Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Anyone ever notice that Porsche and Mercedes seem to be built like a tank compared to BMW and paint job also seem better? When I shut the door on aPorsche and our Mercedes compared to my BMW they have a nice, solid thunk. Both seem built like tank. My wife states that all the time.
[/B]
I think this is v much a matter of personal opinion.
My wife reckons her X5 is significantly quieter than my Macan and several thimes when she's got into my car she's shut the door and said "Why can't Porsche make nice solid doors like my X5". Horses for courses...

I love my Macan, but afraid I have to agree the X5 is quieter on the highway. I think this is mainly due to tire noise, have the continental's on my Macan & will change to the Michelin's next. Our X5 has 315 section on the rear, so I'm surprised how quiet it is.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The Macan is quieter than my 535i which says a ton as that was quieter than any of my MB's and extremely isolated. But the new X5 should be quieter. It's a big, more ponderously boat like luxury SUV. The Macan is the "sports car" of the raised up hatchback world. They each serve those purposes over each other.

The X5 is a much better family SUV, better to tote the kids to soccer practice, thankfully as the Macan is supposed to cater to those of us who don't want that as priority out of a car like this.

In the world of big SUV's though, X5 is probably behind the Cayenne in dynamics, which isn't saying a lot if you're comparing to a Macan, but is impressive in its own right as those are legitimate luxury trucks.

To get X5 like techtainment in a Macan, prepare to pay a lot more for the Macan. Just like if you want Macan dynamics out of an X5, prepare to pay a lot more than what the X5 costs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a very hard comparison. The DNA of both of these cars are very different. One is more driver and race inspired and the other is more utilitarian inspired.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
There's always the X5M...

Yep. And starting at $100K, it ain't cheap. :D

And under it all, it's still an extremely heavy and utilitarian "truck" made to be extremely capable. I predict that the Macan will still be more pleasurable to drive, toss around, and feel as a drivers car.

·
Registered
602 Posts

So ordinary it became ..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can you please tell me what is so ordinary about X5? I don't get your point.
I don't know 'Gobbi' but I think it's safe to assume that he's commenting on just how ordinary the x5 looks now compared to what else is out there.... And I'd agree. Looks kinda like a bigger Highlander with expensive wheels at that angle.

With just about every brand producing an SUV these days, it must really challenge designers to set themselves apart. I can only imagine the meetings between the design teams and the production teams in regards to what looks cool and what's actually possible to mass produce.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't know 'Gobbi' but I think it's safe to assume that he's commenting on just how ordinary the x5 is now compared to what's out there.... And I'd agree. Looks kinda like a bigger Highlander with expensive wheels at that angle.

With just about every brand producing an SUV these days, it must really challenge designers to set themselves apart. I can only imagine the meetings between the design teams and the production teams in regards to what looks cool and what's actually possible to mass produce.
I see your point but there is nothing that is ordinary about that vehicle IMO. The one on the picture is a plug in hydird.
Yes it is a challenge to come up with a unique design. Once you come up with one, you need to convince people to buy one.

The newer X5 looks pretty good. I understand that this is P forum but I personally don't like when people take cheap shots at other manufacturers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I see your point but there is nothing that is ordinary about that vehicle IMO. The one on the picture is a plug in hydird.
Yes it is a challenge to come up with a unique design. Once you come up with one, you need to convince people to buy one.

The newer X5 looks pretty good. I understand that this is P forum but I personally don't like when people take cheap shots at other manufacturers.
I just slightly edited my post to say that it looks like a bigger Highlander (again, IMHO), although I'm sure the driving characteristics are night & day. I don't think he's taking a shot at BMW (I'm not). I've been through the performance versions of the recent German varieties and while the GTS is lower horsepower (significantly), I absolutely fell in love with the PDK, which lead me to the buying decision after driving my Cayman S for a few months.. It just somehow knows what gear I want to be in... all the time.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Yeah, not being cheap shooting at all. I just watched a video of X5 presentation yesterday and a lot of BMW afficionados are not happy with how the back 2/3 of a car looks now from exterior design perspective. They are singing 'lost the soul' and 'could not recognize it's an X5' songs. So yeah, I was referring to the looks. I understand it's a challenge to reinvent the miracles each time, I guess people got into give us more aggression design.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not read all the posts here so if I’m OT, sorry.

In 2011 I leased a X5. Nice seats, same old boring dashboard.

Super smooth and somewhat powerful NA 6 cylinder. Owned a 330xi years before and never had a complaint about the engine. For that matter, their steptronic tranny was the essence of smooth. Nothing to complain about there either. The iDrive system was in its infancy and has greatly improved. I still prefer buttons.

If you want a competent, secure vehicle, you could do a lot worse than an X5.

So why was I bored to tears with it and couldn’t wait till the lease was up? And it was the last time I leased.

Hard to put my finger on it. But I can tell you that size aside, the Macan is better in every way, more thrilling, more involving, just the complete package.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Super smooth and somewhat powerful NA 6 cylinder. Owned a 330xi years before and never had a complaint about the engine. For that matter, their steptronic tranny was the essence of smooth. Nothing to complain about there either. The iDrive system was in its infancy and has greatly improved. I still prefer buttons.

So why was I bored to tears with it and couldn’t wait till the lease was up? And it was the last time I leased.

Hard to put my finger on it. But I can tell you that size aside, the Macan is better in every way, more thrilling, more involving, just the complete package.
and you will be first to pull the trigger on Performance pinnacle Cayenne Coupe here on the forum! mark my words...

·
Registered
257 Posts

I don't know if BMW makes an M-Sport version (not M version) of X5, but I had extented test of the new X3 M40i, I'd say it would take a base Macan GTS to match the driving fun of an X3 M40i loaded with the M performance bits. A base Macan S is no match to a base X3 M40i.

But a Macan S with PASM and AS, maybe throw in the PSE also, would win over the above mentioned X3 M40i, because of the brand name and exterior style, driving dynamics being equal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't know if BMW makes an M-Sport version (not M version) of X5, but I had extented test of the new X3 M40i, I'd say it would take a base Macan GTS to match the driving fun of an X3 M40i loaded with the M performance bits. A base Macan S is no match to a base X3 M40i.

But a Macan S with PASM and AS, maybe throw in the PSE also, would win over the above mentioned X3 M40i, because of the brand name and exterior style, driving dynamics being equal.
You have to do +++ to a base Macan or a S to match the M40i. At that point it is not a true comparison.
The true comparison will be with the X3M. Rumored has it that it will be released in 2019. They are already testing it in the ring.

·
Registered
257 Posts

You have to do +++ to a base Macan or a S to match the M40i. At that point it is not a true comparison.
The true comparison will be with the X3M. Rumored has it that it will be released in 2019. They are already testing it in the ring.
The true M version of the X3 should be compared to the top Macan model, the Turbo PP. After the 2019 power bump, the Macan Turbo PP might have a chance. With the 2.9L engine, it will be the lightest among the top dogs.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I always have the feeling that Porsche is slow in the power race.

Do they think their brand name alone is worth extra 100 hp? Maybe in the old days but not in today’s fast changing world. They need to catch up as the competition gets ever more fierce.

I am going to jump ship if Porsche still make their 2.0T with less than 300 hp, while MB got over 300 hp from the little 2.0T many years ago. And now my 3.0T only cranks out pitiful 340 hp. Lame indeed.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
I always have the feeling that Porsche is slow in the power race.
It simply cost more to have the faster Porsche. Even when that car loses to a competitor it's short lived . A redesign or refresh usually puts Porsche back on top.
Look whose number 1 at the ring (Gt2Rs ) .

What one is paying for in the "slower" Porsche is the refinement . Haven't you ever been fascinated by the swiss army knife in how it's so simple in design yet functional? Or why an Adidas Superstar Basketball shoe is decades old and still sold ? What characteristics of an item make it classic ? Porsche knows . That's why even the "slower" car guy will say "well it's a Porsche".

As for racing or winning .. if one loses today .. he might have to wait for a refresh or spend more or both. But the point is he standsa good chance of winning with a Porsche and even if he loses he is still a winner.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I guess that’s where Cobb comes in handy.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts