Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Macan S that sometimes won't shift up and revs really high after coming from a full stop. It happens 1-2 times a month. The rpm will stay over 3 and I've tried to push through it but it just climbs past 4 and I don't want to damage the car. So I have to pull over and brake to a full stop to get the car working again. I think it occurs from either shifting gear 2-3 or 3-4 but I'm panicking trying to get over safely to really know for sure.

Any ideas what this is? The car has 3k miles and it's 2019. It happens infrequently enough that I think the dealer wouldn't catch it unless I dropped it off for a month but often enough that it's a real problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you sure you’re not accidentally putting the PDK gear box in manual mode by accidentally pushing or pulling the gear lever to the left. This will put the trans in manual mode and you will need to physically up shift by hitting the paddle shifter or by upshifting with the gear lever.

Next time it happens you can try a few things to see exactly what’s going on :

start by backing off the gas if its safe to do so.

glance at the instrument panel and you will see what gear you are in - blue arrow in my photo.

Also, while glancing at the instrument panel you may see an LED lit up ( red circle in photo ). If that LED is lit you’re in manual mode. You can just push the gear lever over towards the right to go back to automatic mode.

Or simply try up shifting with the the paddle shifter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure I'm not putting in manual mode. My center console is completely empty. Nothing would knock it left. But I'll definitely keep my eye out for the led next time. Also my previous car required more than just braking to get it out of manual mode. Is the macan different? I'm only coming to a stop, not putting the car in park, and the car will recover.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Check the manual. I sometimes use manual mode for engine breaking getting off an interstate. After I've come to a stop, the car automatically cancels manual mode and resumes in auto mode. If I recall correctly, if you don't do something within x seconds, the car returns to auto shifting.

·
Registered
252 Posts
another thought, when this occurs is the car COLD. The trans sometimes holds shifts longer to speed warmup?
Got to be a way to reset PDK for learning, anyone?

·
Registered
252 Posts
also, don t panic, you will NOT hurt the car at 4-5K RPMs. If I was testing it, I d nail the gas when it does that and see when it shifts. It may shift sooner. These PDK operate much better when driven hard.

·
Registered
252 Posts
and here s another re set that worked in the past on my 911. I think this re set throttle position . I ran thru it on the Macan, not sure if it works on that.

key in position 1 (all lights on in dash, not starting car)for 60 seconds, off 5 seconds, back to 1 for 15 seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This post sounds like a similar issue I had. See here.

I’ve adapted to the way the Macan drives and if the transmission doesn’t shift up, I would press the right shift lever to switch to the higher gear. With that said, while on Sport and Sport plus mode the gears stay longer on the lower gears before shifting up, and while on Normal mode it shifts gears smoothly. It might be that the car is not broken in yet. Now that I’ve had the car for more than four months and is now broken in with over 4500 miles, the issue is gone while on Normal mode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Macan S that sometimes won't shift up and revs really high after coming from a full stop. It happens 1-2 times a month. The rpm will stay over 3 and I've tried to push through it but it just climbs past 4 and I don't want to damage the car. So I have to pull over and brake to a full stop to get the car working again. I think it occurs from either shifting gear 2-3 or 3-4 but I'm panicking trying to get over safely to really know for sure.

Any ideas what this is? The car has 3k miles and it's 2019. It happens infrequently enough that I think the dealer wouldn't catch it unless I dropped it off for a month but often enough that it's a real problem.
I’ve noticed the same driving my new 2020 Macan S (4K miles).... I’ve also accidentally bumped shifter into manual mode too. Good to hear that won’t damage the transmission! I’ve altered my driving style in sport mode letting it shift to 2nd gear at low RPM before pushing acceleration. I will try a reset to see what effect that has. I’ve not seen many “outcomes” of suggested resets but will post any noticeable changes I experience. On balance I LOVE the car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts