Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
29 Posts
Buying a sport/performance SUV is an exercise of compromises. I bought a 2021 S b/c that’s what I could afford. I would love to have a GTS instead if I could swing it b/c Porsche makes a GTS model for those of us want more. The S is a mid level experience, but I will say it is better than any other sport SUV brand that I looked at. I came out of a JGC SRT. Whether you choose an S or GTS, there are a number of chip tuning or piggy back options that will enable noticeably more hp/tq making the suv behave like you expect. A pedal commander can also be added for that last little bit of snap.
FWIW, i have seen discussion in the forum that the PDK takes time to adapt to your driving style he will smooth out over time. I haven’t driven mine enough to declare that it has adapted, but I would not be surprised if a Porsche could do that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's weird....before I bought my 2021 GTS, I did extended back to back drives of the S and GTS, and the GTS had noticeably less lag in both normal and sport, neither vehicle had sport chrono.
That makes it hard to compare them. A 95B.2S without Sport Chrono would not be a very good match for someone like the OP who is accustomed to the GT3RS and big American iron. I'm not surprised he dislikes it. I would, too, and I only have a lowly 981S to compare it with. :)

The difference between Sport and Sport+ mode is transformational. It's a different vehicle. That being said, I suspect nothing short of a Urus will fill the bill here.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That makes it hard to compare them. A 95B.2S without Sport Chrono would not be a very good match for someone like the OP who is accustomed to the GT3RS and big American iron. I'm not surprised he dislikes it. I would, too, and I only have a lowly 981S to compare it with. :)

The difference between Sport and Sport+ mode is transformational. It's a different vehicle. That being said, I suspect nothing short of a Urus will fill the bill here.
My GTS has Sport Chrono and PTV+ and I wouldn't say Sport+ does anything in terms of lag, it's the same as sport. The biggest thing I notice from it is the gear shifts being more aggressive and it holds gears even longer.

·
Registered
981 GTS, Macan GTS PN1ASYF3 (on order)
129 Posts
Guys,

Thank you for responses. No Macan hater here and it was not my intention to criticize so much. I listed my concerns with Macan S (and this car is pretty much bare bones as you can tell from 73k MSRP) and my goal with coming here and listing these concerns was simply to find out how different GTS is than this car. Is it like a completely different car?

I'll give you a specific example. Take Porsche's own 911 GT3 vs GT3RS. I drove them back to back many times and GT3RS is like a completely different car. The steering sensitivity, suspension stiffness/damping, noise (inside the car), PDK-S in GT3 vs GT3RS are all vastly different (not to mention, visually they are so different).

I cant however say the same for example between GT350 vs GT350R. Differences are there, but they are very subtle. If I were to blindfold you before getting in the car and we drove back to back in GT3 vs GT3RS and do the same in GT350 vs GT350R, you would think we drove in 3 cars not 4 (with GT350R being too close to GT350).

Unfortunately it is impossible for me to test drive a Macan GTS as there is none around. This would be the first car I ever purchased without ever driving it - even my RS was purchased after 2 test drives, which is why I am here asking for help/feedback.

If the GTS is marginally better, then yes it would be a let down but if its like a completely different car as far as the sound, the throttle response, steering, handling then that's great.
I have a feeling the change from a gt3 to gt3rs is more extreme. Gts is designed to be compliant grand tourer rather than hard edged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a feeling the change from a gt3 to gt3rs is more extreme. Gts is designed to be compliant grand tourer rather than hard edged.
I was simply stating that different trims of the same model (911) is vastly different as far as driving experience - point being, could the same apply in this case between S and GTS where GTS being more precise, livelier, louder, better handling, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
I was simply stating that different trims of the same model (911) is vastly different as far as driving experience - point being, could the same apply in this case between S and GTS where GTS being more precise, livelier, louder, better handling, etc.
95b.1 but the philosophy is likely the same. Read

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I am not. I simply stated thats where I am coming from. I think it came out wrong. Please see my previous post. This isn't a Macan bashing attempt.
I have come from 911's . They were and still are my daily driver . I didn't buy my first SUV until it hit 50 (13 years ago) and it was for my wife . She came out of M3's . She loved the height, spaciousness , utility and comforts of that Cayenne . When the Macan first launched our comparison was more geared to the Cayenne . Here came an SUV with with first PDK that drove more like a raised sport sedan . It had a little less space but it was enough .

BTW that S engine in your 2021 loaner is being retired . The new S will have the 2.9 in the 21 GTS and the new GTS will have the same engine and brakes that are in the 2020 Turbo which we now have . She takes the key to the Macan and I take my 911 .

Unlike a Gt3RS (which I love) my 911 is a GTS specifically so I can drive a 911 every day . The every day need was most important and still is because rather than. ordering a 992 touring I went with a GTS again . I don't compare my 911 to a Macan . I do all that I can to make everything for in my 911 so my wife can use the Macan and so that I dont have to unless I need to .

Your Shelby and 911 are not really daily drivers even though some will try to do it . I suppose the questuiibn that only you can answer is what type of daily driver do you want . If underwhelmed with SUV's in general I'd consider a base Macan or Cayenne (if space is the draw) . A nice splash of performance can be had in a GTS but its not super high performance .

The other alternative is to get a daily 911 and the variant trim level selection is immense .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tested drive 2021 S and GTS back to back, GTS felt noticeable better in terms of turbo lag. Ride quality felt similar. Comparing it to a gt3rs in terms of driving dynamics is probably not making sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Tested drive 2021 S and GTS back to back, GTS felt noticeable better in terms of turbo lag. Ride quality felt similar. Comparing it to a gt3rs in terms of driving dynamics is probably not making sense.
As I have responded to another member who also misunderstood me, I am not comparing to gt3rs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
F30 owner here waiting to get rid of it for my 21 GTS that may be delivered before the next predicted Mayan apocalypse. Can confirm on the vague steering. Yeesh

Then the only choice for you would be the 2022 GTS since it's the top Macan now in the power dept.

And I think you're crazy saying the Porsche Macan steering is vague. You want vague steering at center....drive an F30 3 series BMW....

·
Registered
2020 Macan S - Volcano Grey
54 Posts
I’ve owned my used 2020 Macan S for 9 months, it being my first Porsche. I have found that there is a bit of turbo lag when pulling away, but I have got used to this. I don’t experience any annoying wind noise at any speed, but I do hear tyre noise, especially on rough surface roads. I haven’t driven the GTS version but, overall, I’m very pleased with the performance, quality and refinement of my S 👍👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering the Macan GTS (2022). I am currently driving a loaner (2021 Macan S) as my 991.2 GT3RS is in service and I am rather underwhelmed. My current daily driver is a shelby GT350 that has over 72,000 miles on the clock. Its around 560 hp and weight is little under 3700 lbs (I have some mods). I understand no SUV will match the performance of this car and maybe I am really spoiled but the time has come that I can no longer make it work with the GT350 and I need a bigger car for the family.

Basically, I need to figure out how much better the GTS is vs the S and whether I have unrealistic expectations. I watch all these review videos (including the TheSmokingTire review) and they make this car appear amazing - which may be it is, but I dont know how much better it is than the Macan S I am driving. Here are my concerns, impressions:

• Power : Very very underwhelming. This car has 362 hp and I know the new GTS will have 80 hp more but the speed sort of dies off past 65 mph.
  • Turbo lag : Tremendous turbo lag, I can count "one mississippi, two mississippi" before hitting the gas pedal and the car really start taking off.
  • Transmission : It is not like the PDK in my RS! Its like a completely different transmission. It holds the gears too long or does not downshift quickly. Its really clunky and guesses. In manual mode, the upshifts are really too soft (The ZF8 in the BMW M5 is much harsher upshifts for example), downshifts are too mild
  • Wind noise : Tremendous wind noise at 75 mph and gets progressively worse. You cant drive this car at 95 mph for example for several minutes.
  • Suspension : This car does not have the air suspension and I know that helps but it rides like a brick on wheels. Too stiff and damping is really poor. Too much body roll.
  • Sound : I cannot hear the engine! I actually at first thought this car has 2 liter 4 cylinder engine due to how quite it was. It does not have the support exhaust button but upon close inspection, I do see an exhaust valve in the muffler that opens up.
  • Steering: Too vague, too imprecise. Too much slack when its at 12 o'clock. It doesnt have that Porsche magic (that I have on my RS).

All driving above was done with "Sport" mode on.

Now, given above, how much better is going to be GTS? Is it like a completely different car? The GTS I have built is 104k MSRP with every driveterrain option and decent amount of other things like burmeister. The loaner I have is 73k MSRP with no driveterrain options. I understand GTS has different tuning for steering, suspension, new one has more power, and has the sport exhaust but I am really worried the sound of the engine is going to be a total let down. It does not sound like BMW's Inline 6 for example. Both are turbo charged 6 cylinders but this one is just too quiet.

My other option is to spend another 35k and get a Cayenne GTS. It does sound better but I'm not sure if driving dynamics will be acceptable.

Thank you
this should address all your bullet points …. :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I’ll try to keep it short as well…

From I have READ, not driven (as mine was a 1st Gen GTS)… yes, the newest Gen GTS will be SOMEWHAT better in turbo lag, and handling, and steering feel, than the S. How much better is up for discussion I suppose. Make sure you select Sport Chrono.

Not good enough? Go for Cayenne Coupe Turbo (variant).

Outside of Porsche? Stelvio Quadrifoglio will most likely check your boxes. But live close to a dealership….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 S, 1987 911
70 Posts
Happy owner here on a 2015 S with steel suspension, few options like 21” wheels, keyless entry and nothing to complain about. Wind noise is not even there for my 6 years old Macan and exhaust is just right from the old-school 3.0 engine (but louder is always better).

A GT car is quite the mark to beat, so the Macan GTS might not be right contender, and comparing oranges to apples does seem wrong to me. Compare SUV vs. SUV and the Macan S/GTS/Turbo shines from the bunch.

Go for the GTS 2022 and add all performance options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Happy owner here on a 2015 S with steel suspension, few options like 21” wheels, keyless entry and nothing to complain about. Wind noise is not even there for my 6 years old Macan and exhaust is just right from the old-school 3.0 engine (but louder is always better).

A GT car is quite the mark to beat, so the Macan GTS might not be right contender, and comparing oranges to apples does seem wrong to me. Compare SUV vs. SUV and the Macan S/GTS/Turbo shines from the bunch.

Go for the GTS 2022 and add all performance options.
Honestly, I am not comparing it to my GT3RS. I simply threw that name out there to explain thats a car I own with a PDK transmission. Its not like I am replacing the GT3RS with the Macan:)

I also want to emphasize that my gripes with this car isn't about its size, or ride height, or handling. It actually does those things surprisingly well. My complaints are I think mostly around throttle response and transmission.

I did a 100 mile drive today, around 60% highway, 30% freeway, rest stop and go city traffic. I think there is a substantial throttle lag but I am not sure if this is coming from the built in gas pedal numbness OR the small V6 engine OR the transmission (OR a bit of all of them). But I find myself literally getting nervous not as easily navigate a busy highway. Once you put your foot down, there are several seconds of gap until the car truly takes off. I think the pedal has some programming in it that has a dead spot, plus the engine isn't that responsive (I can see turbo boost building up after a bit), and the PDK is really very different than the PDKs you see in the 911s. It holds the gears too long or takes too long to downshift.

These issues really have nothing to do with this being an SUV or weighing 4,400 lbs or the name being Macan. I think its a combination of the programming + engine + transmission. If the three variables were present in a 911, I'd be complaining the same way. I don't think an SUV should be like this just because it's an SUV. You want the gas pedal to be as responsive as possible.

In terms of cornering, braking, and even steering response are really not areas of concern. I have done some research here in this forum and it looks like my complaints aren't really unique, these are known issues with this car.

Once the car gets going, it actually can gain speed and does not run out of power. But the time it takes to respond to your input is really unacceptable. I am not sure how much better the GTS is. I guess I should try to find an old Macan Turbo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Honestly, I am not comparing it to my GT3RS. I simply threw that name out there to explain thats a car I own with a PDK transmission. Its not like I am replacing the GT3RS with the Macan:)

I also want to emphasize that my gripes with this car isn't about its size, or ride height, or handling. It actually does those things surprisingly well. My complaints are I think mostly around throttle response and transmission.

I did a 100 mile drive today, around 60% highway, 30% freeway, rest stop and go city traffic. I think there is a substantial throttle lag but I am not sure if this is coming from the built in gas pedal numbness OR the small V6 engine OR the transmission (OR a bit of all of them). But I find myself literally getting nervous not as easily navigate a busy highway. Once you put your foot down, there are several seconds of gap until the car truly takes off. I think the pedal has some programming in it that has a dead spot, plus the engine isn't that responsive (I can see turbo boost building up after a bit), and the PDK is really very different than the PDKs you see in the 911s. It holds the gears too long or takes too long to downshift.

These issues really have nothing to do with this being an SUV or weighing 4,400 lbs or the name being Macan. I think its a combination of the programming + engine + transmission. If the three variables were present in a 911, I'd be complaining the same way. I don't think an SUV should be like this just because it's an SUV. You want the gas pedal to be as responsive as possible.

In terms of cornering, braking, and even steering response are really not areas of concern. I have done some research here in this forum and it looks like my complaints aren't really unique, these are known issues with this car.

Once the car gets going, it actually can gain speed and does not run out of power. But the time it takes to respond to your input is really unacceptable. I am not sure how much better the GTS is. I guess I should try to find an old Macan Turbo.
have you seen this?

Macan GTS 2022 Review

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, like 3 times:) His type of driving is not how I would drive this car. This car will be our daily driver, around town, highway, road trips, etc. I am not going to drive an SUV in canyon roads. I have other toys for that. If I keep macan in manual mode and revs above 3000, yes the lag/response issues probably will be masked. But thats not how it will be used. I need it to haul ass when I need it. I do need it to corner good but not as a “fun” car. No offense to those who might use this car in that manner.

I put around 700-800 miles/month to my GT3RS alone just for canyon carving.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, like 3 times:) His type of driving is not how I would drive this car. This car will be our daily driver, around town, highway, road trips, etc. I am not going to drive an SUV in canyon roads. I have other toys for that. If I keep macan in manual mode and revs above 3000, yes the lag/response issues probably will be masked. But thats not how it will be used. I need it to haul ass when I need it. I do need it to corner good but not as a “fun” car. No offense to those who might use this car in that manner.

I put around 700-800 miles/month to my GT3RS alone just for canyon carving.
I suppose the thing is they weren’t exactly thrilled with the engine as compared to a GLC ,but they said it had a good transmission. That should give you some indication ?

21 - 40 of 91 Posts