Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Mod:
Side Marker Light Set
I'd recommend changing to LEDs & either clear or smoke color lens. The light itself is still Amber so, it is legal.
Would look good on Agate Grey.

Side Marker Light Set
(IDK if these are LEDs)

These are not LEDs.

I swapped factory for LEDs in my 911 but did not & will not in my Macan since I like the orange with Sapphire Blue.

Others can comment on availability & DIY guide for Macan LED side markers.

I think someone sells a film you can apply to the factory orange lens for a quick & easy DIY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Congrats!! Looks like an awesome spec. I love Agate Grey, especially since it looks great with either silver or black trim. Black GTS style headlights and black window trim really adds an aggressive touch. I love the Sport design bumper.

I can probably source some spyders (or just about any other wheel) for you. I have a set in black coming soon.

Welcome to the forum and congrats again!!
INTERESTED! I want the silver though. (My other SUV has black wheels and that's just not the look of this car.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice! just wondering, is the front bumper replaced with a GTS?
No, that’s the sport design package. The “chin spoiler” (idk what to call it) has another little blade that looks like the GTS. Here’s an image that shows what the package offers. I love it! Such a good option.
Pick this, new buyers!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mod:
Side Marker Light Set
The light itself is still Amber so, it is legal.

I don't think that's the case. US DOT regs require that side marker lights both illuminate and reflect amber. The reflect requirement is intended to make a parked or disabled car visible to others.

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Mod:
Side Marker Light Set
I'd recommend changing to LEDs & either clear or smoke color lens. The light itself is still Amber so, it is legal.
Would look good on Agate Grey.

Side Marker Light Set
(IDK if these are LEDs)

These are not LEDs.

I swapped factory for LEDs in my 911 but did not & will not in my Macan since I like the orange with Sapphire Blue.

Others can comment on availability & DIY guide for Macan LED side markers.

I think someone sells a film you can apply to the factory orange lens for a quick & easy DIY.
"I like the orange with Sapphire Blue. " Me, too. That is a good combination.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
So you say these are illegal in the U.S?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So you say these are illegal in the U.S?

My reading of the US Department of Transportation regulations requires two amber illuminated side marker lamps and two amber reflex reflectors, also on each side of the car. 49 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Section 571.108. It's a mind numbing read which I did several years ago, and am trying to avoid repeating. On every car I've noticed here in the US the side markers near the front of the car both illuminate amber and reflect amber, so one set that does both obviously meets the US DOT requirement.

New York State does not check this as part of their annual state inspection process and I imagine most other states do not either, but I have not researched which states do and do not check this. So, one who changes out the amber will most likely never be fined or called on it. From my perspective though, I would not change a safety feature on the car, That is just my view.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice! just wondering, is the front bumper replaced with a GTS?
Good catch!

No, that’s the sport design package. The “chin spoiler” (idk what to call it) has another little blade that looks like the GTS. Here’s an image that shows what the package offers. I love it! Such a good option.
So is it the same as the GTS just on the S? I am hopefully trading my S in for a GTS this week.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It doesn’t make sense though. If the side markers how yellow when the lights are on. What is the purpose for them to reflect as well? The law states they need to be illuminated in the color of amber when lights are on

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It doesn’t make sense though. If the side markers how yellow when the lights are on. What is the purpose for them to reflect as well? The law states they need to be illuminated in the color of amber when lights are on
To make the car visible when it is parked or disabled in the darkness to drivers of other cars.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
My reading of the US Department of Transportation regulations requires two amber illuminated side marker lamps and two amber reflex reflectors, also on each side of the car. 49 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Section 571.108. It's a mind numbing read which I did several years ago, and am trying to avoid repeating. On every car I've noticed here in the US the side markers near the front of the car both illuminate amber and reflect amber, so one set that does both obviously meets the US DOT requirement.

New York State does not check this as part of their annual state inspection process and I imagine most other states do not either, but I have not researched which states do and do not check this. So, one who changes out the amber will most likely never be fined or called on it. From my perspective though, I would not change a safety feature on the car, That is just my view.
Very good points!

I did some searches, after your post #24 ("US DOT regs require that side marker lights both illuminate and reflect amber.") to see if I could find the regulation & I found way too much information re trucks & gave up after 10 minutes.

Orange is much more visible vs. clear or smoke colored lenses, even in daylight.
I did swap the OEM amber lenses in my 911 for clear LEDs, that have orange lights, very soon after getting the 911, 2+ years ago. I did it for appearance sake & had thought since the lights were still orange, it was just fine.
I had read about many people doing this for their Macans & also 911s. My 911 is Agate Grey & in daylight when those lights are off, it would be less visible from the side than the OEM orange. {I assume those lights are not on during the daytime but, I am not sure, since there are daytime running lights}
Here are photos; OEM Amber; Off, On, Clear LEDS; Off, ON:
GG OEM Amber Side Lights - OFF.jpg

GG OEM Amber Side Lights - ON.jpg

GG New Clear LED Side Lights - OFF.jpg

GG New Clear LED Side Lights - ON.jpg

Reactions: reguy
21 - 34 of 34 Posts