Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
From a reliability stand point (granted my experience is limited) I would go Macan. My Macan turbo has been in the shop only once for a problem (mid-pipe weld failed) vs my neighbors x5 diesel. He’s had his entire panoramic roof fail, start and electrical issues along with a vacuum line on the motor cracking and causing random engine lights that took weeks to diagnose.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
What one is paying for in the "slower" Porsche is the refinement ...

That's why even the "slower" car guy will say "well it's a Porsche"...

But the point is he standsa good chance of winning with a Porsche and even if he loses he is still a winner.

When you lose the race and lose your shirt with it, the only thing you can do is say it's a Porsche if you don't have an exit strategy. You gotta know your competition before you race, or you don't race at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 15 X5 3.0 M-sport and an 18 Macan GTS. There is not any comparison between them. The BMW is big and heavy. The Macan drives (and is) much smaller and more dynamic in every way. They’re just not similar at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 15 X5 3.0 M-sport and an 18 Macan GTS. There is not any comparison between them. The BMW is big and heavy. The Macan drives (and is) much smaller and more dynamic in every way. They’re just not similar at all.
I have said this many times before, the real comparison to Macan is X3 M40i and once the X3M gets released early next year Macan Turbo can be compared against it.
I am not even sure why people want to bring the X5 into this class.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I am not even sure why people want to bring the X5 into this class.
I don’t think that there is any question that these two are in different classes, however I can see them being cross shopped giving the pricing. In fact, there have been numerous discussions hear on the forum over the years comparing these two.

We own both, a Macan Turbo and an X5 50i. And we like them both, but for different reasons of course.

The X5 is far more practical given that it is significantly larger every dimension. While I like the 18 way seats in the Macan very much, no question the optional 20 way seats we have in the X5 are even better. And BMW has it all over Porsche with tech.

I do love that V-8 sound in the X5, although admittedly many other V8’s have a better exhaust note. I like the PSE, but it just can’t match the sound of a V8.

On the other hand the X5 has a rather choppy ride, especially with the optional 20 inch wheels that we have. It’s better now that we have ditched the runflat tires, but the Macan has a much more compliant ride, even with the 21 inch wheels that we have.

Given its size and weight, the X5 has very good steering and handling, but to no surprise the Macan is far ahead in these respects, even more so since I installed the AS lowering module. No question the Macan is a sportier drive, by a significant margin.

The BMW V8 has ample power, but the Macan Turbo just blows it away given it’s much lighter weight, and it has similar low end grunt despite being down on cylinders and displacement. And the Cobb on the Macan just finishes the job. Never put a tuning kit on the X5, but it could be interesting.

The PDK is great, but I also can’t say enough good things about the ZF sourced 8 speed on the X5. We have the same transmission on the M235, and it is excellent for a slushbox.

The optional HK stereo in the X5 is excellent, but the Burmester in the Macan blows it away. And it should, considering the price :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all,

I am new here and hope I'm not creating a redundant thread. Reality is I am looking for my next ride. I currently have a BMW 540i on lease and give it back in June. I've decided I prefer getting in and out of an SUV (yeah crummy knees and wife's back isn't great either). Plus believe it or not getting 3 sets of golf clubs into the 540i is difficult. Weird that last part. Most of the time I drive to grocery store or doctors or visit my guitar pusher. Rarely do I need more than 2 people but at least 3 and 3 sets of clubs is the minimum.

The logical choice is a Kia Telluride. Does everything well and is comfortable. Only one thing - BORING. OK I don't take corners pushing the envelope and try not to speed to the point the police want to beat me when they catch me. I just like driving to be a bit of fun and when I want to pass someone I wish to have the "blessed mother of acceleration" on my side. So Probably no Kia. Here are the cars I'm looking at. BTW, I'd prefer keeping costs under $70k. Lower is better as I really don't need a car that bad. Heck I am retired.

Macan - new base unit. Wondering if the power will do. I am used to the 540i which is pretty quick. Numbers say this is a step down. But fun isn't always measured by numbers.

Macan S - Seems a new one can be had under $70K. Numbers say it scoots. Might consider a late model used with low miles.

BMW X5 - Numbers say it scoots but having done a test drive it clearly isn't "sporty" like my 540i. And with M Sport and the rest more like $78k MSRP.

Audi SQ5 - nice engine and good pricing. Not as attractive outside but I could live with that. Anyone here have a solid comparison to a Macan?

Thanks for sharing any experiences or opinions.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I own both a Macan S and an Audi SQ5. As far as 3 Sets of golf clubs my Macan requires you fold down part of the rear seat for just 2 sets. The same would go for three with 2 Stacked on top of each other. I know the Audi will handle three sets as the rear cargo compartment is wider And will fit across the width.
Can’t help you with the X5 as I don’t own one You would to have to give that a try.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Hello all,

I am new here and hope I'm not creating a redundant thread. Reality is I am looking for my next ride. I currently have a BMW 540i on lease and give it back in June. I've decided I prefer getting in and out of an SUV (yeah crummy knees and wife's back isn't great either). Plus believe it or not getting 3 sets of golf clubs into the 540i is difficult. Weird that last part. Most of the time I drive to grocery store or doctors or visit my guitar pusher. Rarely do I need more than 2 people but at least 3 and 3 sets of clubs is the minimum.

The logical choice is a Kia Telluride. Does everything well and is comfortable. Only one thing - BORING. OK I don't take corners pushing the envelope and try not to speed to the point the police want to beat me when they catch me. I just like driving to be a bit of fun and when I want to pass someone I wish to have the "blessed mother of acceleration" on my side. So Probably no Kia. Here are the cars I'm looking at. BTW, I'd prefer keeping costs under $70k. Lower is better as I really don't need a car that bad. Heck I am retired.

Macan - new base unit. Wondering if the power will do. I am used to the 540i which is pretty quick. Numbers say this is a step down. But fun isn't always measured by numbers.

Macan S - Seems a new one can be had under $70K. Numbers say it scoots. Might consider a late model used with low miles.

BMW X5 - Numbers say it scoots but having done a test drive it clearly isn't "sporty" like my 540i. And with M Sport and the rest more like $78k MSRP.

Audi SQ5 - nice engine and good pricing. Not as attractive outside but I could live with that. Anyone here have a solid comparison to a Macan?

Thanks for sharing any experiences or opinions.
Try to find an X3M or X4M within 200 miles radius and deal. Right now you can get 12-15% discount on either one. They have more room, better performance, and lower price than the Macan. My sister just bought an X4M Competition, listed at $85k, sold for $74.5k based on my recommendation. X3M and X4M have lower msrps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The X5 and Telluride are large and will both drive like station wagons compared to the Macan or the Q3. If you're priority is for something less large like the Macan and want a similarly sized BMW you should be considering the X3 or 4 like windblow mentions above. The Macan will likely handle better than anything on the list, but won't have as much get up and go as the X3\4M.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Try to find an X3M or X4M within 200 miles radius and deal. Right now you can get 12-15% discount on either one. They have more room, better performance, and lower price than the Macan. My sister just bought an X4M Competition, listed at $85k, sold for $74.5k based on my recommendation. X3M and X4M have lower msrps.
She bought local. Had similar multiple deals. Chicago offered $73.2k plus $1.1k shipping to NC for the same car. Her local dealer offered her one of two coming in. The other one was sold before it even arrived on dealer's lot. It's not like they cannot sell them. The car sells itself, and they want to sell as many as they can make, which is good and bad at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Thanks. How does driving them compare?
Well I know this is going against the grain but the Audi is no slouch. I have my Macan S tuned with Cobb so without that being done the Audi would truly out run the Porsche. Does the Porsche out handle the Audi it probably would but I do not have the qualifications to take either to the limit. The Audi is 2018 and the Porsche is. 2015. I really like the Audi and when the time comes I’m probably doing to buy an Audi. Some will say the fit and finish is better on the Porsche I really don’t see it.

Only complaint with the Audi is the seats are very hard. It’s my wife’s car so the seats haven’t see much weight but these things are like sitting on a rock. That’s a fix that will break in with time I assume but the Audi comes with all the bells and whistles Porsche charges dearly for. The Audi doesn’t look as sporty as the Porsche but it’s got plenty of HP and torque under the hood and with the 8 speed transmission gets better mileage overall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seriously considering the new x5M competition over the 2020 Macan GTS. BMW is offering a fairly nice discount plus better lease terms.
Probably going to stay w/ Porsche but it is intriguing.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
The BMWs are making some serious performance contenders.

Now, if they'd only shrink those HIDEOUS grilles back to a more 'normal' size... YUK!!! :sick:

:eek:

NOTE TO BMW: The entire front end of your vehicles doesn't have to be taken up with grilles. TOO MUCH!!!
You're style is becoming like the Edsel cars of the 50s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A quick update on my search. I visited Audi and Porsche dealers. The SQ5 is a neat car but I found the sport seat a bit tight. The interior of the Macan also felt tight. I'm not huge at 6' and 225 pounds (102 kilos for my metric friends). Salesman at Porsche dealer (devious man that he is) suggested looking at a Cayenne and oh look there is a used (1900 miles) base model with all the features for sale for $74K.

Went for a test drive. First, the car I'm used to driving is a 2017 540i which is kinda quick. The base Cayenne isn't quite as nimble or quick but Shazam. I could live with it. I loved the handling and confidence I got behind the wheel. And it goes fast enough for anything I'll do. Only downside compared to my BMW is when passing going say 45-70 the 540i is quicker but I can deal with it.

I am still a month away from returning my leased 540i. If I wasn't I'd be looking to see what deal they would make for the used 2019 Cayenne. I am pretty sure that is my preference and if Porsche is dealing at all a used low mile 2019 or new 2020 base model are in my future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm back. Jeez I am an indecisive beeyatch. I have come full circle back to the Macan again. I think it's big enough if the seat works so tomorrow I am test driving both a macan and an S version. Just curious what kind of discounts they are offering on Porsches these days. Any consistent number off MSRP I should be seeking?

·
Registered
2015 PGTS
23 Posts
which seats have you tried in the Macan? 14 and 18 feel different to me, not just in how they adjust.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts