Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

New Porsche owner - just bought a 21 Macan Turbo. I've had numerous BMWs, Audis, Mercedes - this is my first Porsche.

Wireless CarPlay was a key selling point but unlike some manufacturers, I don't seem to have a decent wireless charging option. Figured I'd share what I've done.

I'll cut to the chase. Here's what an iPhone 12 (non Max) looks like sitting on the charger:

Without the phone, looks like this:

Parts list:

Apple MagSafe Charger:
Spigen Mag Fit Charger Pad
Aukey Mini Charger
USB C 90 Degree Connector
Sugru Black Moldable Glue (2 small packs)

Installation is simple, before adhering the pad, it looks like this:

The 90 degree adapter reduced the height of the cable and also allowed it to angle diagonally into the space. The cable off to the right isn't part of the install.

The adhesive on the back of the charger pad isn't strong enough to hold it in place. The pad also needs to be raised a bit so that it sits level with button panels on the side. It needs to do this to make decent contact with the phone.

I used two packs of Sugru to add height to the bottom of the pad and also to serve as adhesive. I am hopeful that if I ever undo this install, a bit of alcohol will take off any residue. If you're not willing to take this chance, do not try this.

The bottom of my pad looked like this before installation:

You also need a MagSafe compatible case (with magnets) from either Apple or another brand. There are 3rd party cases that are MagSafe "compatible" that support charging but don't have magnets. The phone won't stay put with those.

I happen to have a non Max phone because I find the Max too big. I don't know how this would work with the Max phones - I suspect it will be challenging to get it to fit, but it might work.

Hope someone finds this helpful!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice work on this, but, why didn't you just order the wireless charging option when you ordered the car ? Wouldn't that have been a simpler/cleaner option ?
I believe the car already has wireless CarPlay. This install seemed to fulfill two objectives. Charging the phone and holding the phone in a desired location.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe the car already has wireless CarPlay. This install seemed to fulfill two objectives. Charging the phone and holding the phone in a desired location.
There is an option to add wireless charging in the arm rest and includes a holder for the phone.

As it was a new car, it would have made sense to just add the option instead of doing everything that the OP did

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is an option to add wireless charging in the arm rest and includes a holder for the phone.

As it was a new car, it would have made sense to just add the option instead of doing everything that the OP did
If you are ordering a car, that's possible. If you bought it off the lot, as it sounds like the OP did, then it's too late.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the car off a lot. Everything lined up on the purchase. I've custom ordered cars in the past - this was a better option this time around.

Is the charging compartment real? My sales guy told me it's not. I wasn't able to find a picture, video, or anything illustrating it. Does anyone actually have it in a Macan?

Other than the fact that it isn't factory, I might still prefer my option. It's closer to what BMW does with a charging tray. There's no fiddling with an armrest on the way into or out of the car. And if you have to pick up the phone at a stoplight, it's right there.

If someone has wireless CarPlay + the charging compartment, would love to see photos and hear about it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Works great. Just add wireless charging, and better signal strength for the cellular service, to wireless CarPlay. That's an iPhone 12 Pro Max with a more-on-the-thin-side case. The 12 Pro Max won't fit with a thick case. This is very poorly covered on page 159 of the manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'm in the process of printing something like this guy made...
That tray looks nice. If I had the printer and/or skills, I'd take a shot at printing a MagSafe charger mount that sits in the ashtray. I think it would be possible to design one that had legs extending into the ashtray that used pressure to keep them in place. It could extend over the ashtray door to hide it and it would use the 12v socket the way my setup does. Think it would look nicer than what I've done and wouldn't require adhesive.

Looking forward to your pics!

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
217 Posts
That tray looks nice. If I had the printer and/or skills, I'd take a shot at printing a MagSafe charger mount that sits in the ashtray. I think it would be possible to design one that had legs extending into the ashtray that used pressure to keep them in place. It could extend over the ashtray door to hide it and it would use the 12v socket the way my setup does. Think it would look nicer than what I've done and wouldn't require adhesive.

Looking forward to your pics!
now THAT's an idea I'll buy into. Can someone with a 3d printer do that? Do I hear groupbuy?? :)

·
Registered
2017 Porsche Macan
15 Posts
Hi, all.

New Porsche owner - just bought a 21 Macan Turbo. I've had numerous BMWs, Audis, Mercedes - this is my first Porsche.

Wireless CarPlay was a key selling point but unlike some manufacturers, I don't seem to have a decent wireless charging option. Figured I'd share what I've done.

I'll cut to the chase. Here's what an iPhone 12 (non Max) looks like sitting on the charger:

View attachment 239951

Without the phone, looks like this:

View attachment 239952

Parts list:

Apple MagSafe Charger:
Spigen Mag Fit Charger Pad
Aukey Mini Charger
USB C 90 Degree Connector
Sugru Black Moldable Glue (2 small packs)

Installation is simple, before adhering the pad, it looks like this:

View attachment 239953

The 90 degree adapter reduced the height of the cable and also allowed it to angle diagonally into the space. The cable off to the right isn't part of the install.

The adhesive on the back of the charger pad isn't strong enough to hold it in place. The pad also needs to be raised a bit so that it sits level with button panels on the side. It needs to do this to make decent contact with the phone.

I used two packs of Sugru to add height to the bottom of the pad and also to serve as adhesive. I am hopeful that if I ever undo this install, a bit of alcohol will take off any residue. If you're not willing to take this chance, do not try this.

The bottom of my pad looked like this before installation:

View attachment 239954

You also need a MagSafe compatible case (with magnets) from either Apple or another brand. There are 3rd party cases that are MagSafe "compatible" that support charging but don't have magnets. The phone won't stay put with those.

I happen to have a non Max phone because I find the Max too big. I don't know how this would work with the Max phones - I suspect it will be challenging to get it to fit, but it might work.

Hope someone finds this helpful!
I am going to do this on my 2017. Did you need to order two packs of the Subaru adhesive or did you use two of three included in package?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a 3-pack lying around and used 2 of 3 packs. I use Sugru pretty regularly - there's a good chance that if you buy a 3-pack you'll find a use for the 3rd :)

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally got the prints off the 3D printer. Took almost 18 hours to print one. Had to make a couple of adjustments then print it again. First picture is me holding it to give an idea of the thickness. As you can see on the side walls, they are angled at 7 degrees to match the sides of the console. It sits very stable once inserted. My Macan MY21 has Wireless CarPlay so this just adds the wireless charger to it as my build did not come with this feature. Car was available and this was basically the only thing on my wish list that wasn't included so I purchased it. I like how I can just lay the phone flat on the tray and close the lid. Some lighting angles in the photos make the print surface look a lot worse than it really its. I was quite impressed with how well it turned out. This is only the 4th part that I have printed so I'm new to the whole 3D printing world but gives me some ideas of what is possible. Got the Ravpower mag charger off of Amazon.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Finally got the prints off the 3D printer. Took almost 18 hours to print one. Had to make a couple of adjustments then print it again. First picture is me holding it to give an idea of the thickness. As you can see on the side walls, they are angled at 7 degrees to match the sides of the console. It sits very stable once inserted. My Macan MY21 has Wireless CarPlay so this just adds the wireless charger to it as my build did not come with this feature. Car was available and this was basically the only thing on my wish list that wasn't included so I purchased it. I like how I can just lay the phone flat on the tray and close the lid. Some lighting angles in the photos make the print surface look a lot worse than it really its. I was quite impressed with how well it turned out. This is only the 4th part that I have printed so I'm new to the whole 3D printing world but gives me some ideas of what is possible. Got the Ravpower mag charger off of Amazon.
That's nice work - did you design the insert? I've got a couple of questions:

1 - What printer did you use?
2 - Would you be willing to model a (wired) dock for a 2019 Cayenne? That one model year only has wired CarPlay and I need to simplify life for the wife. I want an insert that holds the phone in this place, and allows me to route a connector from that insert under the center stack, into the center console, and connect into the USB port.

I've been doing some initial work. Heck, getting an Ender 3 v2 up and running with a BLTouch takes a fair amount of work when you go into it completely ignorant. The third pic is a molding a made so that I could measure things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Run

I have the Ender 3 V2 with the BlTouch installed. I used Popsicle sticks to get the measurements required from the console then modeled it up in Solidworks. Sliced it with Cura and the big wait begins. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Marc

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
217 Posts
@MacanforMarc that is really some nice work! Are you willing to sell? :) I'd be interested.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@MacanforMarc that is really some nice work! Are you willing to sell? :) I'd be interested.
Maybe get it modded to work with the new MagSafe charger? The MagSage may not be necessary, and might limit you to certain iPhones/cases, but it does provide some more grip to keep things from moving around. MagSafe might charge faster, too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Run

I have the Ender 3 V2 with the BlTouch installed. I used Popsicle sticks to get the measurements required from the console then modeled it up in Solidworks. Sliced it with Cura and the big wait begins. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Marc
At the very least, you've inspired me. I can use the molds I've taken to make some pretty decent measurements. It's the software/modeling where I'm a complete ignoramus. I'll look into SolidWorks. Finding a decent tool is half the battle.

Thingiverse has docks that I can use for inspiration (how to position/hold/route a lightning cable).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts