Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday I had the pleasure to test drive Macan S for about 2 hours. After 1,5h I checked the average fuel consumption and I was shocked: 20.4 l/100km which is 11.53 miles/gallon with average speed 51km/h (32 mph).

Half of the ride was on the highway with speed ~130-170 km/h (80-105 mph), the other half was a city ride. I did 3 launch control starts and also went for max once. Nevertheless, the average fuel consumption is way over what I have expected.

I would love to hear from those who already received their Macans and what have they experienced.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I also had a long test drive of an S this week. The car had only done 400 miles, but scrolling through the PCM functions the long term fuel consumption came up, i.e. From new, it showed that the UK consumption was approx 18 MPG. I too thought this was poor, but the engine, despite views to the contrary, does need a period of running-in according to the Porsche techs I spoke to although they are 90%+ ready to go at full chat. I expect the number to rise for my own car, which will do longer trips and will be cherished for the first couple of thousand miles before the Sport Plus button gets stuck on.0:) The diesel is of course available here for those who wish to cuddle Polar Bears rather than embrace the Tiger>:D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The Good To Know app says the fuel consumption is higher when running in the engine. Hope that explains things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My average fuel consumption from new over the last 22 months in my 2.7 PDK 981 boxster is 21 mpg UK and therefore I would expect the Macan S petrol to be less in view of its size and weight. However most of my trips in the Boxster are short and tend to be in Sport mode. Would easily get 30mpg + on a long motorway run. The average on my previous 2.9 PDK 987.2 Cayman was about 1mpg less. I used to have a 2007 Merc ML Diesel Sport and the average on that over 3 years was also only about 22 mpg. I am hoping that my Macan diesel will be better.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
On Wednesday I had the pleasure to test drive Macan S for about 2 hours.
I also had a long test drive of an S this week. The car had only done 400 miles, but scrolling through the PCM functions the long term fuel consumption came up, i.e.

@igoriq and @The Hawk , Other than fuel consumption, what did you guys think of the test drive. How was reality vs expectation ? In US we still have to wait a month before we get to test drive and hence your inputs would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
To @igoriq, even my Diesel BMW 335d gets less mpg if I hammer it in Sport mode, based on your description of how you drove I don't think it is unexpected. And as others here said, the engine is still not broken in.

I would be more concerned at this stage on how the car handles, fit and finish and of course how fast is the S compared to what are you driving currently. Please do, tell us more.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My test drive last week on a Turbo shows on the trip display (since last reset and not during my test drive ;-) ):

drive during: 10h07min
kilometers: 593
average speed: 59 km/h
average consumption: 15.9l/100km

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The US configurator now shows the mileage figures under technical specs:

It shows the same for the S and the Turbo:
City: 17 mpg
Highway: 23 mpg
Combined: 19 mpg

I don't know if the EPA figures will be the same, as they aren't on their website yet.

I'm disappointed that the highway mileage isn't a little higher.

·
Registered
515 Posts

I don't know if the EPA figures will be the same, as they aren't on their website yet.

I'm disappointed that the highway mileage isn't a little higher.
Oddly the same as the 2014 V6 Cayenne:

Fuel Economy of the 2014 Porsche Cayenne

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dear REMGB, Sebis etc, apologies been out for a bit and quite rightly you need to know the important stuff. I have commented elsewhere, but specifically, coming from a Cayenne, the drive is night and day different.
In no particular order, the steering is quite heavy, but in a good way, not hugely feel-some, but direct and quick. The brakes too were much more sensitive than the Cayenne, very progressive and gave me lots of confidence and easier to modulate. Even without AS, but with PASM the handling is neutral and tucked into the corners with minimal roll. Bump absorption was good, but I have decided to upgrade to the AS as it both lowers the COG and just gives that extra polish to the ride.
Although I will miss the torque of the diesel, optioning SC, as on the test drive, will liven up the throttle response nicely, this is not a slow car however, so lets be realistic and say for day to day driving, you will not be disappointed by the performance, the noise maybe. Late speccers should go with the Sports Exhaust.

Visibility was fine, but I am sorry to report that I will not go with the 18way. The fact that so many feel the need to comment tells the reality, these are too tight, I don't know why. My wife is skin and bones and rides horses so knows a saddle, the Cayenne standard seats suit us both better and I am average height, weight too. The myriad adjustments are fine, but put anything more than a shirt on and you may struggle/ be forever tinkering depending on your clothes, unlike with the sports seats in the Cayman/ Boxster and 911, which are wider and flatter. This is an SUV, you do not need or want to be squeezed in. Alcanatara is nice and grippy, but you can't spec it with leather and additionally, as some of the plastics look and feel a bit brittle, I would recommend full leather as an expensive, but worthwhile option.

I have plenty of other thoughts on interior/ exterior options etc should anyone need to ask? My main thoughts/ changes post the road test though are paint the side blades and have the aluminium package.

Overall, the Mac is a physics defying drive and if you do not need the space of a Cayenne, but need more practicality than a 911, then this is the only game in town. I loved it, but you are paying a lot and there are plenty of fast, well made estates out there and lovely 18 month old GTS/ V8 Diesel Cayennes out there too. Residuals will be great, but don't go overboard on the options.

Regards to all, and just to provoke angst, I enjoyed driving my Cayenne home after the test drive. The Macan wants to be driven, the Cayenne goes with the flow, which in my case was a traffic jam on the M25, just saying!0:)

·
Registered
887 Posts

Hm, city is identical to the Panamera 4S and highway is 23 vs 27 for the Panamera. Somewhat disappointing, I have to admit.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Dear REMGB, Sebis etc, apologies been out for a bit and quite rightly you need to know the important stuff. I have commented elsewhere, but specifically, coming from a Cayenne, the drive is night and day different.
In no particular order, the steering is quite heavy, but in a good way, not hugely feel-some, but direct and quick. The brakes too were much more sensitive than the Cayenne, very progressive and gave me lots of confidence and easier to modulate. Even without AS, but with PASM the handling is neutral and tucked into the corners with minimal roll. Bump absorption was good, but I have decided to upgrade to the AS as it both lowers the COG and just gives that extra polish to the ride.
Although I will miss the torque of the diesel, optioning SC, as on the test drive, will liven up the throttle response nicely, this is not a slow car however, so lets be realistic and say for day to day driving, you will not be disappointed by the performance, the noise maybe. Late speccers should go with the Sports Exhaust.

Visibility was fine, but I am sorry to report that I will not go with the 18way. The fact that so many feel the need to comment tells the reality, these are too tight, I don't know why. My wife is skin and bones and rides horses so knows a saddle, the Cayenne standard seats suit us both better and I am average height, weight too. The myriad adjustments are fine, but put anything more than a shirt on and you may struggle/ be forever tinkering depending on your clothes, unlike with the sports seats in the Cayman/ Boxster and 911, which are wider and flatter. This is an SUV, you do not need or want to be squeezed in. Alcanatara is nice and grippy, but you can't spec it with leather and additionally, as some of the plastics look and feel a bit brittle, I would recommend full leather as an expensive, but worthwhile option.

I have plenty of other thoughts on interior/ exterior options etc should anyone need to ask? My main thoughts/ changes post the road test though are paint the side blades and have the aluminium package.

Overall, the Mac is a physics defying drive and if you do not need the space of a Cayenne, but need more practicality than a 911, then this is the only game in town. I loved it, but you are paying a lot and there are plenty of fast, well made estates out there and lovely 18 month old GTS/ V8 Diesel Cayennes out there too. Residuals will be great, but don't go overboard on the options.

Regards to all, and just to provoke angst, I enjoyed driving my Cayenne home after the test drive. The Macan wants to be driven, the Cayenne goes with the flow, which in my case was a traffic jam on the M25, just saying!0:)
Thank you very much for the detailed feedback after test drive. Since you test drove the S, can I take that it felt powerful enough for you. I do like AS as it gives more flexibililty with low CoG and for worst case snow situations, where your driveway is snowed in or similar. SC hopefully gives that illusion of extra kick due to throttle response as far as low end torque goes.

Fingers crossed on my 18-way order and also the 60% of people in the forums who have ordered 18-way :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Absolutely, the S is quick enough and SC certainly helped so no worries there.:) Diesel torque is awesome low down, but ultimately the power of the petrol wins you over, its a Porsche not an Audi, well mostly.:D
Never have I known such discussion about seats though:eek:. I am sure no one is going to be unhappy with the 18way, they look great and do feel snug and many people want the best, understandably. However, we found the standard seat more comfortable and less restrictive. For my wife to make a comment that anyone much bigger than her narrow, itsy bitsy frame:x, would struggle to get comfortable, struck a cord with me.
I think a comment elsewhere has been made that they were surprised at how tight the 18way felt despite its adjustment. So no need to worry I am sure, but if you have not locked in your spec, spend some time in both seats, not just a quick, ooh that feels nice in my tee shirt nice:laugh:, but hopefully a test drive and see what you think. I am sure the bolsters will flatten a bit over time though, so either will be fine I am sure:D.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
On my way to test out 18 ways right now. Im scared I wont like them as I have back problems, but lets see what happens. I totally agree with the poster who said 'this is a car you do NOT WANT to be squeezed in" since it is already tight & smaller than the Cayenne. I sat in the 14 ways on the Macan and I was SQUEEZED a lot by those! Im 6'0 and 185, slim, so I can't imagine being squeezed much more by the 18 ways

·
Registered
493 Posts
I sat in the 14 ways on the Macan and I was SQUEEZED a lot by those! Im 6'0 and 185, slim as heck, so I can't imagine being squeezed much more by the 18 ways
Same experience here - I haven't had a chance to sit in the 18's - but the 14-way in a Cayenne felt tight (and I'm not that big). Decided to go with the 14's to play it safe.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I sat in the 14-ways again yesterday, very happy with the feel. Confirmed my decision to stay with them.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Regarding the seats, I am currently driving a BMW with sport seat with adjustable side bolsters. So for me the 18-way are a must and when I tested them I thought they have better adjustments than my current ones.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Just got back. 18's are VERY tight on me, BUT they feel 'just right'. Must point out that anyone bigger than ME ( 6'0, 185, slim/athletic build) and you are going to have major problems. I played w/ the seats in every way possible... Im surprised that anything bigger than me and ppl wont be happy, thats for sure. I stuck w/ my 18s, I just hope on long car rides they don't start to get annoying! 14's are the safer bet if you're on the fence though.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Absolutely, the S is quick enough and SC certainly helped so no worries there.:) Diesel torque is awesome low down, but ultimately the power of the petrol wins you over, its a Porsche not an Audi, well mostly.:D
Never have I known such discussion about seats though:eek:. I am sure no one is going to be unhappy with the 18way, they look great and do feel snug and many people want the best, understandably. However, we found the standard seat more comfortable and less restrictive. For my wife to make a comment that anyone much bigger than her narrow, itsy bitsy frame:x, would struggle to get comfortable, struck a cord with me.
I think a comment elsewhere has been made that they were surprised at how tight the 18way felt despite its adjustment. So no need to worry I am sure, but if you have not locked in your spec, spend some time in both seats, not just a quick, ooh that feels nice in my tee shirt nice:laugh:, but hopefully a test drive and see what you think. I am sure the bolsters will flatten a bit over time though, so either will be fine I am sure:D.
Thanks for your response. SC with Manual shifting with better throttle response should help...

On the 18-way, is the 18-way in Macan narrower than Cayenne? Also no reviewer has mentioned anything about 18-way being too snug though lot of reviewer's Macans had 18-way seats.

I like the fit of BMW sports seats and hoped Macan has similar if not better... Looks like maybe I will have to remove jackets when driving Macan with 18-way seats ;)

1 - 20 of 529 Posts