Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 2018 Macan GTS with all the power train toys. I had to buy it to really get a good test drive out of it, and a better understanding of what it is. It’s not your Shelby, where I picture you as Toby Marshall driving lights out in Detroit. It’s just a compact SUV with a 911 intent stuffed under the body.

It weighs in at 4178 Lbs, tries to save weight with aluminum hood, but has about 400 Lbs of wheels, tires, rotors, calipers. All aluminum engine, V6 twin turbo. Mine has 3 personalities, economy, sport and sport plus. Economy keeps me from getting tickets. It drives slow and smooth. Sport keeps the turbos from lagging and drives more Porsche. Sport Plus will drain your gas tank at 7 MPG. 3 sets of software or 3 different personalities at the touch of a button. Everything is electronic, so the gas pedal changes, fuel maps, transmission shifting, turbo spooling, where the turbos are lag less, and suspension tuning just like your Shelby. Plus the steering stiffens up as well. and you can do this on the fly while driving.

In sport plus late at night on empty roads and you'll forget your driving a compact SUV. The thought won’t even occur to you.

the 2021 model has reveres intake and exhaust. Normally in a V engine the intake is in the middle. This time the exhaust is in the middle to reduce the distance to the turbos to prevent turbo lag. Intakes are on the outside.

You can search you tube for Macan GTS Nuremberg and watch these cars keep up with the latest 911 models on the track. The Smoking Tire video made
Me want to order a 2022, it was pretty convincing, and yes that wasn’t fake, it was the real deal.

the GTS to most car reviews is a head scratcher, wher the review doesn’t understand why people buy these cars. Why not get 2 cheaper cars? Why not buy a 2022 Kia stinger GT2 for $55K.

I like my car. I think it’s a more mature car for me, over a Honda type R, or a WRX STI. But it’s not your Shelby. A car that I respect.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am considering the Macan GTS (2022). I am currently driving a loaner (2021 Macan S) as my 991.2 GT3RS is in service and I am rather underwhelmed. My current daily driver is a shelby GT350 that has over 72,000 miles on the clock. Its around 560 hp and weight is little under 3700 lbs (I have some mods). I understand no SUV will match the performance of this car and maybe I am really spoiled but the time has come that I can no longer make it work with the GT350 and I need a bigger car for the family.

Basically, I need to figure out how much better the GTS is vs the S and whether I have unrealistic expectations. I watch all these review videos (including the TheSmokingTire review) and they make this car appear amazing - which may be it is, but I dont know how much better it is than the Macan S I am driving. Here are my concerns, impressions:

• Power : Very very underwhelming. This car has 362 hp and I know the new GTS will have 80 hp more but the speed sort of dies off past 65 mph.
  • Turbo lag : Tremendous turbo lag, I can count "one mississippi, two mississippi" before hitting the gas pedal and the car really start taking off.
  • Transmission : It is not like the PDK in my RS! Its like a completely different transmission. It holds the gears too long or does not downshift quickly. Its really clunky and guesses. In manual mode, the upshifts are really too soft (The ZF8 in the BMW M5 is much harsher upshifts for example), downshifts are too mild
  • Wind noise : Tremendous wind noise at 75 mph and gets progressively worse. You cant drive this car at 95 mph for example for several minutes.
  • Suspension : This car does not have the air suspension and I know that helps but it rides like a brick on wheels. Too stiff and damping is really poor. Too much body roll.
  • Sound : I cannot hear the engine! I actually at first thought this car has 2 liter 4 cylinder engine due to how quite it was. It does not have the support exhaust button but upon close inspection, I do see an exhaust valve in the muffler that opens up.
  • Steering: Too vague, too imprecise. Too much slack when its at 12 o'clock. It doesnt have that Porsche magic (that I have on my RS).

All driving above was done with "Sport" mode on.

Now, given above, how much better is going to be GTS? Is it like a completely different car? The GTS I have built is 104k MSRP with every driveterrain option and decent amount of other things like burmeister. The loaner I have is 73k MSRP with no driveterrain options. I understand GTS has different tuning for steering, suspension, new one has more power, and has the sport exhaust but I am really worried the sound of the engine is going to be a total let down. It does not sound like BMW's Inline 6 for example. Both are turbo charged 6 cylinders but this one is just too quiet.

My other option is to spend another 35k and get a Cayenne GTS. It does sound better but I'm not sure if driving dynamics will be acceptable.

Thank you
2018 was last of the S that drove with amazing power and sound .

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
I have a 2018 Macan GTS with all the power train toys. I had to buy it to really get a good test drive out of it, and a better understanding of what it is. It’s not your Shelby, where I picture you as Toby Marshall driving lights out in Detroit. It’s just a compact SUV with a 911 intent stuffed under the body.

It weighs in at 5400 Lbs, tries to save weight with aluminum hood, but has about 400 Lbs of wheels, tires, rotors, calipers. All aluminum engine, V6 twin turbo. Mine has 3 personalities, economy, sport and sport plus. Economy keeps me from getting tickets. It drives slow and smooth. Sport keeps the turbos from lagging and drives more Porsche. Sport Plus will drain your gas tank at 7 MPG. 3 sets of software or 3 different personalities at the touch of a button. Everything is electronic, so the gas pedal changes, fuel maps, transmission shifting, turbo spooling, where the turbos are lag less, and suspension tuning just like your Shelby. Plus the steering stiffens up as well. and you can do this on the fly while driving.

In sport plus late at night on empty roads and you'll forget your driving a compact SUV. The thought won’t even occur to you.

the 2021 model has reveres intake and exhaust. Normally in a V engine the intake is in the middle. This time the exhaust is in the middle to reduce the distance to the turbos to prevent turbo lag. Intakes are on the outside.

You can search you tube for Macan GTS Nuremberg and watch these cars keep up with the latest 911 models on the track. The Smoking Tire video made
Me want to order a 2022, it was pretty convincing, and yes that wasn’t fake, it was the real deal.

the GTS to most car reviews is a head scratcher, wher the review doesn’t understand why people buy these cars. Why not get 2 cheaper cars? Why not buy a 2022 Kia stinger GT2 for $55K.

I like my car. I think it’s a more mature car for me, over a Honda type R, or a WRX STI. But it’s not your Shelby. A car that I respect.
I checked the weight and it is 4,178 lbs .

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was simply stating that different trims of the same model (911) is vastly different as far as driving experience - point being, could the same apply in this case between S and GTS where GTS being more precise, livelier, louder, better handling, etc.
yes

it shines when the operating temps satisfy the computer. With 9 liters of oil, you have to get all the components up to temp. Thats why test drives give you a bad experience.

·
Premium Member
2020 Macan GTS
82 Posts
I can't agree with any of the OP's complaints about the Macan, absolutely none, be it steering , wind noise, lag, etc., as if it was a completely different car. Also if he needs a car for hauling - torque converter transmissions are much better for that than double clutch transmissions.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just test drove like all modern small performance SUVs on the market. The only complain I have about the macan is that it doesn't go like X3M. Other than that it was always a pleasure to come back to from whatever I was test driving.

I didn't see any car with better insulation, so not sure where the noise complain is coming from. The steering is the best in class, IMHO, so that part is also not clear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, the steering is the last thing I'd change, given a magic screwdriver.

Maybe I'd do the Bill Harrah thing, and drop in a Ferrari V-12. 😛

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering the Macan GTS (2022). I am currently driving a loaner (2021 Macan S) as my 991.2 GT3RS is in service and I am rather underwhelmed. My current daily driver is a shelby GT350 that has over 72,000 miles on the clock. Its around 560 hp and weight is little under 3700 lbs (I have some mods). I understand no SUV will match the performance of this car and maybe I am really spoiled but the time has come that I can no longer make it work with the GT350 and I need a bigger car for the family.

Basically, I need to figure out how much better the GTS is vs the S and whether I have unrealistic expectations. I watch all these review videos (including the TheSmokingTire review) and they make this car appear amazing - which may be it is, but I dont know how much better it is than the Macan S I am driving. Here are my concerns, impressions:

• Power : Very very underwhelming. This car has 362 hp and I know the new GTS will have 80 hp more but the speed sort of dies off past 65 mph.
  • Turbo lag : Tremendous turbo lag, I can count "one mississippi, two mississippi" before hitting the gas pedal and the car really start taking off.
  • Transmission : It is not like the PDK in my RS! Its like a completely different transmission. It holds the gears too long or does not downshift quickly. Its really clunky and guesses. In manual mode, the upshifts are really too soft (The ZF8 in the BMW M5 is much harsher upshifts for example), downshifts are too mild
  • Wind noise : Tremendous wind noise at 75 mph and gets progressively worse. You cant drive this car at 95 mph for example for several minutes.
  • Suspension : This car does not have the air suspension and I know that helps but it rides like a brick on wheels. Too stiff and damping is really poor. Too much body roll.
  • Sound : I cannot hear the engine! I actually at first thought this car has 2 liter 4 cylinder engine due to how quite it was. It does not have the support exhaust button but upon close inspection, I do see an exhaust valve in the muffler that opens up.
  • Steering: Too vague, too imprecise. Too much slack when its at 12 o'clock. It doesnt have that Porsche magic (that I have on my RS).

All driving above was done with "Sport" mode on.

Now, given above, how much better is going to be GTS? Is it like a completely different car? The GTS I have built is 104k MSRP with every driveterrain option and decent amount of other things like burmeister. The loaner I have is 73k MSRP with no driveterrain options. I understand GTS has different tuning for steering, suspension, new one has more power, and has the sport exhaust but I am really worried the sound of the engine is going to be a total let down. It does not sound like BMW's Inline 6 for example. Both are turbo charged 6 cylinders but this one is just too quiet.

My other option is to spend another 35k and get a Cayenne GTS. It does sound better but I'm not sure if driving dynamics will be acceptable.

Thank you
Disagree all the way through.

It seems you have done little besides complain and rip a very good car to shreds. It doesn't sound like you will be happy with anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I am interested in the same question 2022s or GTS for my allocation when it becomes available.

I want the firmest sportiest ride possible (within the confines of an SUV weight and physics). How close do you guys think the new Macan S is in terms of spec on paper (with AS,PASM, Sports chrono - Not PTV+ since I don't plan to get it). to the previous Gen GTS with the same config. Is the previous GTS lower ride height than the current gen S. I know the new GTS is lower than the preivous turbo and probably lower than the Macan S as well but is that delta enough to feel in daily spirited driving. default 20s on the S and 21 of the GTS.

I am not interested in the power or high end speed characteristics. Where I live 1+ miles over 90mph can get you jail time. Also the bigger brakes on the new GTS scare me for the cost of replacement (I have since, read that you can replace them with steels rotors if needed) but then there is little point in the GTS. similarly configured cars for me right now are like 82K for Macan S with perf. options and 92K for GTS with identical spec minus bigger engine and more options being default (so better residual I guess)... Will the GTS sporty characteristic still come through better than the Macan S. Which of the two engine tunes have less lag?

Note: I was cross shopping for an M3 G80 but can't get past the front bumper look.I have a Honda S2000 as my weekend car. I am hoping to sell it if the Macan GTS or S can provide the basic sporty ride I need. My S2000 sits in the garage too much since I have started working from home permanently. I was considering a GTS 4.0 cayman or boxster (As I stated in my introduction thread) but the Macan feels like it is good enough. The questions is whether the $10K delta in GTS is worth it.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
1,018 Posts
So I am interested in the same question 2022s or GTS for my allocation when it becomes available.

I want the firmest sportiest ride possible (within the confines of an SUV weight and physics). How close do you guys think the new Macan S is in terms of spec on paper (with AS,PASM, Sports chrono - Not PTV+ since I don't plan to get it). to the previous Gen GTS with the same config. Is the previous GTS lower ride height than the current gen S. I know the new GTS is lower than the preivous turbo and probably lower than the Macan S as well but is that delta enough to feel in daily spirited driving. default 20s on the S and 21 of the GTS.

I am not interested in the power or high end speed characteristics. Where I live 1+ miles over 90mph can get you jail time. Also the bigger brakes on the new GTS scare me for the cost of replacement (I have since, read that you can replace them with steels rotors if needed) but then there is little point in the GTS. similarly configured cars for me right now are like 82K for Macan S with perf. options and 92K for GTS with identical spec minus bigger engine and more options being default (so better residual I guess)... Will the GTS sporty characteristic still come through better than the Macan S. Which of the two engine tunes have less lag?

Note: I was cross shopping for an M3 G80 but can't get past the front bumper look.I have a Honda S2000 as my weekend car. I am hoping to sell it if the Macan GTS or S can provide the basic sporty ride I need. My S2000 sits in the garage too much since I have started working from home permanently. I was considering a GTS 4.0 cayman or boxster (As I stated in my introduction thread) but the Macan feels like it is good enough. The questions is whether the $10K delta in GTS is worth it.
I haven't seen anything about them changing the ride height on the S, but I also haven't been shopping, so I easily could have missed it, but the lower standard height has always been a GTS thing (well, and Turbo PP). However if you have AS it's possible to change the ride height, either through reprogramming or a lowering module.

Best bet it to drive both and see where the pricing difference comes in. If you don't care about the GTS looks, brakes etc. it may well be better to go with the S for you.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Are you comparing spec for spec between them with the price disparity? You are going to want 21’s PASM and possibly sports exhaust on the S to meet your requirements. Your configurator is structured differently to ours but those alone put me in easy financial realms of the GTS plus you get other standard finishes of trims etc on the GTS included if you wanted them. The 10mm lowered setup is a big attractivion for me too

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
....The questions is whether the $10K delta in GTS is worth it.
The 2022 Macan GTS is essentially an S with an engine tune, sport exhaust, upgraded brakes (PSCB), partial leather interior, and a whole bunch of aesthetics (larger black wheels, sport design bumper / side skirts / diffuser / mirrors, black trim accents, etc). The GTS headlights also include PDLS, but the + is extra.

If you don't need the majority of those items, and your primary interest is handling, you can order a Macan S with air suspension and adjust the ride height to equal or better than the GTS using a lowering module, or PIWIS programming adjustment. Since you stated you want the firmest sportiest ride possible, you'd likely be lowering your car whether you got the S or GTS, as both cars benefit from lowering at least a inch below the standard GTS ride height.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts

No matter what one does to any variant it can not become the other variant . Your S can never be a GTS . Its even worse on the 911 forum where I have seen guys spend more than it would cost to make a 911S become a Gt3 and it never can be .

The original poster has a Gt3Rs . I don't even know why he cant separate the two cars in his mind.
I feel one of the biggest marketing success is that Porsche sales people imply that a Macan is a civilized persons 911 . It isn't . Its an SUV . It will always be an SUV .
All that AS, PASM, and etc do make a better driving SUV . 10K in Porsche money is pennies compared to just adding one component for the same 10K in 911 land . In Ferrari land it can cost 100K just for paint.
There comes a time too look ones self in the mirror and admit "I am a car guy. They are all expensive " . That will lead you to the one which is more than what you want to pay but not enough to leave you penniless . Although I have seen some cross the line into being broke.
The M3 is a great price value and is a fantastic car . I just cant handle the whale shark fascia .

I think I am different than most here . I like hanging out here because there are a tot of nice folks .
Most buy the Macan or even an M3 because they need something practical . I buy it because its for my wife who thinks like that too. I myself would rather crawl on the floor to have a 911 and struggle with space . A Gt3 would be the ideal one but I have to draw the line somewhere so I buy one of the 911 street variants .
I could never imagine coming to Porsche for a first car and buying an SUV when the car that gave them their fame was the 911 . If I could not afford one it would be a Cayman or Boxster.

The Op looked ate the wrong SUV . Porsche does have a Gt SUV (Cayenne Gt Coupe) . I think its ridiculous to spend 200K on an SUV but if I hit the poweball I'd mull it over.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Macan GTS in Gentian Blue
61 Posts
No matter what one does to any variant it can not become the other variant . Your S can never be a GTS . Its even worse on the 911 forum where I have seen guys spend more than it would cost to make a 911S become a Gt3 and it never can be .

The original poster has a Gt3Rs . I don't even know why he cant separate the two cars in his mind.
I feel one of the biggest marketing success is that Porsche sales people imply that a Macan is a civilized persons 911 . It isn't . Its an SUV . It will always be an SUV .
All that AS, PASM, and etc do make a better driving SUV . 10K in Porsche money is pennies compared to just adding one component for the same 10K in 911 land . In Ferrari land it can cost 100K just for paint.
There comes a time too look ones self in the mirror and admit "I am a car guy. They are all expensive " . That will lead you to the one which is more than what you want to pay but not enough to leave you penniless . Although I have seen some cross the line into being broke.
The M3 is a great price value and is a fantastic car . I just cant handle the whale shark fascia .

I think I am different than most here . I like hanging out here because there are a tot of nice folks .
Most buy the Macan or even an M3 because they need something practical . I buy it because its for my wife who thinks like that too. I myself would rather crawl on the floor to have a 911 and struggle with space . A Gt3 would be the ideal one but I have to draw the line somewhere so I buy one of the 911 street variants .
I could never imagine coming to Porsche for a first car and buying an SUV when the car that gave them their fame was the 911 . If I could not afford one it would be a Cayman or Boxster.

The Op looked ate the wrong SUV . Porsche does have a Gt SUV (Cayenne Gt Coupe) . I think its ridiculous to spend 200K on an SUV but if I hit the poweball I'd mull it over.
I will be buying my first Porsche and it won’t be a 911. I wish. But it isn’t practical for me in both a daily driver and the overall initial cost. However, I had the chance to do a track day with Porsche last year at Mid-Ohio driving 2 trims of the 911, Cayenne, a Macan S and the Taycan. Obviously the 911 was the real treat and didn’t disappoint. But the Macan blew me away. It’s not a 911, it’s an almost 2.5 ton vehicle but it was so much fun to drive. For where I am in the stage of my life a Macan makes way more sense than a 911. Someday that will change. Apples and oranges, I understand. But I never thought I’d buy a Macan as my first Porsche, yet here I am….

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I will be buying my first Porsche and it won’t be a 911. I wish. But it isn’t practical for me in both a daily driver and the overall initial cost. However, I had the chance to do a track day with Porsche last year at Mid-Ohio driving 2 trims of the 911, Cayenne, a Macan S and the Taycan. Obviously the 911 was the real treat and didn’t disappoint. But the Macan blew me away. It’s not a 911, it’s an almost 2.5 ton vehicle but it was so much fun to drive. For where I am in the stage of my life a Macan makes way more sense than a 911. Someday that will change. Apples and oranges, I understand. But I never thought I’d buy a Macan as my first Porsche, yet here I am….
There are some here who have jumped ship to a 911. Others have added a 911 . I started out with a 911 and did not buy my first SUV until I turned 50 for my wife. Even she had been in two M3's prior . The SUV clearly is a fantastic practical car but I am amazed at how much I can fit in a 911 or even a Boxster . Granted big items would have to go in a larger car but if its that much I might even rent a car rather than dirty the Macan . I lived many years with only a 911 at different ages from younger and married to older and divorced to older and remarried to older and divorced ,,.,, ha ha. and now remarried . No matter what stage I ever was I had to have a 911 . The longest I ever went was 18 months .. withdrawl was so bad I bought 2 of them.🤣

A Macan GTS is 90K . A stripped base 911 can go for 110-115. I would have to have it . I dont mind riding in someone else car or even renting a car or Uber (pre Covid) . There was a guy on a 911 forum who needed space and he lived in cold weather . He leased a Honda Civic just to get by to protect the 911 in tougher conditions or needs .

I like the Macan. I love the 911 . Whats even worse is I really want a Gt3 but could not imagine not driving a 911 EVERY day . Its the only material thing I ever owned that mattered to me . I am not a house guy . I never owned a boat or plane and wouldn't want one . I have wristwatches but they were my fathers and are just sentimental . I dont wear them . I use my iPhone. The 911 is king !!

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Macan GTS in Gentian Blue
61 Posts
There are some here who have jumped ship to a 911. Others have added a 911 . I started out with a 911 and did not buy my first SUV until I turned 50 for my wife. Even she had been in two M3's prior . The SUV clearly is a fantastic practical car but I am amazed at how much I can fit in a 911 or even a Boxster . Granted big items would have to go in a larger car but if its that much I might even rent a car rather than dirty the Macan . I lived many years with only a 911 at different ages from younger and married to older and divorced to older and remarried to older and divorced ,,.,, ha ha. and now remarried . No matter what stage I ever was I had to have a 911 . The longest I ever went was 18 months .. withdrawl was so bad I bought 2 of them.🤣

A Macan GTS is 90K . A stripped base 911 can go for 110-115. I would have to have it . I dont mind riding in someone else car or even renting a car or Uber (pre Covid) . There was a guy on a 911 forum who needed space and he lived in cold weather . He leased a Honda Civic just to get by to protect the 911 in tougher conditions or needs .

I like the Macan. I love the 911 . Whats even worse is I really want a Gt3 but could not imagine not driving a 911 EVERY day . Its the only material thing I ever owned that mattered to me . I am not a house guy . I never owned a boat or plane and wouldn't want one . I have wristwatches but they were my fathers and are just sentimental . I dont wear them . I use my iPhone. The 911 is king !!
Ahhh ok I see what you’re saying. I don’t disagree. Could I make the 911 work for me?! **** and yes. But then I’d need to spend more money to buy or lease a daily most especially in the winter. Send me a build code for a base 911 at 110-115k and I might be able to change my mind but mostly change my wifes mind. Every time I’ve tried, I can’t keep it below $125-$130k. Plus my neighbor has a 2019 911 GTS and I really want that or a targa 4s.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Ahhh ok I see what you’re saying. I don’t disagree. Could I make the 911 work for me?! **** and yes. But then I’d need to spend more money to buy or lease a daily most especially in the winter. Send me a build code for a base 911 at 110-115k and I might be able to change my mind but mostly change my wifes mind. Every time I’ve tried, I can’t keep it below $125-$130k. Plus my neighbor has a 2019 911 GTS and I really want that or a targa 4s.
You picked gentian blue and are at 96K . Here is 110K in gentian .

Add a little luxury with premium pack and its 115.

There's room in between too. Things like basic color , different wheels etc.

As for the winter .. I'll ask on Rennlist if they drive their RWD cars in the winter .Check 992 section. I have never driven a 911 in winter . I know that my friend wanted a 4 GTS but he lives in blistering cold and snow .
So at the low end it's 110 .... Here is the high end but keeping the options essential , comfortable and minimalist . You would not need a second car and this is a bad boy 911 . The Porsche Code

Ok .. wife may not go for choice 3 .. you never know though . .
Look at my wife (looking not too thrilled) in the hot basement of the dealership while we went looking for the first GTS that arrived , . Then I sat it it for my first time and started it . (13 miles on the odometer) Fast forward to her driving it !!!
Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood Automotive design
Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Car Tachometer
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

61 - 80 of 91 Posts