Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Long time stalker of the forum. I've also test driven a Macan S but have yet to pull the trigger because of future model considerations. (Also, my wife is 80% convinced that our first Porsche should be a 911 or a Cayman).

Onto my question. It seems some folks have concerns about the Macan 2.0L using an Audi engine (same for the diesel), so I'm wondering how people would feel if Porsche launched a Macan with the 290ish hp flat-4 being developed for the next Cayman and Boxster?

I imagine it could provide good acceleration (0-60 in 5.9 or so), a lower weight & COG for improved handling and, bonus, less fuel consumption.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That won't happen with the current chassis, which is out of the Audi Q5, never designed to have a flat engine installed.

Given that the VAG strategy is platform sharing, the MBQ will be the chassis used on the next Q5 and the future Macan, so I guess a flat four or sixt won't ever be put in a Macan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That won't happen with the current chassis, which is out of the Audi Q5, never designed to have a flat engine installed.

Given that the VAG strategy is platform sharing, the MBQ will be the chassis used on the next Q5 and the future Macan, so I guess a flat four or sixt won't ever be put in a Macan.
Thanks @BatuKMan I had a suspicion that there might be a compatibility issue and your assessment likely confirms it. Oh well, one can dream...

·
Super Moderator
7,178 Posts
I agree. Never going to happen. Porsche is the architect for all future VAG sports cars, not for the SUVs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me i hope that the current 2.0 engine stays on the markets it´s currently on. I see no need to expand the markets for this entry level engine. Maybe it is only me, but i would never ever considering buying a Macan with 4-cyl engine. Then i would rather by a cheaper car to save money. The difference in overall feeling between 4 and 6 cyl is just to big. regardless of HP and accelration time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Macan is too heavy for a 4 cyl. The difference in weight between a 6 cyl and a 4 cyl engine will not give you that much better fuel economy and the penalty in performance for such a heavy car will make it too pedestrian. Maybe a 4 cyl hybrid if they make it but it won't be cheap, so why wait? The car is too good now, the way it is, and all, all reviewers agree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am not saying the Audi 2.0T is a bad choice. If fact this engine must be good enough that it’s being used on many models, the A4 A5 A6 Q5 and even the heaviest Q7 of all. But since Porsche already makes its own 4 cylinder engines wouldn’t it make the Base more “Porsche” feel with its own engine?

Maybe because it’s based on the Q5 and better to use the same engine? But if that’s so why didn’t they use the same transmission instead with their own PDK?

·
Registered
161 Posts
No doubt they saved huge amounts on development costs by using an engine already being used with the same platform.

And Porsche didn't use their own transmission in the Macan. It's actually an Audi unit that has little in common with the dual clutch units used in Porsche's sports cars.

Porsche calling it a PDK is insignificant. Similar to when GM used Chevrolet's Powerglide transmission in some Oldsmobiles and called it a Jetaway transmission.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never said the Macan is a Porsche in name only. But there are plenty of parts sourced from other VAG divisions. Take a close look and you will see plenty of parts with 4 rings and/or VW's insignia. And I have no issue with that given how well the Macan drives.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No doubt they saved huge amounts on development costs by using an engine already being used with the same platform.

And Porsche didn't use their own transmission in the Macan. It's actually an Audi unit that has little in common with the dual clutch units used in Porsche's sports cars.

Porsche calling it a PDK is insignificant. Similar to when GM used Chevrolet's Powerglide transmission in some Oldsmobiles and called it a Jetaway transmission.
Wow! You must be a history buff or old like I am, if you remember the 1953 Hydramatic plant fire! I do believe that Cadillac and Oldsmobile got the Buick Dynaflow, and the lesser stable mate of Pontiac got the Powerglides. I suspect the collector cars today with the "wrong" transmissions may be more valuable now, but they were not perceived as such at the time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts