Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Macan S - SportChrono
48 Posts
Thank you for your two videos. Can't wait for when you push de gas on, is the sound "brap" more than original muffler ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow sounds good ! So what we had to do is, remove the muffler and put an empty pipe that's all ?

No error code after that ? Or we have to reprogram something ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, what you are describing is straight piping. I would not suggest that. It would be very loud and you would probably have some droning. I would Add some small aggressive type muffler; a single to double chamber. The muffler will basically allow sound to bounce around in it. When sound frequencies reverse and go back at each other they cancel themselves and that reduces the hummmmmm or muffler sound drone to some extent.

On the Macan you have a turbo that downpipes to a cat. Since all work is after the cat no errors are generated. No smog issues etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, what you are describing is straight piping. I would not suggest that. It would be very loud and you would probably have some droning. I would Add some small aggressive type muffler; a single to double chamber. The muffler will basically allow sound to bounce around in it. When sound frequencies reverse and go back at each other they cancel themselves and that reduces the hummmmmm or muffler sound drone to some extent.

On the Macan you have a turbo that downpipes to a cat. Since all work is after the cat no errors are generated. No smog issues etc.

Oups my bad, If I understand, all we have to do is:
- remove the OEM muffler
-put a mini muffler like this one

And that's it ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yup, or a small one or two chamber muffler which would should still sound very aggressive. If you go the route I went, you would also keep the stock tips which I liked better than just about everything but higher end carbon fibers (like $200/tip).

Total cost for me was <$40 parts and $220 in muffler shop labor vs. about 2k. Then I added Noico sound insulation in the entire spare tire and battery area to reduce cruising volume which is noticeably vs stock quiet. That was about $60 and took about 3 hours for me to install. It has to pressed/rolled down and cut to fit. If you went with a two chamber yo may be able to skip that. I went small cause I can add a larger muffler if needed caused the pipe can just be shortened and new one plopped in. As is, I am 98.2% satisfied. (y)

In my opinion, this is a mod one can certainly do if you want a more sporty exhaust note and get 95% the same experience as a $2k package. However, it is not as pretty. Not chromed or polished etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Jack, question on the most recent video you uploaded, was the windows down or up? Would like to know how cabin sound is like with all windows up

·
Registered
94 Posts
That was windows up and phone by the sunroof roof crack open in the little up state you can do. With windows closed it sounds the same but...ah... lower volume and a little more bass lower tone. Same with downshifting burbles in sport mode.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is sweet. Hey Jack, can you get a clip of what it sounds like downshifting at higher RPMs? Wondering if this makes the pops and burbles more audible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MUCH more audible but don’t have any clips. That should be a easy vid to do cause I can do it at 15 or 20 mph and it is super noticeable even then. Just cruising thru the neighborhood if you in automatic and sport mode hold higher end of 2nd gear rpm range and let off gas feels exciting. Lol. Burble burble

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks Jack. Looking forward to it. Out of curiosity, does it sound anything like this?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nope, you would only get that on a cold start and... That to me that video sounds like a cold start rev session on a turbo. So, 3.6 vs 3 L.

Mine sounds very much like this which is a warm session; Random GTS reving and driving.

But my video is much more awesome as I am in the middle of a parking lot with the phone on the ground and like 20 mph wind looking like a weirdo reving his car. Lol

So, this is a mine link> ((Jacks warm rev) a tuned S. The phone sound clip quality/sounds freakn’ awful to me, but does sounds like the GTS above (listen especially at about 45 secs in above video/ the tones match - kinda lower, kinda a wee hollow/deeper and not raspy) in actuality. If you sorta double pump at high rev and hold / release near red line rev like they did you could get burbles. That GTS video is about what you could expect to get on a S with this mod.

So, this sounds like that. I was in no way able to capture down shifting burbles. If windows are open you hear wind. I’d have to start the car, tape my phone down in the trunk area or something. That falls in the "too much trouble" category. (y) Hope it helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Jack, thanks for taking the time with all of your replies and information. Outstanding job and a true asset to the community.

Reactions: petesbimmer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just did a muffler delete and added the two straight trough mufflers like @Jack Trouble and this the result, very happy, if i could go back, maybe go bigger on the resonators to quiet it a little bit, especially on idle

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awesome. How much did it run you Pete?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Day 2 of post muffler delete, wife hates it, said car was too loud on cold start in the garage of her work place :(. Anyone have recommendations of an aftermarket muffler that would quiet it close to stock? I really only care about hearing the brap during shift tbh, willing to scarifice the loudness. Just like a nice deep and throaty sound.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear that the wife isn't on board. How often does she drive it? Perhaps some sound deadening like Jack did might be in order. Do you have any video of the shift braps?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts