Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pricing out the macan it's getting pretty close to a m sport premium package 35d in canada .

Bmw has offered some serious discount and the price difference is only a few thousand. What would you do?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pricing out the macan it's getting pretty close to a m sport premium package 35d in canada .

Bmw has offered some serious discount and the price difference is only a few thousand.
Yep same here in Oz - the new M-Sport with all the right options is priced pretty close to the S diesel spec I had put a deposit on.

What would you do?
I upgraded my order to the Turbo to get out of the pricing zone... :)

Seriously though we're getting away from an X5 - too big for our needs currently and quite looking forward to the 'fast estate' proposition of the Macan. If however you need the extra space the X5 is probably the pick of the full size German SUVs for value for money. Comes down to how much space do you need?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The serious price discounts is a tuff battle to overcome. The Porsche pricing model of low msrp but without necessary options included, and no discount doesn't work well in my brain.

If the macan build (options included as standard) was equal msrp price to the BMW deal, and you were able to negotiate the 2k off, would it be an easier situation?

In any case, I'd pick the macan, unless you really need the extra space that the BMW bring you.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
size wise, the x5 is not comparable to the Macan. Like Lou says, if you need the room, then go for the x5.

As for discount, the markup for the x5 is 9% in Canada and if you can get like 7% off + any factory credit allowance, then the total discount does look pretty attractive, given the Macan has no discount to speak of at all.

I test drove the X5 50 a couple months back, basically loaded except I am now BMW 'tired' and wants to switch brand and experience other brands to see what they are all about.

·
Registered
887 Posts
We have an E70 X5 35i as wife's/family car. Our Macan S will actually be significantly more than what we paid for the X5 a few years ago. Obviously the X5 is much more spacious - we actually do use the third row occasionally. The X5 can also be driven pretty quickly, but when pushing it I alway feel that, really, I shouldn't be doing this (my wife feels the same >:D). I expect the Macan to be somewhat more "cozy", just as comfortable (AS vs steel+run flats), a little faster and a lot more eager to play, and not quite as excessively big for a solo driver.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
So due to the confusion in my brain about my planned configuration falling apart, I went and looked at a few other vehicles. One of the was a 2014 BMW X5 50i. I know they are not exactly competitive models. But my configurations would price out the same MSRP.

Keep in mind that it's only the wife and I. We don't need the size of the X5. But it looks a mile better than the X3, and the better interior "stuff" isn't available in the X3.

Things I really liked:
1. The main screen-10.2" of magic. Looks fantastic.
2. NAVI-A million miles ahead of the Macan
3. Backup/Surround Cameras-Now I see why people complain about the Macan camera. This one is **** near a little window to outside. It's crystal clear.
4. Mocha Design interior-Almost as nice as the Full Red in the Macan
5. B&O upgraded stereo-Sounded fanstasic. Sounds just as good as the Burmester in the Cayenne I listened to. So should be comparable to the Macan version.
Price-While the MSRPs are the same, the discounts I can get on the BMW really change what I can get it for.

Things I didn't like:
1. Gas mileage-Worse than the Macan, which is already bad enough. Need the 50i to have comparable performance. 35i not really competitive. I currently have a XC60, which is rated 17/23MPG. Due to Hawaii traffic, I average 13.5 or so. Worried that the 50i would actually be less than 10 in the same traffic.
2. Prestige-Not to sound like an ass, but in my mind Porsche is a level above BMW. At the same price, Porsche seems like the better choice
3. Looks-Honestly the X5 looks great, but it doesn't look any different than the millions of other X5s on the road, 50i looks just like 35i/d with MSport package.
4. Handling-The one I drove had ALL the suspension goodies, but not sure how it really compares. The "Comfort" setting still seemed harsher than PASM/AS in Comfort. And I didn't get to really throw it into any serious turns, so not sure how close it is to the Macan. But really, I rarely drive in such a way that it would actually matter...

So I am curious, since I know a lot of people here have X5s, what are your thoughts? Not sure anyone here has a 2014 model though...

ANY comments are welcomed. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
x5 50 resale value down the road will not bad (TT v8). If you want to go X5, then 35 is a better value and you save a few $ for gas and resale value later on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Things I didn't like:
1. Gas mileage-Worse than the Macan, which is already bad enough. Need the 50i to have comparable performance.

4. Handling-The one I drove had ALL the suspension goodies, but not sure how it really compares. The "Comfort" setting still seemed harsher than PASM/AS in Comfort. And I didn't get to really throw it into any serious turns, so not sure how close it is to the Macan. But really, I rarely drive in such a way that it would actually matter...

ANY comments are welcomed. Thank you!
RJ, I drove a 2014 X5 50i reasonably hard before I put my money down on a Macan Turbo. I agree with your assessment. Even with the 50i, the X5 just doesn't match the feel of acceleration in the Macan Turbo. The handling of the X5 while good for it's size, still felt truck like and ponderous. It didn't have the agility and connection that you feel in the Macan. I think Lou probably said it best. If you need the space, the X5 is bigger. However that space comes at the cost of driving satisfaction, in my mind. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
We don't need the size of the X5. But it looks a mile better than the X3, and the better interior "stuff" isn't available in the X3.
^^^^ This is what drives me nuts... I initially considered mainly BMW. I would have preferred X3 size, but the interior when compared to X5 is pathetic not to talk about options BMW reserves for 5/X5 + vehicles like multi-contour seats...

X5 drives like a truck... You never even for a moment get the feeling you are driving something nimble...

With Macan, if not always, but occasionally during my test drive, I forget it is an SUV (I would not dare call it a truck :D )... Therein lies the reason I went for Macan...

Good luck with your decision...

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
RJ, I drove a 2014 X5 50i reasonably hard before I put my money down on a Macan Turbo. I agree with your assessment. Even with the 50i, the X5 just doesn't match the feel of acceleration in the Macan Turbo. The handling of the X5 while good for it's size, still felt truck like and ponderous. It didn't have the agility and connection that you feel in the Macan. I think Lou probably said it best. If you need the space, the X5 is bigger. However that space comes at the cost of driving satisfaction, in my mind. Cheers!
@jscown Yeah, I think the Porsche pulls at the heart more. But I am a techie, and the tech stuff is so much better. The fact that I really won't be able to drive it like I should drive a Porsche makes me ponder what is the right decision... I will need to think about this more. Until now, the only vehicles I was considering was the Evoque Autobiography Dynamic (tired of waiting for details) and the Maserati Ghibli SQ4. (I know, completely different...)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@jscown Yeah, I think the Porsche pulls at the heart more. But I am a techie, and the tech stuff is so much better. The fact that I really won't be able to drive it like I should drive a Porsche makes me ponder what is the right decision... I will need to think about this more. Until now, the only vehicles I was considering was the Evoque Autobiography Dynamic (tired of waiting for details) and the Maserati Ghibli SQ4. (I know, completely different...)
If you really would consider a X5 5.0, my friend has a Cayenne GTS and that thing is a beast. If it was me I'd do a modestly equipped GTS over the X5 5.0 everytime.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you really would consider a X5 5.0, my friend has a Cayenne GTS and that thing is a beast. If it was me I'd do a modestly equipped GTS over the X5 5.0 everytime.
Exactly.

Not sure why the comparison between X5 and Macan. Should be X3 vs. Macan at which point in time there is no contest. X5 is the same size/class as the Cayenne.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Exactly.

Not sure why the comparison between X5 and Macan. Should be X3 vs. Macan at which point in time there is no contest. X5 is the same size/class as the Cayenne.
@Rolltide86 Well as I said, I don't like the look of the X3, can't get the big engine, and can't get the full leather interior, etc...

While the size isn't the same, my builds price out within $2k of each other, with the X5 lower. That is before the discounted pricing available on the X5, which makes it look like a steal.

@Buckfever A Cayenne GTS optioned with what I want is out of my price range. Plus I don't like the look of it, and it doesn't handle like the Macan.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What does the new RR Sport go for over there? I have read that the new sport is actually much 'sportier' having shed upwards of 400kgs on some models. Have you looked at it?

Apologies if you have and already ruled it out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have never been there, but from looking at the globe I feel an X5 would be too big for Hawaii. The Macan will be better for maneuvering, in the forward direction at least.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ha - I received delivery of the Macan S on the Wednesday and my wife received her new X5 3.5 idrive on the Friday. With options and add ons the price between the two was within $1,000. Her X5 is our main family car and the Macan is my daily driver. Two cars for different uses. I agree you have to compare the X5 to the Cayenne

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tough decision given the different items you seem to weighing here.

I am coming from an 13 X5D which replaced an 12 S4. I owned both for 18 months. I loved the S4 but it was too small for my needs so I traded for an X5. The S4 was the funnest car I ever drove/owned and the X5 is truly the most boring thing I have ever driven. The tech in both those was about the same with a nod to Audi on the interface. I did go look at the 14 X5s and it is much improved in terms of interior fit and finish as well as tech. And I did consider it for a while until I drove the Macan. To me sacrificing some tech doodads for the smile I get driving the Porsche is well worth it. The main tech I use is Bluetooth for music and phone. The Macan does both. The rest is fluff IMO.

At the end I chose the driving performance + smile on my face/less tech of the Porsche over the truck like drive/more tech of the BMW.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
What does the new RR Sport go for over there? I have read that the new sport is actually much 'sportier' having shed upwards of 400kgs on some models. Have you looked at it?

Apologies if you have and already ruled it out.
@kendoll Actually, this process for me started at the Evoque, but couldn't get the options I wanted together (Oxford leather and adaptive suspension). I did check out the RRS too, but our dealer charges $25K !!! on top of whatever the MSRP is, plus $3888 of BS crap for even more profit. That just prices it out to insanity... They have a RRS at ~$73K on the lot right now. So they are adding almost 50% of pure BS dealer markup. I'll pass on that. In fact, if I find the time, I plan to send a letter to LR complaining of this practice, and make sure they undertand it cost them at least one sale to a competitor.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts