Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of these DIY videos. I replaced the rear axle oil and made a video about it.

As always, my disclaimer: This is a DIY on my own Porsche Macan S. This video only serves as an illustration of my own experience changing the oil in the rear axle and is not meant to be used as guideline or instructions on how to change fluids or repair the components of your own vehicle.. If you want to change your own fluids, use the repair manual as a guide or seek professional expertise.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good diy tutorial. You can cut the cost in half by replacing just the drain plug (they are expensive even by Porsche standards) and using the Audi VAG oil. It’s the same as Porsche with different sticker.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
@Santirx nice job and video. I’m glad your close and getting all that training on your 2015 S you’ll have all the bugs worked out when I get to TX. so no issues working on my 2015 S.
Just kidding brother!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
How many miles before it needs to be changed?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Couple trains of thought regarding PM in the car and truck world. Some do it by the book, others think there is never too much preventive maintenance and they enjoy the work as a way to bond with the car. I prefer @Santirx method. The other variable, especially with a used car, is you're never sure whether the final drive has been submerged in water so best to change it out to be sure.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@muncie, you are absolutely correct. In the past, I used to get bored of cars in 2 to 3 years and would end up trading my cars every 3 to 4 years. Initially I really like my Macan, but at some point I started to feel the same way as I always do. I even stop posting and logging into the Macan Forum (for 1 or 2 years I think). My love for the Macan was rekindled when I changed my audio system and started doing my own DIYs.

As far as manufacturer recommended PM frequency, I always take those as the top of the frequency range, not the optimal frequency. Therefore, I'm always very skeptical of them. I always feel like they are designed to degrade the car faster.

BTW... my car is currently at 112,000 miles. All of them driven by ME! (well, except the first few miles... :) )

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great video. Thank you. One question. Anyone add a mixture of Ford Friction Modifier oil and transfer case oil to their transfer case? Have heard this is suggested. Thanks
I have heard this too, for failing transfer cases. I'd be adamant to put this in mine as it is working well after 114K miles (knocking on wood for us superstitious ones... :) ).

This specific thread is for the rear axle oil change though.

I made a video for my transfer case oil replacement here: https://youtu.be/ixRDDp4cDqs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.