Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's the info:

Just for clarification. I understand that you can trigger the headlight sprayers to activate manually, but if the wipers are on, does the above instruction posted by @gobobbie mean that the headlights get sprayed every ten wipes of the windshield wipers? Sorry but I am confused.

Seems like that would use a lot of fluid

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just for clarification. I understand that you can trigger the headlight sprayers to activate manually, but if the wipers are on, does the above instruction posted by @gobobbie mean that the headlights get sprayed every ten wipes of the windshield wipers? Sorry but I am confused.

Seems like that would use a lot of fluid
I think it's only every 10 times you've used the windscreen washer with the headlights on. It hasn't yet triggered the auto headlamp wash and my car is 6 months old so I would think I would have noticed it by now if it were counting the times the headlights are off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just assumed the nozzle was fixed and fired up at the headlamp, like on most cars. Had not heard or seen that they pop up like sprinkler heads. LOL
Quick question:
My windshield washers suddenly stopped working. I can hear the pump when I activate the washer but there is no spray .The reservoir does not indicate low fluid level. I cannot even see where the spray nozzles are.
The rear window washers work fine.
Could someone tell me where the nozzles for the windshield are?
I feel really stupid asking this...:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is one option I never use. I have it on my Boxster S. One day I got my car washed and did a Zaino job, it looked beautiful. I accidentally pressed the headlight washer button and got sudsy windshield washer fluid all over the front of my car. I didn't need that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe it goes on after the windshield wipers go back and forth 10 times, not every 10 times. Also, don't do what I just did to see if I really had headlight washers. It was an overcast day so my headlights came on and I pressed the headlight washer button and it covered the entire font end with soap suds. As it wasn't raining, I had to wash my clean car again!!! So now I know I do have headlight washers that pop out of the lower black plastic piece in the headlight assemblies.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
I believe it goes on after the windshield wipers go back and forth 10 times, not every 10 times. Also, don't do what I just did to see if I really had headlight washers. It was an overcast day so my headlights came on and I pressed the headlight washer button and it covered the entire font end with soap suds. As it wasn't raining, I had to wash my clean car again!!! So now I know I do have headlight washers that pop out of the lower black plastic piece in the headlight assemblies.

I don't think so. I've driven my Macan in the rain many times and the wipers have made many,
many 10X back & forth motions - no headlamp washer behavior has been observed. If/when the
headlamp washers are deployed, there's no question they're working! BIG SPRAY!!!

For those members who feel they're useless, in northern areas where winter salt & wet spray cover
the vehicle, the washers provide a useful service - cleaning the headlight lenses so that the driver
can see in the dark. Previously, one would have to keep a rag in the car and wipe the headlights
off before driving in the dark in the winter time.

BTW, I believe the newer Macans (2018?, 2019?) do not come equipped with headlamp washers.

;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't think so. I've driven my Macan in the rain many times and the wipers have made many,
many 10X bath & forth motions - no headlamp washer behavior has been observed. If/when the
headlamp washers are deployed, there's no question they're working! BIG SPRAY!!!

For those members who feel they're useless, in northern areas where winter salt & wet spray cover
the vehicle, the washers provide a useful service - cleaning the headlight lenses so that the driver
can see in the dark. Previously, one would have to keep a rag in the car and wipe the headlights
off before driving in the dark in the winter time.

BTW, I believe the newer Macans (2018?, 2019?) do not come equipped with headlamp washers.

;)
Yep, I have never seen the headlight washers pop up, and we've driven thousands of miles in the rain by now.

Regarding any changes, I can't speak to the 2019 or 2020 models, but on our 2018 S, this is listed in the "Lighting Systems" section of the standard equipment: "Bi-Xenon headlights with dynamic headlight leveling, headlight cleaning system, and integrated 4-point LED daytime running lights."

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan Turbo. I read my owner's manual, and on page 98, the manual reads as follows:

5 - Front windshield wiper and washer system
Pull wiper stalk towards the steering wheel. The washer system wipes and sprays while the stalk is pulled towards the steering wheel.
When the wiper stalk is released, a few drying wipes are performed.
After every 10 wipes on the windshield, the headlights are cleaned automatically.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I have seen my headlight washers come on once or twice. I assumed it was tied to the number of times the windshield washers are used, as is the case with some BMW products. And it may be tied to the headlights also being on as GoBobbie mentioned above.

If the headlights were washed with every 10 sweeps of the wiper blades, you would soon be out of washer fluid. Wonder if there's a translation error in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
941 Posts
If the headlights were washed with every 10 sweeps of the wiper blades, you would soon be out of washer fluid. Wonder if there's a translation error in the owner's manual?
Excellent points. And I wonder whether the wipers have to be in a certain mode, e.g., we pretty much leave the wipers in auto-sensing (as opposed to low or high) mode when it's raining.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
I have seen my headlight washers come on once or twice. I assumed it was tied to the number of times the windshield washers are used, as is the case with some BMW products. And it may be tied to the headlights also being on as GoBobbie mentioned above.

translation error???

vas???!!!

I nearly fell out of my chair!!! We're talking Porsche here. Could it be? (most certainly it could!)
Another interpretation might be that after every 10 swipes when engaging the windscreen washer system
it also gives a blast to the headlamps.

I still do not recall the headlamps getting a wash automatically. Only when I press the special button.

;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I tested this the other evening on my 2018 Macan... switched on the engine, kept car in park, found the button under the wiper stalk, opened the driver door while sitting in the drivers seat, stuck my head out to take a peek, and pushed the button. BIG mistake keeping my head out - I got blasted in the face by some of the stray spray!!! Ugh!

But, it works.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts