Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You think Porsche will take the Macan racing? I made a post about the 911 Safari Porsche is considering for emerging markets but it got me thinking about Porsche and the Dakar rally, why not take the Macan to Dakar? We've been told over and over again the Macan is a REAL Porsche, if the 911 can tackle Dakar why not the Macan? It certainly has the credentials and the components. It won't mean a thing for sales but who really cares ;)

I'm pretty positive Porsche has never fielded a Dakar team of Cayennes...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think we'll see some videos of the Macan going around the Nurburgring but I don't think we'll see too many of them on the local track

I have seen a Cayenne Turbo S on my local track before

Dam fast for such a big car.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Porsche ran the Cayenne in the Transsyberia Rally, and offered a production version in tribute to their success there.

Rod Millen takes Transsyberia Rally 2007 - Autoblog

Probably an event not as famous as the Paris-Dakar, but when Rod Millen commented that it was the greatest challenge of his motorsports career, I think that gives the event a huge amount of credibility.

Note also that Porsche ran the 959 supercar in the Paris-Dakar event in '86:

I don't know if we'll see the Macan in any factory racing action, given that Porsche is consumed now with their return to LeMans prototype racing with the 919 this year, as well as their 991 RSR for the GT class.

That's a lot of racing for the factory to support.

Reactions: Louie Zoi

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed, good post @whoosh. My line of thinking is that Porsche has always maintained that their forays into mainstream segments was for the purpose of funding their sports car and racing programs.

Now it doesn't have to be a factory backed team, those Cayennes that ran transsyberia were actual production Cayennes that were tarted up to go rallying. I'd say that's more likely than a factory backed team.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Agreed, I think a privateer is probably the most likely way that we would see a Macan in racing action. I'd bet the factory would give some support as well. they could rally the thing if it wasn't so heavy, and if the FIA regs weren't so ridiculous now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.