Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Blazer is not in the same segment as it’s not in the premium luxury category, but from styling to features everything is very compatible to the Base.

Sure it has competitors in the same category but they just don’t look as good and sporty as the Blazer. Many of them look just like a “jacked up” minivan.

For a loaded RS, it’d still be about 10 grands cheaper than a “bare bone” Base with no options. Given the fact that the Macan is selling so well, I doubt dealers would give any discounts.

We just don’t think it makes sense to pay close to $60k for a crossover with 18” wheels, 8-way power seats, a cheap non dimming mirror that you find in a $10k car, and so forth.

So you may argue that you are paying that price tag for performance or driving dynamics, but if we were looking for those it’d certainly be the S or GTS and not the Base model. The Base as we are driving now doesn’t seem to offer much of those.

And performance wise on the RS it comes with a V6 with over 300hp. It’d certainly be outperform the Base in terms of acceleration.

The only thing I don’t like about the Blazer is there’s no power folding mirrors (which I use a lot).

Thoughts and comments? We are still deciding.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd look for a CPO GTS for 50-52k rather than buy the Blazer.

Reactions: V6TT

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Thoughts and comments? We are still deciding.
For starters you are leasing and I feel Porsche leases are awful . You are also comparing an entry level Macan to a decent spec lower grade vehicle citing option price and one performance statistic as reasoning . It's such an apples to oranges . Heck with leasing you may even find that Audi and BMW offer a middle ground .

I wish I could give an opinion. If I were shopping base Macan cars I would want one stripped of most options . I wold not even buy an S . I start at the GTS and end at the Turbo and you could buy two Blazer RS cars for that .

But yes .. I do think a GTS or Turbo is twice as good . It has more refinement . It will, handle better . I'd feel more safe in. any emergency driving situation. It will hold up better if owned long term .

There will always be faster competitors and less expensive ones but it's a Porsche . Plus if price has no object who's number 1 at the ring ? (Porsche) Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times - FastestLaps.com

Porsche Macan for the win ! (y)

·
Registered
76 Posts
One of my friends just bought a new Blazer, and I helped her shop for it.

Cpmletely understand why the vast majority of people cannot justify the extra cost of stepping up to the driving dynamics of the Porsche. No question the Blazer is competent enough for basic day-to-day duties.

One thing you immediately notice with the Blazer if you push it at all the stability control system jumps in, applying the brakes heavily. There is just no question this is not a performance SUV, but again the vast majority of buyers are not looking for that.

What I really dislike is that it has a typical Chevrolet cheap looking and feeling interior, lots of hard plastic that feels very flimsy. I noticed how flimsy the steering wheel feel, and they have some sharp edges too, and even the window switches feel cheap. And the air vents are mounted way too low.

The other thing immediately noticeable is the visibility from the driver seat sucks. The windshield pillars are pretty thick, and the side glass is rather short.

Also I seriously doubt your claim that the blazer V6 outperforms the base in acceleration. I would say they are going to be very similar. You need to remember that a horsepower rating is not the only determinate. For example, the transmission on the Blazer is significantly slower shifting versus the Macan PDK.

Definitely do check out the dependability ratings on JD Power and Consumer Reports. Pretty disappointing for the Blazer. And I think you also need to consider how much of that price difference you are going to lose in depreciation over your course of ownership. Of course not claiming the cost of ownership for the Blazer is going to be anywhere near the Macan. These simply are not comparable vehicles.

But overall, the Blazer is a reasonably competent, but very basic SUV. You could do a lot worse.

But not sure how you could claim it’s very compatible to the base Macan. Have you actually driven one of the new Blazers? I get the impression what you have done is merely a paper comparison. Don’t think anyone would ever drive these two vehicles back to back and come away saying they are comparable.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
If you are interested in bang for the buck, check out the Sante Fe. Somewhat light on power, but I hear there are new engines coming for MY21? And I would expect the reliability ratings to far exceed the Blazer. The interiors in the upper trim levels are pretty nice considering the price range they are in.

Reactions: TXRed and CSBE

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
We just don’t think it makes sense to pay close to $60k for a crossover with 18” wheels, 8-way power seats, a cheap non dimming mirror that you find in a $10k car, and so forth.

So you may argue that you are paying that price tag for performance or driving dynamics, but if we were looking for those it’d certainly be the S or GTS and not the Base model. The Base as we are driving now doesn’t seem to offer much of those.
I totally agree. Porsche needs to stop cheaping out their "Premium Luxury Performance" vehicles. A $60,000 car/CUV should come with dimming mirrors and nicer wheels, even if it's just a base.

Before I'd go with American though, I'd look at comparable vehicles from BMW and Mercedes Benz.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I totally agree. Porsche needs to stop cheaping out their "Premium Luxury Performance" vehicles. A $60,000 car/CUV should come with dimming mirrors and nicer wheels, even if it's just a base.

Before I'd go with American though, I'd look at comparable vehicles from BMW and Mercedes Benz.
Always wonder what would happen if they dropped the base model 🙄

·
Registered
246 Posts
To OP, the Cayenne Coupe also comes with standard 8 way power seats if I remember correctly, others I am not sure, with a base price of $76k

·
Registered
566 Posts
To me the biggest difference between Macan and Blazer is in the drivetrain - Macan is RWD-oriented and Blazer is FWD-oriented.

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
71 Posts
Car and Driver gives the Blazer RS 6.5/10 and gives the Macan 10/10.

I am sure the Blazer would be a nice SUV, but if you want handling (it doesn't sound like that is what is important to you) it cannot touch the Macan.

My buddy has a high spec Avalanche and it is very impressive inside.

I didn't realize how truly nice the Macan with Premium Plus really is until after I purchased mine and then got into some other cars. As often as not, it is my passengers who comment on just how nice my car is inside.

If you are buying it to get around town efficiently and in comfort, the Blazer should be fine.

JMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would not buy a new base Macan. I would only buy a GTS or turbo. If a new GTS or turbo was out of your budget that I would buy the nicest used model that was within budget. That’s what I did. I bought a used 2016 turbo Macan last year with 15k miles. I had a BMW X5 years ago but the Turbo Macan is head and shoulders above anything I’ve ever driven. My previous car was an infinity q50s Hybrid. Also, the Macan Launch mode is ridiculous, although it makes my wife carsick🙁. Nothing better than 0 to 60 in just over four seconds when getting onto the interstate on ramp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing you immediately notice with the Blazer if you push it at all the stability control system jumps in, applying the brakes heavily. There is just no question this is not a performance SUV, but again the vast majority of buyers are not looking for that.

What I really dislike is that it has a typical Chevrolet cheap looking and feeling interior, lots of hard plastic that feels very flimsy. I noticed how flimsy the steering wheel feel, and they have some sharp edges too, and even the window switches feel cheap. And the air vents are mounted way too low.

The other thing immediately noticeable is the visibility from the driver seat sucks. The windshield pillars are pretty thick, and the side glass is rather short.

Also I seriously doubt your claim that the blazer V6 outperforms the base in acceleration. I would say they are going to be very similar. You need to remember that a horsepower rating is not the only determinate. For example, the transmission on the Blazer is significantly slower shifting versus the Macan PDK.

Definitely do check out the dependability ratings on JD Power and Consumer Reports. Pretty disappointing for the Blazer. And I think you also need to consider how much of that price difference you are going to lose in depreciation over your course of ownership. Of course not claiming the cost of ownership for the Blazer is going to be anywhere near the Macan. These simply are not comparable vehicles.

But overall, the Blazer is a reasonably competent, but very basic SUV. You could do a lot worse.

But not sure how you could claim it’s very compatible to the base Macan. Have you actually driven one of the new Blazers? I get the impression what you have done is merely a paper comparison. Don’t think anyone would ever drive these two vehicles back to back and come away saying they are comparable.
I labeled all your points by numbers it’s easier to reply to them.

1. Can you explain more of what you meant in the bolded text?

2. At least the Blazer has a better done stitched dash than the plastc rubberized looking dash on the Macan.

But it’s just a matter of preference. I have sat inside the RS at a dealer showroom before and didn’t notice much of what you described - the cheap plastic.

3. Just like above, I sat inside one and not aware of what you described. And believe me, I’ve driven cars with much poorer visibility than cars made these days

4. Are you driving the Base btw? I am glad you bought it up about the engine power, because I do have something to say about the engine, which for the price tag compared to some sub-lux or econ CUVs is quite a disappointment under certain conditions.

Everytime it launches, let say from a stop light, it feels like some person is giving you a push from behind. As soon as you are off the line the person suddenly quits on you leaving you alone to get up to speed, and you struggle to speed up. It feels just like that.

Another condition, is when you are trying to speed up during mid-speed, let say at around 35mph and you want to get up to 65 quickly, the engine for some reason and at some point feels absolutely powerless. Try to floor the gas pedal? No it doesn’t do anything. I can hear the engine is working really hard but nothing is done to speed up quicker. I just don’t know how Porsche programmed this engine (did someone say it’s made by Audi?) to work with the transmission, it’s just so underperforming under certain conditions.

For the J.D Power, I really don’t care much as I will be leasing. Also I have heard people say (don’t quote me on that) the report is bias so don’t trust it 100%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would not buy a new base Macan. I would only buy a GTS or turbo. If a new GTS or turbo was out of your budget that I would buy the nicest used model that was within budget. That’s what I did. I bought a used 2016 turbo Macan last year with 15k miles. I had a BMW X5 years ago but the Turbo Macan is head and shoulders above anything I’ve ever driven. My previous car was an infinity q50s Hybrid. Also, the Macan Launch mode is ridiculous, although it makes my wife carsick🙁. Nothing better than 0 to 60 in just over four seconds when getting onto the interstate on ramp.
Not into buying a used car. Next vehicle will be a lease again most definitely.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maurice, I recently had a brand new Blazer RS rental for a week.

I noticed the same issue with the stability control. It is simply too aggressive. if you read Consumer Reports’ road test of the Blazer, they also mention the same thing. The car just has no sporting pretensions at all. But for someone using this just to go to the supermarket, it’s unlikely to be much of an issue.

As for the driving experience, I think someone else used the word “competent“. That’s really a good description. I would say the best thing about the Blazer is the powertrain. The V6 has decent power, and the transmission is also decent. Handling is fine, but again there’s nothing sporty about it.

I noticed the same flimsy hard plastic and I also sizable gaps on the middle of the dashboard which were not aligned correctly. You mentioned the stitched dash board. I assume you realize the only thing that is stitched is the leading edge, and the rest is that same hard plastic. The steering wheel stalks also felt particularly flimsy. The Blazer just does not exude high-quality at all.

I also noticed the same short side glass and massive windshield pillars that made visibility lousy compared to most other SUVs. And the rearward visibility is no better.

All that being said, if you like it, go for it. It is certainly not a bad vehicle. But I saw the window sticker in the glove compartment, and it’s certainly no bargain compared to other vehicles in its class, especially in the RS trim. For that kind of money, for a mainstream midsize SUV I think you would be totally remiss not to look at something like the Kia Telluride or the Hyundai Palisade. Noticeably much better build quality.

I think you are doing yourself a disservice by trying to compare it to a Porsche. Just about anything is going to look like a bargain compared to any Porsche. Few people shopping based on price are ever going to pick a Porsche.

·
Registered
246 Posts
To OP: Have you ever checked out the Alfa Stelvio?

You can get a RWD version pretty well equipped for under $50k, and at least to be still under the premium segment.

They just upgraded the interior materials this year that look pretty decent and along with the full touchscreen.

Someone I know dyno-tested the 2.0 it can go to 60 under 6 secs, which is quicker than anything in the segment and close to some V6s.

It does have electric folding mirrors standard if that’s just what you are looking for besides engine power.

What it doesn’t have are the option of passenger side memory or steering column, regardless what trim.

And I think even if you pick the lowest trim it does come with 10-way power seats adjustments with power lumber support.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts