Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The headlight washer is an automatic system, that activates every 3rd or 4th (can't recall but it's specified in the owner's manual) time you use your windshield washers. It's a spray jet only, no wiper. ..
Pg 99 in my (MY 2016) manual. "After every 10 WIPES..."

I interpret this to mean that even if you do not use the windshield washer spray, every 10 wipes of the windshield, the headlights are SPRAYED. If it required 10 SPRAYS of the windshield to activate the automatic headlight cleaning system, it would virtually never activate. Who sprays their windshield 10x? If you do, WTF are you driving through? <GRIN>

·
Registered
467 Posts
Pg 99 in my (MY 2016) manual. "After every 10 WIPES..."

I interpret this to mean that even if you do not use the windshield washer spray, every 10 wipes of the windshield, the headlights are SPRAYED. If it required 10 SPRAYS of the windshield to activate the automatic headlight cleaning system, it would virtually never activate. Who sprays their windshield 10x? If you do, WTF are you driving through? <GRIN>
After every 10 WIPES??? Does that not drain the washer reservoir somewhat quickly? If you are driving in moderate rain and the wipers sweep every 2 seconds, that means the washer is activated 3 times/minute or 180 times/hour. Even if the spray is only half an ounce per headlight, it will use 1.4 gallons/hour! :eek:
Is that possible? :confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
This 10 wipe thing might be the case. I recall one of my BMW did this. Was annoying as I'd be driving along and I could see the spray off the headlights, and yes it killed the washer reservoir supply.
I ended up pulling the fuse.
Not enough driving in the rain to test this yet.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
After every 10 WIPES??? Does that not drain the washer reservoir somewhat quickly? If you are driving in moderate rain and the wipers sweep every 2 seconds, that means the washer is activated 3 times/minute or 180 times/hour. Even if the spray is only half an ounce per headlight, it will use 1.4 gallons/hour! :eek:
Is that possible? :confused:
That is an excellent point! I suspect the manual is WRONG. IDK when the headlight washer spray actually activates automatically.

Someone needs to stand outside their car in a rainstorm & test this. LOL.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's not 10 wipes. It's 10 sprays of the windshield washers. Geez guys, read the manual.

And yes, on a typical winter trip from my home to Toronto in the winter with slush, I could easily activate the wiper spray a 50 times. That means the lights would be squirted at 5 times.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's not 10 wipes. It's 10 sprays of the windshield washers. Geez guys, read the manual.

And yes, on a typical winter trip from my home to Toronto in the winter with slush, I could easily activate the wiper spray a 50 times. That means the lights would be squirted at 5 times.
Actually the manual does say "every 10 wipes" as iconoclast mentioned, however he left out the part that it's only when using the windshield washer system (wiper stalk pulled towards the wheel).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Now that's all as clear as mud:confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Actually the manual does say "every 10 wipes" as iconoclast mentioned, however he left out the part that it's only when using the windshield washer system (wiper stalk pulled towards the wheel).
And it only sprays when the headlights are physically illuminated, so if you wash 10 times in daylight, the system won't activate. I don't think the wipe count is stored in memory, as I don't recall the washer activating when I start my car in the dark (I use my windshield washer once or twice a day).

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My manual does not say that. Where do you see that? It makes sense & may be true but, I don't see it printed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Page 98 of the online manual:

5 – Front windshield wiper and washer system
Pull wiper stalk towards the steering wheel.
The washer system wipes and sprays while the stalk is pulled towards the steering wheel.
When the wiper stalk is released, a few drying wipes are performed.
After every 10 wipes on the windshield, the headlights are cleaned automatically.

Page 99 of the online manual:

Headlight washer system
The washer sprays only while low beam or high beam is activated.

Press button C under the wiper stalk.
After every 10 wipes on the windshield, the headlights are cleaned automatically as well. The wipe count starts from zero again when the low beam is switched off.

Link to the online manual: Page 001 | 2014-2016 Macan Manual | Porsche iManuals

·
Registered
162 Posts
Page 98 of the online manual:

5 – Front windshield wiper and washer system
Pull wiper stalk towards the steering wheel.
The washer system wipes and sprays while the stalk is pulled towards the steering wheel.
After every 10 wipes on the windshield, the headlights are cleaned automatically.

Page 99 of the online manual:

Headlight washer system
The washer sprays only while low beam or high beam is activated.

Press button C under the wiper stalk.
After every 10 wipes on the windshield, the headlights are cleaned automatically as well. The wipe count starts from zero again when the low beam is switched off.

Link to the online manual: Page 001 | 2014-2016 Macan Manual | Porsche iManuals
Exactly. I knew I should have included a link or screenshot in my reply.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
OK, my paper manual says exactly the same things on p.98 & p.99.

Paper manual or online manuals absolutely do not state: "it's only when using the windshield washer system (wiper stalk pulled towards the wheel)"

But, I suspect that probably is true. Sort of makes sense.

Does not seem likely that headlight washer will spray, every 10 wipes, when driving in the rain, with headlights on... bc you'd drain the reservoir on a long rainy drive. So, seems more likely that you must also activate the windshield washers & then after 10 wipes, the headlights get sprayed. But if you do not spray the windshield again perhaps even though the wipers remain on, the headlights do not keep getting a spray every 10 wipes, which would also drain the reservoir.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
A few days ago just b4 I washed my car I decided to test the headlight washer system. I was unable to get it to work! Front wipers & rear wipers & wash for each worked fine. I pressed button "C" under the wiper stalk & nothing. So, I have proved that with the headlights off, it will not function, LOL. (I had forgotten the the manual clearly states that) I would have needed to turn headlight switch from Auto to On.
I will test next time I wash the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe it goes on after the windshield wipers go back and forth 10 times, not every 10 times. Also, don't do what I just did to see if I really had headlight washers. It was an overcast day so my headlights came on and I pressed the headlight washer button and it covered the entire font end with soap suds. As it wasn't raining, I had to wash my clean car again!!! So now I know I do have headlight washers that pop out of the lower black plastic piece in the headlight assemblies.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
I believe it goes on after the windshield wipers go back and forth 10 times, not every 10 times. Also, don't do what I just did to see if I really had headlight washers. It was an overcast day so my headlights came on and I pressed the headlight washer button and it covered the entire font end with soap suds. As it wasn't raining, I had to wash my clean car again!!! So now I know I do have headlight washers that pop out of the lower black plastic piece in the headlight assemblies.

I don't think so. I've driven my Macan in the rain many times and the wipers have made many,
many 10X back & forth motions - no headlamp washer behavior has been observed. If/when the
headlamp washers are deployed, there's no question they're working! BIG SPRAY!!!

For those members who feel they're useless, in northern areas where winter salt & wet spray cover
the vehicle, the washers provide a useful service - cleaning the headlight lenses so that the driver
can see in the dark. Previously, one would have to keep a rag in the car and wipe the headlights
off before driving in the dark in the winter time.

BTW, I believe the newer Macans (2018?, 2019?) do not come equipped with headlamp washers.

;)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I don't think so. I've driven my Macan in the rain many times and the wipers have made many,
many 10X bath & forth motions - no headlamp washer behavior has been observed. If/when the
headlamp washers are deployed, there's no question they're working! BIG SPRAY!!!

For those members who feel they're useless, in northern areas where winter salt & wet spray cover
the vehicle, the washers provide a useful service - cleaning the headlight lenses so that the driver
can see in the dark. Previously, one would have to keep a rag in the car and wipe the headlights
off before driving in the dark in the winter time.

BTW, I believe the newer Macans (2018?, 2019?) do not come equipped with headlamp washers.

;)
Yep, I have never seen the headlight washers pop up, and we've driven thousands of miles in the rain by now.

Regarding any changes, I can't speak to the 2019 or 2020 models, but on our 2018 S, this is listed in the "Lighting Systems" section of the standard equipment: "Bi-Xenon headlights with dynamic headlight leveling, headlight cleaning system, and integrated 4-point LED daytime running lights."

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan Turbo. I read my owner's manual, and on page 98, the manual reads as follows:

5 - Front windshield wiper and washer system
Pull wiper stalk towards the steering wheel. The washer system wipes and sprays while the stalk is pulled towards the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I have seen my headlight washers come on once or twice. I assumed it was tied to the number of times the windshield washers are used, as is the case with some BMW products. And it may be tied to the headlights also being on as GoBobbie mentioned above.

If the headlights were washed with every 10 sweeps of the wiper blades, you would soon be out of washer fluid. Wonder if there's a translation error in the owner's manual?

61 - 80 of 94 Posts