Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks dleuen. It’s not the answer I was hoping for but from further reading it looks less likely of a set up issue and more the software/hardware on early gen2 models.
i also contacted the tech team at Porsche who has raised a case with a team in Germany but not expecting a miracle fix unless it’s just a software/firmware issue that the local Porsche dealer can load up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hate to bring up CarPlay again but I’m just wondering if wireless is working consistently for anyone?

We have a recently purchased 2020 Macan S (+ iPhone XR and iPhone 11) and we’ve been very frustrated with the inconsistencies with wireless. I haven’t moved to wired yet since wireless was one of the key features we wanted.

We’ve tried many things eg resetting the PCM, forgetting the device on the phones and re-installing, turning off the car hotspot, etc. I get that maybe the phone is connected to our wifi at home when we leave the garage and it takes a few minutes when you drive off to reestablish bluetooth and local wifi. But there is no consistency.

Issues that come up:
  • Often have to manually ‘link’ the phone in the device setting
  • Asking Siri a question, sometimes results in no response at all.
  • Sometimes black screen on CarPlay when switching from Home
  • Intermittent music skipping while streaming but seems to be improving
  • Sometimes won’t connect until 10 minutes or more into the drive
  • Pressing the onscreen microphone sometimes nothing happens
  • Go to a destination, CarPlay works well. Leave the destination no CarPlay active
  • CarPlay will connect/disconnect while driving and then reconnect.
We’ll be visiting our Porsche dealer next week, but at this point (assuming we have the latest software installed) I’m not sure what if they can do anything as I believe this is a Porsche PCM/CarPlay issue not playing well together rather than an Apple issue.

Again, at this point, I’m just curious if wireless is working consistently for others (including others with two phones connected)?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
227 Posts
I used carplay in both modes: wired and wireless (bluetooth). Both are just inconsistent, the wireless more so than wired. I dont know if its because:

1- I have an old iphone 8 but up to date ios version
2- I have an old PCM firmware version?
3- most times wireless works when my iphone is freshly rebooted/powered off/on

I just learned to adapt by plugging unplugging until carplay works

Reactions: Jammer005

·
Registered
26 Posts
Merging with an existing (2019) thread on the same topic.

@[B]Jammer005[/B]: Also see the following threads:

... I dont know if its because:

1- I have an old iphone 8 but up to date ios version
2- I have an old PCM firmware version?
3- most times wireless works when my iphone is freshly rebooted/powered off/on

I just learned to adapt by plugging unplugging until carplay works
Thanks for the reply.
It’s the amount of time I’ve spent troubleshooting this for my wife that’s most frustrating. I suspect it’s none of the above. I think Porsche needs to understand that end user software is a growing value in what customers look for in a car. Surely they know of these issues, so why not put a bulletin out saying they are aware, workaround for now is wired and they hope to have an update by xx/xx/xx. Maybe I’m making a big deal of this but I’ve been in tech/software for >40 years and end users shouldn’t have to go through all this experimenting for a feature that is promoted on these cars.
(end of vent)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Porsche corporate - are you listening???
Not to pile on ;) but I appreciate Porsche for its performance etc. My wife who I talked into the Macan (from a Merc. GLK) likes the performance but she cares about usability first. Her user experience isn’t positive when I’m asking her for weeks to help keep an eye on things so we can troubleshoot.
Hence my original question, if it’s a known issue by Porsche (which given the posts from years ago it should be) and most users are experiencing this then I know not to waste any more time troubleshooting and to wait for an update.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hate to be the one to say it works flawlessly but wireless CarPlay works flawlessly on my 2020 S with an iPhone 11. Having said that I know the frustration because I used to have a 2019 base and wireless just would not work. So at some point they fixed it. My 2020 S is a September build date. I do agree Porsche (and every car maker) needs to realize that they are now in the software business too and should be applying well tested fixes occasionally. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy an EV Porsche for quite some time. In those cars the software is even more critical. Good luck with your issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@dleuen Glad to heating it’s working well!. My build date is Sept 2019.
Question: are you using a SIM card in the car and/or do you know if you have hotspot setup?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No SIM card and didn't set up a hotspot or anything special for the 2020 S. My 2019 Base Macan that didn't work was a May build date. With that I would always get a message "No device connected. Connect your phone via USB or WiFi to use smartphone integration".

·
Registered
338 Posts
General facts about wireless CarPlay to help people out:
  • It uses Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time.
  • You do not need a hotspot plan active in your car for CarPlay to work, but your car's WiFi must be enabled/active/working.
  • It is best if you pair the phone to the car via Bluetooth only, first. This is my opinion, not a fact.
  • If your phone frequently doesn't connect until you're 10 minutes down the road, read my opinion one line up, and try re-pairing everything
  • CarPlay will frequently not connect if your phone is already connected to your house WiFi
  • Also my unconfirmed opinion: if you turn on privacy mode so that your car isn't phoning home to Porsche, you may experience CarPlay connection problems.

·
Registered
371 Posts
guys, I've had carplay in many cars and it never worked flawlessly in any of them. I don't think porsche has access to carplay code itself so it's not always Porsche to blame. We can blame porsche for that we can't skip tracks from the steering wheel but the rest is not 100% on them.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
It’s the amount of time I’ve spent troubleshooting this for my wife that’s most frustrating. I suspect it’s none of the above. I think Porsche needs to understand that end user software is a growing value in what customers look for in a car. Surely they know of these issues, so why not put a bulletin out saying they are aware, workaround for now is wired and they hope to have an update by xx/xx/xx. Maybe I’m making a big deal of this but I’ve been in tech/software for >40 years and end users shouldn’t have to go through all this experimenting for a feature that is promoted on these cars.
(end of vent)
Support for may tech items is horrible. Maybe with your background you understand why. Apple TV, Apple ITunes, Apple Remote App is one that drives me nuts. Half the online support and FAQs is out of date and cryptic. If you need more help then your are directed to some user group with people who are having the same issues with no solutions. Quicken was another bad one although they have gotten better since their sale.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Support for may tech items is horrible. Maybe with your background you understand why. Apple TV, Apple ITunes, Apple Remote App is one that drives me nuts. Half the online support and FAQs is out of date and cryptic. If you need more help then your are directed to some user group with people who are having the same issues with no solutions. Quicken was another bad one although they have gotten better since their sale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
...Apple TV, Apple ITunes, Apple Remote App is one that drives me nuts....
Understood. And for me Apple TV, iTunes, Remote work perfect well and I use them pretty well daily together including on old gen Apple TVs :). My original question was really to find out if it was working consistently for others. If it was, then I get if it's an intermittent problem it's a tougher issue to deal with and could lie with Apple who gives car manufacturers APIs (to connect their software to) or it could be Porsche and their software (or may be dependant on PCM/model build which would be interesting to know as a post earlier revealed a later build is working well). I would expect Porsche to get together with Apple and work on solving it. But as I said if it's inconsistent it's a tougher issue but some of these complaints go back to more than 5 years...

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
227 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
(end of vent)
I think whoever manufactured or supplier of Porsche's PCM head unit is partly to blame and get that carplay fixed.

From an engineers perspective... You’d think that their tech/dev/engineering team would have tested all types of scenarios and im willing to bet they’ve come across the same results from your testing and possibly other issues we’ve yet to touch upon.My problem is: why release the product in production with “known issues” (known to internal PCM engineers) unless you planned to “fix” them at a later time via firmware update!? The macan’s been out for a coupla years so wheres the fix? First and second gen macans appear to have identical CarPlay issues

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think whoever manufactured or supplier of Porsche's PCM head unit need is partly to blame and get that carplay fixed.

The macan’s been out for a coupla years so wheres the fix? First and second gen macans appear to have identical CarPlay issues

>> Yes, my point exactly. If it’s a know issue then I’d be completely happy if Porsche said “we are aware of the issues and are working on a solution that we hope to release in the Spring” or whenever.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
That has worked with Apple Car Play on the rare occasion that unplugging and plugging did not work.
Unlinking/Linking has worked as well. But my wife doesn’t want to keep trying different solutions.

CarPlay looks to be updated ever major iOS update. So maybe iOS 15 will solve some of these inconsistencies.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts