Porsche Macan Forum banner

Macan T or wait for E Macan

EV 
18K views 134 replies 42 participants last post by  Steve100 
#1 ·
New member here. Long time Porsche owner. Just ordered a new T for delivery in October. Wondering now if I should have waited for the E Macan in 2023.

#2 ·
Four pop Macan versus Electric? I would wait on the EV. But you may have quite a wait.

#4 ·
I personally think the Macan EV will be priced closer to a Taycan or even upwards of a Audi ETron. I could see the EV being the new “Macan Turbo” and therefore would cost more then the new GTS. All speculation on my part but they already have EVs under the brand which cost much more then a Base or Macan T for that matter. Comparisons is all I have for now.

#6 ·
hey, I’m the same … been wanting to drive Macan EV but think 1/ it’ll not be available till 2024 or later 2/ it will be as expensive as Taycan 3/ it may be too early to spend so much on electric tech when it’s evolving so much (although I’ve owned the Mini EV for more than a year now) ….. the net result for me is I ordered Macan T last week, the delivery not earlier than March 2023

#7 ·
Agreed.
The first Macan EV will be the expensive range topper and nowhere near the price of a T.
I had the same thoughts. However the availability of the T (even over an S or GTS) means I'm now actually driving one and have no regrets.
Get the T and put your order in for the reasonably priced EV. You'll be enjoying your T for a good couple of years.
I'm thinking of doing just that.

#9 ·
Aside from the platform and both being CUVs, the two will have nearly nothing in common. Especially not the price. Get the T now and trade in the T if you still decide you want the EV whenever that becomes available.

Reactions: vanmacandriver
#10 ·
Welcome to the forum. To me, it's a very simple question. Whenever the Macan E comes out, it will most likely start at around $10K over the Audi e-tron ($87K CAD). So do you want a Porsche Macan T in October '23 at $66.2K CAD or help Porsche beta-test an all-new Macan E platform at $97K CAD in a year or two. To me, it's a no-brainer, order a T now, and if you decide to get the E when it's out, trade up.

#16 ·
Is pricing here all just speculation?

The current porsche macan starts at 60k CAD MSRP.

Considering the macan is the top selling vehicle - why would Porsche price themselves out of their niche at 97K - especially if they are phasing out the ICE version.

My bet is 5 to 6k above current msrps? Or am I off the mark here.

#11 ·
I also think you have to ask yourself the technology question: would you prefer an ICE Macan over an EV, regardless of when it's available or what the price will be. For us, we are grabbing a 2022 GTS (should be delivered by the end of June) as we didn't know how long the ICE version would be available in reasonable numbers with EV around the corner. We don't want to get anywhere near EV yet. As one person mentioned, the technology is not mature yet, and in a vehicle like the Macan that is built for long distance vacation tripping, we don't want to be a prisoner of charging availability in remote areas of the country.

And I know I am old school, but I just like the feel/sound of an ICE engine, shifting gears (we will drive our GTS only in manual mode), etc. I am sure the younger folks coming up will flock to EV's and adapt very easily and quickly to that technology as they have not had decades of driving ICE cars behind them-----us older folks don't like change you know :)

#12 ·
I also think you have to ask yourself the technology question: would you prefer an ICE Macan over an EV, regardless of when it's available or what the price will be. For us, we are grabbing a 2022 GTS (should be delivered by the end of June) as we didn't know how long the ICE version would be available in reasonable numbers with EV around the corner. We don't want to get anywhere near EV yet. As one person mentioned, the technology is not mature yet, and in a vehicle like the Macan that is built for long distance vacation tripping, we don't want to be a prisoner of charging availability in remote areas of the country.

And I know I am old school, but I just like the feel/sound of an ICE engine, shifting gears (we will drive our GTS only in manual mode), etc. I am sure the younger folks coming up will flock to EV's and adapt very easily and quickly to that technology as they have not had decades of driving ICE cars behind them-----us older folks don't like change you know :)
I still have several FOBs for the "Manual Gearbox Preservation Society" so I agree with you. It will be hard to give up ICE vehicles, though I have looked at some before committing to the GTS. Living in the southwest where the population is (at least around me) fairly sparse, and the distances are very long compared to say the East Coast, EVs just are not yet practical because of the range and the amount of time it takes to charge with our available infrastructure.

#21 ·
If it was any other manufacturer, I would say they could maybe, just maybe surprise us and release a low performance, cheaper RWD model but this is Porsche, part of VAG and that's what they have Audi and VW for.

Reactions: lyricgskills
#28 ·
I was seriously considering the Macan EV but just read that that 70% of the Taycans are having battery issues. Porsche has been hush hush about it, which does not surprise me. I am going wait until all of the kinks are worked out because like all new Porsche there are issues, I leaned that the hard when when I got my 2011 cayenne which was the first year of the complete redesign.

#29 ·
True. It’s not just Porsche btw, every all-new re-design got issues and it takes manufacturers 1-2 years to work out the kinks. EVs are different, less complex, software plays a larger role but yet, I don’t want to be an early adopter.

#33 ·
Taycan owners absolutely love their cars despite it being a first gen product.

Based on that and the range estimates (300+ with ultra fast charging), Macan EV is going to be the superior vehicle. Electric acceleration is addictive. We’ll also save on brakes, maintenance, and fueling.

That said, we’re probably years away from deliveries.

#38 ·
Isn't the e-tron SUV already $65k before tax credits?
The OP is Canadian, so I've used Canadian prices. I just made a quick comparison, so the premium for EV in Canada seems higher because the Canadian Macan is cheaper than the US Macan. It will be interesting to see how Porsche will price the EV Macan in Canada.

US:
Base Macan $57.5K
Audi e-Tron $65.9K (14.6% premium)
Canada:
Base Macan $60.8K
Audi e-Tron: $86.9K (42.9% premium)

Reactions: BlueBomber
#81 · (Edited)
The Macan EV is going to cost about $40,000 more than the Tesla Y and does not be sound to be as near as fast, I have a buddy who drives a Y and the thing is blistering fast. At 70k $$$ money wise the Tesla Y is away better buy, and yes I have a Macan s and am on my second one so I love the car. Funny thing was I was just talking to my buddy who has the Y and he was interested in the Macan EV u til he found out it was going cost about $110,000 and that is not loaded like his y is with every feature which he paid $70k for. I am also pretty sure Porsche dealers will make the Macan EV up and extra $30,000 just because they can.

#45 ·
I suspect you will have to get in line and wait for delivery in the second quarter of 2024. expect pricing to be north of 100 grand to start. It’s very difficult to find a Macan GTS to test drive I bet finding a Macan ev to test drive will be very difficult unless you are a current Porsche customer.

#51 ·
I heard this is to be $100,000 car from the sales manger at the dealer, no where near the Macan T money.

Reactions: John2716
#57 ·
See I got alot on here defensive about their 4 cylinder purchase 😂

if it makes you happy, all good. Not for me, but doesn’t mean it’s not for you.

• Wow
Reactions: TJMacan
#67 ·
The Macan EV will be introduced in the top trim version slotting as the replacement Macan Turbo which Porsche made room for after dropping the ICE Macan Turbo a couple of years ago. Expect it to be a +$110K car for the early adopters. Any ideas that the Macan EV will diminish the values of ICE Macans should be cast away. Follow the path of the Taycan to see. Maybe in certain pockets of the US where people clamor for and have the money for luxury EVs will ICE Macan demand drop off slightly but the large majority of the US still rely on and prefer ICE vehicles for many years to come and used cars are no longer a regional good, they are easily sold all around the country.

Reactions: HooosierDaddy
#68 ·
My sales SA was pretty sure that Porsche will replace ICE Macan with EV. I brought doubt to him as well, how would porsche decide to drop the best selling vehicle that easy, actually the manager said Porsche want to sell EV, not ICE, so there won't be no many years, they sell both together.

#70 ·
Both The macan EV and The macan ICE will be sold at the same time. The Macan EV is going to be a 2025 car and as op said it will be high end to complete with the Taycan. 2023 is not going to be the last ICE Macan so for anybody thinking the Macan is going to increase in value is wrong, the Macan is not a Urus and will never have that status or even 911 status or even a collector item at that. In my opinion a lease is never a good deal especially with Porsche unless it is a business company car and can used as write off expense.

#71 ·
I know this started as a 'buy or lease' thread, but now it has become a 'hybrid' with EV vs ICE (ha ha, see what I did there @grim ?). So two answers: First, buy, don't lease unless Porsche introduces a drop-dead gorgeous lease rate which is unlikely.
Second, earlier this month, Dr. Michael Steiner, head of Porsche Engineering, stated "For some years there will be an ICE Macan in parallel with a fully electric Macan".

#75 ·
Back to OP's question, leasing could be useful if you can write off every penny on your cooperation tax return if you running a business so your Schedule K will be lowered. Personal lease of porsche vehicle, I have no idea but seems like everyone here agrees that porsche is known for crappy leasing contract. It doesn't matter whether you figure our MF, just have every number on the table, and see how much total amount you need to be committed for the period of leasing + any upfront fees, and see how much you need to come up with at the end of lease to buy out the vehicle. Add them all together and see how much it would cost you total vs buying it with cash right now vs finance it. If the gap you can tolerate, then lease may be better choice because it would significantly lower the monthly payments.

#76 ·
And for EV? I wouldn't even consider buy any EV right now or even any near future UNTIL, SOLID STATE BATTERY become a reality. In any case, if you involved in heavy accident in EV, if any chance it caught on fire, you are just dead. I don't care how fast and awesome the driving will be, I don't care how much money I can save from no gas fueling, regardless all the safety features, it is still too much speculative with the safety of lithium ion battery. We all are still early adaptors for EV market, and don't bet your life on it LOL

#77 ·
Good arguments. I’ve exposed my wifey to these dangers in her Mini EV 😂 and we both enjoy this little electric car … I am tempted by the first gen Macan EV but your arguments are convincing. We just don’t know how far away the solid state batteries are.

#79 ·
On topic - first year EV I’d consider lease. ICE macan I’d buy. If you want to be early adopter of the incoming Porsche EV platform, I’d get on it. Other than that I’d go for the ICE vehicle until some of the quirks are fixed and the non Tesla charger network is more robust. Tesla is winning because of the network! It’s been announced that eventually Tesla will open its chargers to all ev’s. That will be a game changer!

Off topic - ev fires or ICE fires… they both happen. There was recently a model Y or 3 that was intentionally driven off a cliff in an attempt to end it for the driver and family (sick MF’er). OFF A CLIFF!!!

All survived, he’s arrested and the car didn’t catch fire.