a MagSafe compatible case (with magnets) from either Apple or another brand. There are 3rd party cases that are MagSafe "compatible" that support charging but don't have magnets. The phone won't stay put with those.

I happen to have a non Max phone because I find the Max too big. I don't know how this would work with the Max phones - I suspect it will be challenging to get it to fit, but it might work.

I am going to do this on my 2017. Did you need to order two packs of the Subaru adhesive or did you use two of three included in package?

#21 ·
Well I got the project done. On the 2017 base the little cubby is a bit different than yours. There wasn’t much overlap for the adhesive to grip but I got it to work. My lighter socket seemed lower making it easier to fit the cable in. I’ve still got to clean up some adhesive but here’s what it looks like:I tried to fit my wife’s iPhone 12 Pro Max but as you suspected it didn’t work. The magnet in her case might not have been strong enough but it just seemed too big. Light Gadget Audio equipment Portable electronic game Eyewear
Product Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Rectangle

#15 ·
Finally got the prints off the 3D printer. Took almost 18 hours to print one. Had to make a couple of adjustments then print it again. First picture is me holding it to give an idea of the thickness. As you can see on the side walls, they are angled at 7 degrees to match the sides of the console. It sits very stable once inserted. My Macan MY21 has Wireless CarPlay so this just adds the wireless charger to it as my build did not come with this feature. Car was available and this was basically the only thing on my wish list that wasn't included so I purchased it. I like how I can just lay the phone flat on the tray and close the lid. Some lighting angles in the photos make the print surface look a lot worse than it really its. I was quite impressed with how well it turned out. This is only the 4th part that I have printed so I'm new to the whole 3D printing world but gives me some ideas of what is possible. Got the Ravpower mag charger off of Amazon.

#16 ·
Finally got the prints off the 3D printer. Took almost 18 hours to print one. Had to make a couple of adjustments then print it again. First picture is me holding it to give an idea of the thickness. As you can see on the side walls, they are angled at 7 degrees to match the sides of the console. It sits very stable once inserted. My Macan MY21 has Wireless CarPlay so this just adds the wireless charger to it as my build did not come with this feature. Car was available and this was basically the only thing on my wish list that wasn't included so I purchased it. I like how I can just lay the phone flat on the tray and close the lid. Some lighting angles in the photos make the print surface look a lot worse than it really its. I was quite impressed with how well it turned out. This is only the 4th part that I have printed so I'm new to the whole 3D printing world but gives me some ideas of what is possible. Got the Ravpower mag charger off of Amazon.
That's nice work - did you design the insert? I've got a couple of questions:

1 - What printer did you use?
2 - Would you be willing to model a (wired) dock for a 2019 Cayenne? That one model year only has wired CarPlay and I need to simplify life for the wife. I want an insert that holds the phone in this place, and allows me to route a connector from that insert under the center stack, into the center console, and connect into the USB port.

I've been doing some initial work. Heck, getting an Ender 3 v2 up and running with a BLTouch takes a fair amount of work when you go into it completely ignorant. The third pic is a molding a made so that I could measure things.

#20 ·
At the very least, you've inspired me. I can use the molds I've taken to make some pretty decent measurements. It's the software/modeling where I'm a complete ignoramus. I'll look into SolidWorks. Finding a decent tool is half the battle.

Thingiverse has docks that I can use for inspiration (how to position/hold/route a lightning cable).

#23 · (Edited)
Hi, all.

View attachment 239951

View attachment 239952

Parts list:

Apple MagSafe Charger:
Aukey Mini Charger

View attachment 239953

View attachment 239954

OM!! Thank you for the posting! I opted out for wireless charging option because I didn't like the location and the set up of the original porsche option. I did exactly your version minus the sugru (bought it but didn't need it. I'll keep it just in case).
It fits perfectly and hides the cable + charges well.
The 2021 macan comes with wireless connection so didn't need to connect thru wire unlike my 2017 version macan.

here's what I did!
(made the vinyl crest with cricut)
Camera lens Grey Camera accessory Audio equipment Automotive design
Vehicle Automotive design Computer keyboard Personal luxury car Font

again, Thanks for the tip! I like my Macan even more now!! 🥰

#24 ·
I appreciate that people like to work and customize their cars...(not me), but come on, you don't live in the car. A simple wire snaked out of the center console or lighter socket to the phone can't be that much of a distraction or nuisance, can it ?

#26 ·
I recently bought a 2020 Macan and was looking for a simple Magsafe charging option that used the 12V outlet. I had seen the Rennline mount option, but as I don't really need to see the screen of my phone while it is charging, so I was fine with it being lower down on the console. I found this charger on Amazon which would plug directly into the outlet and had a USB port on it which I could plug a Magsafe charger into. It does offer its own magnetic charging option which wasn't Magsafe and from the reviews didn't seem to work well, so I just needed to use it as a plug and base. As it was only $30 it seemed worth a try and it could be inserted or removed easily anytime.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Bicycle part

I then simply stuck a Magsafe charger to the top and plugged it into the USB port. I am using a 3rd party charger currently as I wanted black and already had one on hand. It seems to work well, but I may need to find a more elegant solution for the wire rather than wrapping it around the mount as I am not sure how that will hold up long-term. As I have a larger Pro Max iPhone it encroaches on the cup holders a little in portrait mode, but if I have a drink in there I can just turn it to landscape.

Wood Basic pump Bicycle part Automotive design Personal protective equipment

Automotive design Grey Telephony Gadget Audio equipment

I also may switch to the Apple charger at some point and use one of these covers to make it look cleaner. Hope this helps anyone looking for a charging solution that is very easy to put together and doesn't cost much.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Table

Attachments

#27 ·
Great idea, and the first device is pretty ideal from a design standpoint, although I wish (as you noted) that it would provide more power for fast charging (in the case of MagSafe, that would mean delivering 15W through a USB-C port; this device provides 5W, which might actually be a net-loss of battery if you are using CarPlay).

Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Hood

The search for a true MagSafe 20W solution has become my obsession lately. The Macan's USB-C ports (2020 and later models) deliver something less than that, i think maybe around 10W. Which seems fine, but if you want the iPhone to trigger the Magsafe animation (the big charging circle), you need at least 15W. That can only be delivered by a cig lighter adapter (hard to plug that in and cover it up), or by pulling power from the fuse box.

I am looking into pulling power from the fuse box. I also know that someone else here has done something similar using the Rennline mount + a wireless charger plug. I am trying to locate my charger in the same position you have...sitting right in front of the cupholders.

#28 ·
Your reply made some great points, so I had to do some more testing. I bought an Apple Magsafe charger and plugged it into the USB-C port under the arm rest and it did trigger the animation so I presume it must provide at least 15W. However, I could not get it to work at all with the base I had in the 12V outlet, so it looks like I'm going to need to stick with this option and slower charging. I drove around for a while with the phone charging on the base in the 12V outlet listening to a podcast using wireless Carplay and the battery percentage was increasing every few minutes so I wasn't seeing a net-loss. It was by no means fast, but I think it will work for me for a while until I can figure out something better using the Apple charger in the same space.

#31 ·
I bought an Apple Magsafe charger and plugged it into the USB-C port under the arm rest and it did trigger the animation so I presume it must provide at least 15W.
oh, interesting-- so maybe that is the best way to get the animation (i.e., the power output of the usb-c port IS sufficient). I currently have a ravpower puck plugged into the armrest console usb-c port, and it does not trigger the animation. But when I use that same puck in my home outlet into a 20W power brick, it does trigger the animation.

#33 ·
LLMACAN

Totally took the same trip you did as I'm sure many Macan owners have. I even switched from Android to an iPhone to use the Apple Play feature of my '17. Disappointed in Apple Play but different topic.

Tried at least 4 mounts until I found a vent mount that worked well. Then found a binnacle for the center console I plan on having installed and wired up but in the meantime found this on rennlist.

$160 is a LOT for a piece of plastic, usb cord and a Magsafe mount but looks like it's OE when installed as is made to fit a 15-21 Macan perfectly.

As long as you like the location and have a smokers kit option, doubt if you'll find a better magsafe mount.

#34 ·
LLMACAN

Totally took the same trip you did as I'm sure many Macan owners have. I even switched from Android to an iPhone to use the Apple Play feature of my '17. Disappointed in Apple Play but different topic.

Tried at least 4 mounts until I found a vent mount that worked well. Then found a binnacle for the center console I plan on having installed and wired up but in the meantime found this on rennlist.

$160 is a LOT for a piece of plastic, usb cord and a Magsafe mount but looks like it's OE when installed as is made to fit a 15-21 Macan perfectly.

As long as you like the location and have a smokers kit option, doubt if you'll find a better magsafe mount.

This looks like a great option. I don't have the smokers kit, so hopefully they will make a version for vehicles without it soon. In the meantime, the charger I made seems to be working well, but I would switch if this other version became available.

#35 · (Edited)
If you don't have the locking glove box, give this one a look. 3D Printed tray for your center console. Scroll down to the second picture which shows a MagSafe-enabled tray:
Wood Rectangle Gadget Circle Auto part

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.