Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes Black GTS taking the left ;)

:)

I guess that was you taking a left as I went by :)
Thanks, I installed the Euro taillights a few months ago. I’m really happy with the look

Soon I’ll complete the rear blackout by painting by turbo tips black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes Black GTS taking the left ;)

:)
I like how your GTS is lower than the Turbo.
Is it stock, or have you lowered it?

I recently bought the Cete lowering module. Hoping to install it soon.
Can’t wait to lower my ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes mine is stock ! your turbo will look awesome lowered for sure :)

-Mike

I like how your GTS is lower than the Turbo.
Is it stock, or have you lowered it?

I recently bought the Cete lowering module. Hoping to install it soon.
Can’t wait to lower my ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all!
Happy to join this forum. I live in Houston Texas and own a 2015 Macan S since december 2019. I was very interested by this thread as I may return to Europe before the summer next year and I plan taking the car with me, I was lucky with this unit and don’t want to leave it behind. I talked to a guy in Spain that does the conversion of the rear lights (red to amber when turning) for 3.000 USD. Is the conversion you guys are taking here equivalent? Is the overall cost similar? Thank you so much!

Juan

·
Premium Member
6,912 Posts
$3000 to convert red to amber? That’s stiff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, seems it is quite a bit of work. But as I was reading this I thought, may be I can get it done while in the US for less and even get some back from my US original lights here which would be useless for anyone in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Hi all!
Happy to join this forum. I live in Houston Texas and own a 2015 Macan S since december 2019. I was very interested by this thread as I may return to Europe before the summer next year and I plan taking the car with me, I was lucky with this unit and don’t want to leave it behind. I talked to a guy in Spain that does the conversion of the rear lights (red to amber when turning) for 3.000 USD. Is the conversion you guys are taking here equivalent? Is the overall cost similar? Thank you so much!

Juan

Huh?!?

If that guy is in Spain - a Macan there would already have the EU taillights.

I ordered a set of EU taillights online in February for less than 460 Euros delivered. That would leave $2500+ to install?
Granted, it takes a few hours... but $2500+? His labor rate must be $500/hour!!!

:oops:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thx for the info!
I saw the pictures in this thread. Is the transformation that you achieved for the reat lights with the red light and amber both on? Or just the long amber turning light in the center?

The guy in Spain said that it was the charge for the client for which they had to investigate it the first time on a Macan, and that cost would be lower but I am expecting around 2.000 USD.

Is anyone aware of a garage in Houston that could take care of it for less than that?

Thank you so much!

Juan

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
The amber is for the directional lighting in the center. Actually, there are both red & yellow LEDs
in that region.

The replacement "kit" is four (4) pieces - inner and outer for left and right sides.

It's not a difficult DYI process if you're handy with tools. Plug & play with the existing wiring harness.
Perhaps the only tricky part was removing (carefully) the rear bumper cover. IIRC, I provided some
installation discussion earlier in this thread.

If you decide to tackle the job yourself, allow an afternoon to complete the project (taking your time).

·
Registered
119 Posts
FYI - rear bumper removal took me about 30-45 minutes when I did my hitch.

@JuanUStoEurope - Stealth Hitch has some excellent instructions on their website for bumper removal. Check here.

@[email protected]>@W Isn't there some coding involved to get the Ecode taillights to work properly?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
FYI - rear bumper removal took me about 30-45 minutes when I did my hitch.

@JuanUStoEurope - Stealth Hitch has some excellent instructions on their website for bumper removal. Check here.

@[email protected]>@W Isn't there some coding involved to get the Ecode taillights to work properly?

Re: bumper cover removal - Yes. After jacking up the rear and placing it on jackstands so the rear wheels can be removed
in order to access the fender liner to remove a few of the bolts to pull the liner back and remove​
the bumper cover bolts - on both sides.​
There are at least a couple of sites walking one through the rear bumper cover removal. Get painter's tape!​
Re: coding for the EU taillights - No. Not needed. (at least not on my 2015 MT).

;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: bumper cover removal - Yes. After jacking up the rear and placing it on jackstands so the rear wheels can be removed
in order to access the fender liner to remove a few of the bolts to pull the liner back and remove​
the bumper cover bolts - on both sides.​
There are at least a couple of sites walking one through the rear bumper cover removal. Get painter's tape!​
Re: coding for the EU taillights - No. Not needed. (at least not on my 2015 MT).

;)
No jacking or wheel removal needed in my experience, but I bet that makes it a heck of a lot easier. Also, the fender liners are REALLY rough and will absolutely shred your knuckles when you're working on the bolts inside if you rub against them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you very much all!

I just came to the Porsche dealer in West Houston to check what they had to say and they don’t even sell the european parts nor install them (as I expected).

Perhaps I can try myself as you say. If any of you live in a 300 mile range from me, happy to go there and give you 500 bugs for the work! I guess with the parts will be around 1.000 USD, and I can still sell my US lights for some dollars.

The red + amber leds in the area still generate me some doubts though. I saw a photo from the european car and it shows a complete amber strip in the middle of the entire device from side to side, with no red lights on. I just want to be sure that the technical inspection in Spain will approve the car.

Thank You!

Juan

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
What year is your Macan? I can speak only for the earlier version without the entire width taillight setup.

The center strip LEDs illuminate EITHER red or amber, depending on what they're being asked to do.

directional - amber only

For example, Suncoast Parts sells the taillights for $569.95.

There's a posting in this thread showing the illumination of the EU units.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi! Mine is a 2015 Macan S. Yes, I saw how the EU car iluminates (no red for direction lights, only amber in the center strip).

That price for the parts sounds good!

Thx

Juan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi! Taking a look at the photos again. Is yours [email protected]>@W acting like photos on post 35#? I mean with amber only in one portion of the central strip or is it like in post 2#?
Attached post 2# here again:

If red lights turn on (and not only the amber flashing) like I understand happens in photo in post 35#, I think it may not pass the exam in Spain.

I also read your details about how to do the change yourself. Does not seem at my reach at first sight.

Thank You!

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, the guy in Spain says he can’t go below 2.000 USD. Original parts included. And I know that what he does gets approved by the local equivalent to DMV in Spain.

I will wait for your answers to my last post (on wether the results that you obtained are aligned with photo on post 2# for EU lights or on post 35#) and will go from there.

Thank you!

Juan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys! Could you please share a video on how your tail lights work after the transformation you did please? So I can share it with the guy in Spain and check if it is the same, or if it is not if it could still be valid to pass the technical inspection in Spain. Thank You very much!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi guys! Could you please share a video on how your tail lights work after the transformation you did please? So I can share it with the guy in Spain and check if it is the same, or if it is not if it could still be valid to pass the technical inspection in Spain. Thank You very much!!
Come on, Juan.. is this a click bait?

Take the car to Spain. I advice by ship.

As you probably know, definitive export for change of residence doesn't need many conditions. Not custom duties, nor VAT, nor gases and homologation. Just ITV.

Lights adaptation should be quite straight forward, as a Macan is an overly popular car sold in Europe for hundreds of thousands.

Go to the ITV of your choice, ask the resident engineer for exactly what you need to do.

Enter in ebay or autodoc, or just go to Porsche. Order the bloody parts - rear lights ?? - and installed them, or get them installed. Go to the ITV. Get the paper.

Be happy.

This is not rocket science, I promise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank You! Trying to get it done here in the US in advance to the move if I can. Seems I could save money.
Yes, those taxes don’t apply for a change of residence if you stayed over a year outside (and you can prove it with official consulate registration) and you own the car ad minimum 6 months prior to the new change of residence (and you can prove it with title and invoices). But in order to avoid the taxes there is a time limit to do everything after the car crosses the border, and we have Covid and also administrators willing to charge as many taxes as they can, so I am trying to anticipate all I can, does that make sense?

Thank You

41 - 60 of 65 Posts