Porsche Macan Forum banner

Macan HVAC fan-vent whistling noise

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PTIM 
#1 ·
Today, as I started to drive, I heard a quiet whistling noise coming from the vents. It persisted for about a minute and then I tried turning the fan all the way down until it was off. The whistling immediately stopped. This has happened once or twice in the past couple weeks. Always when I 1st begin to drive that day.

If I do nothing, it stops after 1-2 minutes.

Anyone experience this?

I checked & all front vents are fully open.

#2 ·
I think it’s the fan motor. My old BMW has this whistling noise intermittently, sometimes getting louder at higher fan speeds.

#3 ·
I had the same issue on my 17S. It happened on one side or the other.....turning off the fan on one side isolated which side was whistling. When it happened, I tried running the fan at full speed, then very low speed to dislodge whatever got caught in the ductwork. Many times I was successful, other times, I turned down the fan and lived with the sound (no choice). Not much the dealer could do...it's likely dust sticking to one of the flaps in the system. The other sound I had to live with is a groaning sound when the flaps opened and closed...came from the front of the console area. I get that sound on my 20 as well. Typically, this happens when the outside temperature is around your setting temperature.

#9 ·
I had the same issue on my 17S. It happened on one side or the other.....turning off the fan on one side isolated which side was whistling. When it happened, I tried running the fan at full speed, then very low speed to dislodge whatever got caught in the ductwork. Many times I was successful, other times, I turned down the fan and lived with the sound (no choice). Not much the dealer could do...it's likely dust sticking to one of the flaps in the system. The other sound I had to live with is a groaning sound when the flaps opened and closed...came from the front of the console area. I get that sound on my 20 as well. Typically, this happens when the outside temperature is around your setting temperature.
it only happens to mine when I drive....when idling and I depress the gas pedal I cant produce the same hissing sound from my right aircon vent

#5 · (Edited)
[/QUOTE]
Today, as I started to drive, I heard a quiet whistling noise coming from the vents. It persisted for about a minute and then I tried turning the fan all the way down until it was off. The whistling immediately stopped. This has happened once or twice in the past couple weeks. Always when I 1st begin to drive that day.

If I do nothing, it stops after 1-2 minutes.

Anyone experience this?

I checked & all front vents are fully open.
Ours does the same at start-up when fan comes on at higher Climate control temp settings. Took it in and dealer said nothing was wrong, and said to just turn it down, lol!

#6 ·
Are you able to figure out what tune the fan is whistling? Sorry. Couldn't resist.

#7 ·
I don't think I can reproduce the nose at will for the dealer & it is out of warranty anyway.

If it persists I will need to do something about it.

Maybe if I turn fan off & then on it will stop. Hard to know since it does not last longer than 1-2 min. now anyways & does not do it every day.

#8 ·
I had this issue today In the morning on my first start...it was the passenger side vent. Turned the airflow down to off, then back on, and it went away. It was particularly humid here and I suspect it could be some excess condensation working it’s way out the airway. The other two times I started and drove the car today it hasn’t come back.

Reactions: wspollack