Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Macan GTS (2022). I am currently driving a loaner (2021 Macan S) as my 991.2 GT3RS is in service and I am rather underwhelmed. My current daily driver is a shelby GT350 that has over 72,000 miles on the clock. Its around 560 hp and weight is little under 3700 lbs (I have some mods). I understand no SUV will match the performance of this car and maybe I am really spoiled but the time has come that I can no longer make it work with the GT350 and I need a bigger car for the family.

Basically, I need to figure out how much better the GTS is vs the S and whether I have unrealistic expectations. I watch all these review videos (including the TheSmokingTire review) and they make this car appear amazing - which may be it is, but I dont know how much better it is than the Macan S I am driving. Here are my concerns, impressions:

• Power : Very very underwhelming. This car has 362 hp and I know the new GTS will have 80 hp more but the speed sort of dies off past 65 mph.
  • Turbo lag : Tremendous turbo lag, I can count "one mississippi, two mississippi" before hitting the gas pedal and the car really start taking off.
  • Transmission : It is not like the PDK in my RS! Its like a completely different transmission. It holds the gears too long or does not downshift quickly. Its really clunky and guesses. In manual mode, the upshifts are really too soft (The ZF8 in the BMW M5 is much harsher upshifts for example), downshifts are too mild
  • Wind noise : Tremendous wind noise at 75 mph and gets progressively worse. You cant drive this car at 95 mph for example for several minutes.
  • Suspension : This car does not have the air suspension and I know that helps but it rides like a brick on wheels. Too stiff and damping is really poor. Too much body roll.
  • Sound : I cannot hear the engine! I actually at first thought this car has 2 liter 4 cylinder engine due to how quite it was. It does not have the support exhaust button but upon close inspection, I do see an exhaust valve in the muffler that opens up.
  • Steering: Too vague, too imprecise. Too much slack when its at 12 o'clock. It doesnt have that Porsche magic (that I have on my RS).

All driving above was done with "Sport" mode on.

Now, given above, how much better is going to be GTS? Is it like a completely different car? The GTS I have built is 104k MSRP with every driveterrain option and decent amount of other things like burmeister. The loaner I have is 73k MSRP with no driveterrain options. I understand GTS has different tuning for steering, suspension, new one has more power, and has the sport exhaust but I am really worried the sound of the engine is going to be a total let down. It does not sound like BMW's Inline 6 for example. Both are turbo charged 6 cylinders but this one is just too quiet.

My other option is to spend another 35k and get a Cayenne GTS. It does sound better but I'm not sure if driving dynamics will be acceptable.

Thank you

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
180 Posts
Tough to live up to 991.2GT3 RS standards, especially for an SUV ;) I cannot specifically speak to the new 2022 Macan GTS as I have not driven it and there are only a few reviews out at the moment. But if it is similar to the "old" Macan Turbo Performance Package (both 440 hp albeit different engines) I think it would be a great car.

You cannot defy physics but the car handles great and has enough power for most people. But maybe you don't fall into that category if you need to replace a GT 350. But overall the Macan delivers the best bang for the buck in the Porsche lineup. A Cayenne GTS will be considerably more expensive and is a bigger car, so despite more hp won't have the same handling I think. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tough to live up to 991.2GT3 RS standards, especially for an SUV ;) I cannot specifically speak to the new 2022 Macan GTS as I have not driven it and there are only a few reviews out at the moment. But if it is similar to the "old" Macan Turbo Performance Package (both 440 hp albeit different engines) I think it would be a great car.

You cannot defy physics but the car handles great and has enough power for most people. But maybe you don't fall into that category if you need to replace a GT 350. But overall the Macan delivers the best bang for the buck in the Porsche lineup. A Cayenne GTS will be considerably more expensive and is a bigger car, so despite more hp won't have the same handling I think. My 2 cents.
How does the GTS sound vs an S? Is the turbo lag better or worse (is the tune different between S vs GTS that makes GTS more snappier?)? Is PDK programming different?

·
Registered
2018 Macan Saphhire Blue
79 Posts
Unpopular opinions for sure. Coming in a Macan forum and criticize every aspect of the cars we all own is probably not going to get you many constructive replies. I agree you can not compare a Macan to a GT3RS. But the steering, PDK and suspension are known to be excellent on these cars. I'm sure the Macan steering would be a tremendous upgrade from the GT350 as I have driven both and find American steering to lack that German "magic."

·
Registered
'21 Macan GTS volcanic grey over black
39 Posts
Couple comments:
1) wind noise - I have of what you describe on my GTS - guessing you have a trim or door fitment issue in the loaner.
2) I think the air suspension transforms the rids and car feels very planted.
3) I always have the sport+ engaged so lower and very little roll with improved throttle response.
Sounds like you need to find onto test drive!

·
Registered
428 Posts
The 2021 S has the 3.0 liter which has substantial lag and poor response. The GTS has the 2.9l which the 2022 S and GTS will both have. The 2.9l responds MUCH better than the 3.0l.

Also using Sport+ (with Sport Chrono package) helps with the more aggressive shifts. The air suspension does improve things slightly but it's an SUV and will have body roll no matter which suspension you go with.

I guess long/short, the S to GTS especially in the 95B.2's is a fairly substantial difference in dynamics. All Macan's are good for SUVs but you have to understand they are not true sports cars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, you made me question my own purchase! I bet some people could confuse you with a Macan hater, throwaway account maybe? Just kidding, I hope you can find a car that meets your expectations, and hopefully that can be a Macan. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
981 GTS, Macan GTS PN1ASYF3 (on order)
129 Posts
Maybe have a look at a merc glc63 ? They are harsher riding but are rapid. Or a wagon like an RS6 ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

Thank you for responses. No Macan hater here and it was not my intention to criticize so much. I listed my concerns with Macan S (and this car is pretty much bare bones as you can tell from 73k MSRP) and my goal with coming here and listing these concerns was simply to find out how different GTS is than this car. Is it like a completely different car?

I'll give you a specific example. Take Porsche's own 911 GT3 vs GT3RS. I drove them back to back many times and GT3RS is like a completely different car. The steering sensitivity, suspension stiffness/damping, noise (inside the car), PDK-S in GT3 vs GT3RS are all vastly different (not to mention, visually they are so different).

I cant however say the same for example between GT350 vs GT350R. Differences are there, but they are very subtle. If I were to blindfold you before getting in the car and we drove back to back in GT3 vs GT3RS and do the same in GT350 vs GT350R, you would think we drove in 3 cars not 4 (with GT350R being too close to GT350).

Unfortunately it is impossible for me to test drive a Macan GTS as there is none around. This would be the first car I ever purchased without ever driving it - even my RS was purchased after 2 test drives, which is why I am here asking for help/feedback.

If the GTS is marginally better, then yes it would be a let down but if its like a completely different car as far as the sound, the throttle response, steering, handling then that's great.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Trying to compare the GT3RS with a Macan....

Food Rangpur Valencia orange Green Nature

·
Registered
184 Posts
My comments are based on owning a bunch of Gen 1's and a GTS. We had both a bare bone running around town S's and also a GTS that had PTV and a bunch of other options. The two cars driven back to back are so very different in driving, braking and exhaust sound.
We tested the 2.9GTS from 2021 and it has more composed air suspension than the 2018 and the lag is reduced on the 2.9 vs the 3.0, but the motor holds higher rev's than the 3.0. Can't compare the noise since we generally do thermal glass and it's pretty quiet, but the regular glass does produce more noise.

The model you drove is the one I didn't like. Noise sucked so bad we got one of the last 2018's sitting on the lot in 2019 instead of getting the 2019S which is the same engine of the 2021S.

All things considered, the sharpness you get in your current cars could probably be achieved with liberal amount of mod money, but then it wouldn't be the great all around vehicle it is.

More precise may work on a GT3, but when -40C comes around, I'm not certain that would be much fun and that's why the Macan is such an interesting vehicle. It's a winter monster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You need to find a 2021 turbo to drive, that will be closer to the GTS then the S.

As a side note, we have a 17S and I did PEC experience with the Macan Turbo w/ performance pack. The extra power was noticeable, but it wasn't something that blew me away. I think you will be disappointed with either an S or GTS if you don't reset your expectations. Otherwise go look at the Cayenne Turbo GT.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The 2.9L twin-turbo cars are laggier than the 3.0L in my experience. I didn't (and still don't) understand it, but that's what I observed during test drives, contrary to SomeGuy's observation. You'll need to judge for yourself, I think.

You need to be in Sport+ mode, not Sport mode. On the 95B.2, normal mode is useless and Sport mode isn't much better. Also, don't judge the lag and other response characteristics until the engine comes up to full operating temperature, as they definitely nerf it when cold.

Yes, it holds gears a bit too long on occasion, and you will probably find that more likely to happen in Sport+ mode. But it's easy to get into the habit of upshifting manually when that happens.

And yes, the engine is still going to be too quiet, but there are likely to be some good aftermarket exhaust options to help with that.

Wind noise, never experienced that at all. My 2020 S is as quiet as a Rolls, and the steering is drop-dead flawless. Check your inflation pressures, maybe?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The 2.9L twin-turbo cars are laggier than the 3.0L in my experience. I didn't (and still don't) understand it, but that's what I observed during test drives, contrary to SomeGuy's observation. You'll need to judge for yourself, I think.
I totally disagree.

My 2018 GTS (3.0L) had plenty of turbo lag, my current 2020 GTS (2.9L) hardly any at all.

I will say though my 2018 GTS had a better exhaust note....

Reactions: HymieP and DXDONALD

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I am not. I simply stated thats where I am coming from. I think it came out wrong. Please see my previous post. This isn't a Macan bashing attempt.
Then the only choice for you would be the 2022 GTS since it's the top Macan now in the power dept.

And I think you're crazy saying the Porsche Macan steering is vague. You want vague steering at center....drive an F30 3 series BMW....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Then the only choice for you would be the 2022 GTS since it's the top Macan now in the power dept.

And I think you're crazy saying the Porsche Macan steering is vague. You want vague steering at center....drive an F30 3 series BMW....
It is vague relative to my other cars, including the $59,000 Ford GT350. With the GT350, there is 0 slack and its like pointing a laser beam. It is heavy yes not the Porsche light steering but it is very precise. There is at least 1-1.5 inches of dead spot on the Macan S steering. This is probably substantially less in the GTS - I just dont know how much better it is (hence why I am here asking).

Disclaimer : I have not driven ANY performance SUVs, be it compact or standard size. All I have driven is Macan base, S, Cayenne base, S, X5 5.0i, etc. They all sucked and yes Macan S is better than all of them but I guess I would want it to be a bit better (if a car like that actually exists).

You guys do not hear any wind noise at all? My loaner has considerable wind noise that unless I crank up the volume of the Bose stereo over 30%, it becomes very audible. This is around 75 mph. I did not go faster. Maybe its the shape of the mirrors or the shape of the windshield. I dont remember Cayenne having this. The wind noise is not something I can tolerate as we take 2000 mile road trips at least 2 times, sometimes 3 times a year. These are some very very very VERY long roads where speed limits are much higher and you simply cant go 75 mph. You have to overtake trailers etc and want to zip past them as you put your foot down.

I dont need a sports car like SUV (I already have 3 sports cars, GT350, C7 ZR1, and a GT3RS). I do need a fast SUV that will be comfortable around town but more importantly I can take across the country and it won't be overwhelmed passing cars at faster speeds. At the same time, I dont want to overspend because this car is all about utility/function - not fun. Any $ amount I spend towards this car is a $ amount I cant spend on my other cars be it mod budget or tires or what not. So I look at this car as a cheap Porsche that goes fast and is comfortable that I can drive my family around town and in these long trips. If money was no object, I would buy a Cayenne Turbo GT yes but thats GT3 money and is crazy.

·
Registered
428 Posts

You need to be in Sport+ mode, not Sport mode. On the 95B.2, normal mode is useless and Sport mode isn't much better. Also, don't judge the lag and other response characteristics until the engine comes up to full operating temperature, as they definitely nerf it when cold.

Yes, it holds gears a bit too long on occasion, and you will probably find that more likely to happen in Sport+ mode. But it's easy to get into the habit of upshifting manually when that happens.

And yes, the engine is still going to be too quiet, but there are likely to be some good aftermarket exhaust options to help with that.

Wind noise, never experienced that at all. My 2020 S is as quiet as a Rolls, and the steering is drop-dead flawless. Check your inflation pressures, maybe?
That's weird....before I bought my 2021 GTS, I did extended back to back drives of the S and GTS, and the GTS had noticeably less lag in both normal and sport, neither vehicle had sport chrono. General consensus on the Macan is the 2.9l is better than any of the other engines except the 3.6l from the 95B.1 Turbo's.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts