Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2015 Porsche Macan S with 38000 miles, and love almost everything about it. One thing that has crept up that bothers me perhaps more than it should, however, is a vibration at idle.

On cold start, the engine runs perfectly smoothly. In sport mode (higher idle RPM), it's fine as well. In all driving scenarios it's great. There are no codes stored. But, when the engine is fully warmed through (oil temperature >~200F) and especially when the cabin blower/AC are turned on, there's a moderate amount of vibration transferred to the cabin. There are two components to this vibration; one is a little less intrusive but constant, the other is rhythmic (probably twice per second) and can actually shake the vehicle a little bit (granted, I'm on tall sidewalls and base suspension, so this isn't hard to do).

On first demonstrating this to a local dealership's service department, I was quickly told it was normal. This seems rather unfortunate, as my Cayman, a proper sports car, doesn't exhibit anything close to this, even with its dynamic engine mounts in their stiff setting.

I took it to another dealership and the folks there weren't so sure about it being normal. They cleared debris from the blower, checked the A/C unit, performed a throttle adaptation, and performed a relearning of servo motor flaps (not sure what this is). This supposedly fixed the issue, but as is all too often the case it appears they didn't follow my directions and test with oil up to temperature... The vibration is unchanged.

Though I can't link to it directly as this is my first post, there was a post describing something similar posted back in 2015 under the title "Anyone else getting rough idle in extreme heat?"

All of this boils down to two questions: has anyone else experienced this, particularly as the miles accumulate, and what other diagnostic steps should I consider taking? Thanks!

EDIT - more information: spark plugs changed at 30k; I've tried Techron fuel system cleaner just for the **** of it which didn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next step: I left less-than-satisfactory feedback for the dealer regarding the last service and they're going to take another look.

After that: time to trade in...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2015 Porsche Macan S with 38000 miles, and love almost everything about it. One thing that has crept up that bothers me perhaps more than it should, however, is a vibration at idle.

On cold start, the engine runs perfectly smoothly. In sport mode (higher idle RPM), it's fine as well. In all driving scenarios it's great. There are no codes stored. But, when the engine is fully warmed through (oil temperature >~200F) and especially when the cabin blower/AC are turned on, there's a moderate amount of vibration transferred to the cabin. There are two components to this vibration; one is a little less intrusive but constant, the other is rhythmic (probably twice per second) and can actually shake the vehicle a little bit (granted, I'm on tall sidewalls and base suspension, so this isn't hard to do).

On first demonstrating this to a local dealership's service department, I was quickly told it was normal. This seems rather unfortunate, as my Cayman, a proper sports car, doesn't exhibit anything close to this, even with its dynamic engine mounts in their stiff setting.

I took it to another dealership and the folks there weren't so sure about it being normal. They cleared debris from the blower, checked the A/C unit, performed a throttle adaptation, and performed a relearning of servo motor flaps (not sure what this is). This supposedly fixed the issue, but as is all too often the case it appears they didn't follow my directions and test with oil up to temperature... The vibration is unchanged.

Though I can't link to it directly as this is my first post, there was a post describing something similar posted back in 2015 under the title "Anyone else getting rough idle in extreme heat?"

All of this boils down to two questions: has anyone else experienced this, particularly as the miles accumulate, and what other diagnostic steps should I consider taking? Thanks!

EDIT - more information: spark plugs changed at 30k; I've tried Techron fuel system cleaner just for the **** of it which didn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, currently experiencing the same problem. I live in year round 30C weather and just a few month ago my macan started vibrating at low rpm, and seems to get worse with time. My Macan Turbo has all her maintenance up to date according with Porsche, had it since new and now it has 40K miles.
I also experience a similar type of vibration when in high torque situations, ex. Low rpm with 2nd gear climbing a small hill, parking with tight turning radius and offsets. My local Porsche Mechanic told me it could be the transfer gear case grease needing replacement. My father an experienced mechanic rode with me the other day and saw the vibration, he asked me if my clutch was slipping.
Well anyways will wait until the next maintenance to look at this issue with Porsche, would like to know if you had your issue fixed and how?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts