Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like it is not reinstalled correctly. (After collision repair & new hood.)

2 missing fasteners have no corresponding hole to secure that section.
In addition to all the edges NOT fitting tightly to the hood, that center area with the large “vents” is ‘distorted/bent’ and does not have any retainers in that area by design.

I think the insulator is supposed to fit tightly & conform to the underside of the hood & it does not.

(See my photos)

There is a reason for those openings/vents in the center & whatever that function is, it is being defeated.

I searched to find a clear photo of this insulator pad installed & no luck.

Diagram, not a photo of it in place:
Insulator Pad - Porsche (95B-863-831-A)

The clips:
Insulator Pad Clip - Porsche (1T0-863-727)

Closest I can find is this pic on MF post #6
underside hood cover 1.jpg underside hood cover 2.jpg underside hood cover 3.jpg underside hood cover 4.jpg underside hood cover 5.jpg underside hood cover 6.jpg

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see the Macan in the MF post I liked has a very different hood insulator pad! Same look as the Sunset Porsche Parts diagram which says it fits my MY2016 Turbo. Porsche must have changed that part. Mine is grey & the edge closest to front bumper is a completely different shape. I wonder why it was changed. Anyway, I still don't think mine was loose & hanging like it is now or I would have noticed over the 5 years.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Relevant details?

2015 Macan S
Thanks!

My MY2016 is grey & yours is black. It is the same shape, however.
Unlike the new ones.

When I view your photo full size, I see a much better conforming to the hood underside. Especially the 2 holes/vents near the center which seem collapsed, bent, distorted on mine now.

I also see that there is no adhesive & it is held on only by the clips.
I can’t tell if you are missing any clips.

I am missing 2 clips as shown in my photos 3 & 4. But, there does not seem to be a corresponding hole in the hood to accept those clips.

I also see yours also does not touch the hood on some of the edges/corners. Probably fine & if it were not for the bent, distorted large center slits/holes on mine & missing clips, I would not have noticed a problem.

Can you tell what on your hood is aligned with those 2 large center holes? Is it to allow air flow somewhere?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, the two holes align with the air passage that starts at the top middle of the first picture above which feeds the two holes in the middle of the pad [and also the two ports on either side of the "pad" above the air intakes for the engine].

The two black sections are the cut-out slots that feed the air to the holes in the pad.

I've never taken the time to consider something as basic as this "pad" before but like everything Porsche, it's not as simple as it might look at first sight. Nor is it quite as neat as I'd thought before I looked at it closely, sigh.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found an eBay photo of the Macan hood underside!

Many air channels/holes!

eBay Macan hood underside.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
The airflow is hard to work out. It looks as though the main flow is from the two front holes through to the two pairs of lateral holes that feed the engine air intakes. The two small central holes in the pad [and their metal slots] might be there to feed a small amount of air on to the plastic thingy covering the engine but this seems unlikely. I wonder if their purpose might be to pick up air from the engine compartment to feed to the engine air intakes when the louvres are shut in front of the engine?

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
IIRC, the engine intake air pathway goes up through some channels near the hood release
lever, then into the hood, where it is ducted to the air filters on either side of the V6 engine.

See the intercoolers on the left & right - that look like radiators?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting ... so you're saying that the air that comes out of the grid that surrounds the release lever [and feeds into the hood], doesn't come through the the louvres but is drawn in somewhere near the two arrows in your last pic, near the intercoolers? That would shoot down my theory about the purpose of the two central vent/slots in the middle of the "pad" but it opens up the question of what their purpose might be, again.

Just thought of something related ... If air is being scooped up so low down to feed the engine, is there a chance that it could scoop up water when fording low creeks? I ask this because I had an experience some time back with a Renault, where it surprisingly stalled during a low level creek crossing because it had a very low air intake to feed it's carbys.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All this supports my concern that the openings in the pad are there for a good engineering reason & the fact that mine (After hood replacement) are no longer properly fitted & are now ‘scrunched’ into much smaller slits…is a concern. It is not just a cosmetic picky complaint. I have this issue pending with Penske Collision repair.

I was thinking they may have installed the cover incorrectly on the new hood & that explains why 2 clips/fasteners are missing & there is no corresponding hole in the hood & how the main center vents are scrunched into slits.

However, looking at the 7 clips that form a big “V”….and the 2 clips in the front closest to the bumper….I do not see how the pad is in the wrong place.

Puzzling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Given they've got 80+ years of experience with air flow through engine bays there's probably a good reason for those slots. At the trivial end, it could be for something as mundane as reducing noise in the hood.

Some judicious work with a sharp blade and a little packing material could sort out the problem here I reckon. The edge nearer the front of the car is slightly raised relative to the rear edge and has a little padding in it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depending on what solution, if any, is forthcoming from Penske, I may try DIY with some double sided tape. Force the pad to better conform to the hood underside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This shot gives a better idea of the way the pad is shaped. The front is to the right. It appears to be much more formed than the replacement which looks quite flat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting ... so you're saying that the air that comes out of the grid that surrounds the release lever [and feeds into the hood], doesn't come through the the louvres but is drawn in somewhere near the two arrows in your last pic, near the intercoolers? That would shoot down my theory about the purpose of the two central vent/slots in the middle of the "pad" but it opens up the question of what their purpose might be, again.

Just thought of something related ... If air is being scooped up so low down to feed the engine, is there a chance that it could scoop up water when fording low creeks? I ask this because I had an experience some time back with a Renault, where it surprisingly stalled during a low level creek crossing because it had a very low air intake to feed it's carbys.
You were right air comes in through the louvers out of the grid and into the hood which I think is exactly what is being shown.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This shot gives a better idea of the way the pad is shaped. The front is to the right. It appears to be much more formed than the replacement which looks quite flat.
Thank you for posting this photo from this angle!

I checked mine from side view & it looks exactly like this photo!
So, my center, large openings/vent holes appear as a slits when I stand in front. They are not distorted/crushed, as I had thought! The 2 center openings are open, just angled, as clearly shown in your side angle photo. Maybe mine WAS reinstalled correctly!

Do you have any missing clips, due to no corresponding on hood underside to attach them?
As I showed, I have 2.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To those reading this who have a newer Macan with the new style hood insulator pad.

(See attached photo)
Does your new style pad have 2 large openings in the center, like my MY2016 & acronymous' MY2015 have?
new hood insulator pad photo.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
No missing clips on mine at the two places you've shown.

Ooops, I should possibly have reduced this but maybe the detail is important.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You were right air comes in through the louvers out of the grid and into the hood which I think is exactly what is being shown.
Yes, though I might have read oquinLu's post a little too quickly. I thought he was suggesting that airflow was according to the red arrows but they were clearly there to indicate how to remove the front of the body work.

What's interesting is that all the air that goes into the engine has to pass through the hood, so the slots/holes in the pad must be important in some situation but it's very hard to figure out just when.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts