Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
No i don't use windshield washers when it is raining and we don't have snow in NorCal. :)

Should be an option like the orange reflectors. I am just glad those are not in the headlights.

I've had headlight washers in all my cars and never used them once.
Most headlight washers automatically engage after a certain number of windshield washes. So you probably have used them, but didn't know it! Unless you've never used your windshield washers. . .

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You can't NOT use them. Unless you have never used your windshield washers 10 times in your ownership. Which in wintery Cowtown is hard to believe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had them on another car and found the lights significantly brighter, since there was much less buildup of salt and sand on the headlights with the automatic wash. Especially on the highway, which can be a corridor of dirty mist in the winter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've only had the Macan out on fairer days, and even last winter, the roads were bone dry most of the season. I haven't even had the opportunity to use my wipers yet *ducking for cover* :p

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where do you live OP? If you live where you get a real winter and actually go out and do stuff like skiing, the headlight washers are basically a necessity. Compared with the exterior headlight wipers of old Volvos and Saabs, I think the Macan washers are very slick and discrete and work quite well.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Being in Sunny AZ, I rarely use my windshield wipers & use the windshield washers even less. I had been wondering who uses the headlight wipers/washers. Now I see some cases in areas with many insects & also winter conditions. I don't know how I would even know if my headlights needed cleaning. (w/o getting out of the car & looking at them directly.)
On those occasions when I drive in the rain, I usually do not need the washers but, when I do I usually activate it 1-2x.

Per the manual (p. 99 MY 2016) every 10 wipes of the windshield, the headlight "are cleaned" automatically. I'm assuming this means the headlights are WIPED, not sprayed with WW fluid.

I think you must press button "C" under the wiper stalk while headlights are ON in order to activate the headlight spray.

So, I probably had the headlight wipers run w/o my knowledge but never the headlight washers.

Am I correct?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I thought it was just a wash, no wipe. I found the specific button on the bottom of the stalk to activate it. I can where it can useful here in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I thought it was just a wash, no wipe. ...
Hmmmnnn

If true, I don't see how it can be useful. How are bugs or dirt removed with just ww solution & no mechanical action?

I Googled for videos & car up with nothing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hmmmnnn

If true, I don't see how it can be useful. How are bugs or dirt removed with just ww solution & no mechanical action?

Bugs, no. Salt, etc. in winter, yes. Typically, this feature is deleted on NA models but glad I have it. I had one VW that had it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Maybe it is the force of driving into rain? Similar to using a hose with a nozzle that adds force to the water?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think the 'force' is similar to the power in the windshield washer nozzles. I think it's required in Europe, but not here so that's why most cars don't have them. A lot of German cars delete the option for NA but still have the faux nozzle covers. I'm still new to Porsche but not to other VAG cars. Bean counters!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmmnnn

They are talking about windshield wipes, not headlights; those are only sprayed with solution.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
They are talking about windshield wipes, not headlights; those are only sprayed with solution.
I am talking about the headlights not the windshield.
I had thought (apparently incorrectly) that the HEADLIGHT cleaning system was a pop up sprayer followed by a wiper.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am talking about the headlights not the windshield.

I had thought (apparently incorrectly) that the HEADLIGHT cleaning system was a pop up sprayer followed by a wiper.

The headlight washer is an automatic system, that activates every 3rd or 4th (can't recall but it's specified in the owner's manual) time you use your windshield washers. It's a spray jet only, no wiper. I don't recall if there's a way to activate it manually.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The headlight washer is an automatic system, that activates every 3rd or 4th (can't recall but it's specified in the owner's manual) time you use your windshield washers. It's a spray jet only, no wiper. I don't recall if there's a way to activate it manually.
That makes a lot more sense than the other poster who suggested the headlight washer is activated with every 10th wipe of the windshield.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Rainy season is about to start, to greasy road spray is about to happen, so YES, will be using them for the next 6 months.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I absolutely love the headlight spray. In the past, without it I can remember stopping to rub snow over the headlights so I could see. My experience is the washers do a good job of clearing the muck off the lights, and they are visibly brighter after a spray. Harder to see it happen in the Macan, with my RX-8 there was a huge spray coming up when they activated.

BTW, as far as I know Rain-X uses distilled water in their windshield wash, so less likely to spot. Here in the winter it would be hard to tell the spots from the salt coating the car.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts