13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is 2014 Macans S in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-KUjwP_a0

start at 0:39

This is 2014 Macan S in Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSXAc9YENog

start at 1:39

Both of them are same and the light looks like a long LED line in the middle of the taillight.

This is 2015 Macan S, I think it is in US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2zypzAuTo

starts at 3:48

It looks like a LED rectangle frame of the tailight.

The light looks different. It is because of different region? or different model of year?

Does anyone know what we will have for 2017 model? And which one do you have on your current Macan?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I think I can shed some light :eek: on this.

Pictures below are from the videos you posted. I know the top picture depicts the red running light line everywhere. The middle picture shows the orange turn signal line used in some countries outside the US. The bottom picture shows the red rectangle that is the turn signals in the US. I know the US DOT has some strict guidelines for the number of square inches of lighting area the turn signal must illuminate (its been posted someone here on MF) so out guess is that is why we get the whole red brake light rectangle as our turn signal also.

As for the 17s, doubt anyone knows but personally doubt they'll change it. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I wonder if the japanese/asian tail lights are plug/play in a us car? I like the amber turn signals. What do euro cars have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone have any idea if we can get the amber turn signal to work here in the US?

I wonder if the Amber bulb is installed on US cars but just doesn't ever get triggered...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Amber turn signals here also in Dubai. It must be down to local regulations in each region. For instance the US Macan models have turn signals (amber) on the bumpers, we dont get those here in Dubai.

Here is the Wiki fact of the day :
Turn signal colour[edit]
Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. The auto industry in the USA voluntarily adopted amber front-turn signals for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[55][56] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[57] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour. Presently, most countries outside of the United States and Canada require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light. Exceptions include Switzerland.[58]

In Canada and the US the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones.[59][60][61] International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals,[62] and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.[62][63][64][65][66]

A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,[67] and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.[68]

There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs.[69]

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Has anyone figured out if US cars can be programmed for amber rear turn signals or if the euro rear lights are plug & play in us cars

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
I actually like the US turning signal, more prominent and unique.

·
Registered
23 Posts
BUMP!

it's been a long time - nobody has information on how to get an amber turn signal setup to work in US spec Macans?
While waiting for my delivery, I researched installing the ROW version. I spoke with the folks at Suncoast and they mentioned the plug is different between the two versions. At a minimum we will have to build a pig tail. If it is anything like the ROW tail lights on the previous generation Q5 there will also be some coding to get them work. You will need access to a PIWIS because the Durametric cannot make any adaptions at this time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know that amber turn signals are an absolute requirement on some regions. In Japan, if you import an American car (or other) without amber, you'll need to add them. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the expense of changing them if there is no requirement.

·
Registered
2015 Macan Turbo
4 Posts
Please don't mind my regurgitating a 3yrs old thread. Has anyone found a set of European spec tail lights with amber turn signals? I've searched and found part number 95B04490012 that might or might not be the right part number. I just can't tell if they have amber turn signals. The prices vary widely and I'm not even sure if they'll fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please don't mind my regurgitating a 3yrs old thread. Has anyone found a set of European spec tail lights with amber turn signals? I've searched and found part number 95B04490012 that might or might not be the right part number. I just can't tell if they have amber turn signals. The prices vary widely and I'm not even sure if they'll fit.
yes, I got my EURO set from suncoastparts.com
They fitted perfectly (no modification needed) but I had them installed at the dealership due to concern of potential coding (I paid $400+tax for the install).
I confirm that they're nicely tinted (just like my original GTS taillights) and the only difference I spotted vs. US original lights are the indicator lights (the middle strip lights-up amber)

Reactions: ImpliedConsent

·
Registered
2015 Macan Turbo
4 Posts
See:

There are two (2) options listed: USA version or Europe / Japan version.
TY. I just sent an email to them inquiring about fit status. I know physically they'll fit, but digitally? Connectors? We'll see. I haven't actually seen anyone run this yet. My COVID-19 boredom.

·
Registered
2015 Macan Turbo
4 Posts
yes, I got my EURO set from suncoastparts.com
They fitted perfectly (no modification needed) but I had them installed at the dealership due to concern of potential coding (I paid $400+tax for the install).
I confirm that they're nicely tinted (just like my original GTS taillights) and the only difference I spotted vs. US original lights are the indicator lights (the middle strip lights-up amber)
You responded as I was responding.. YES!! This is what I want to hear. Did the dealer mention that there was a coding issue? I don't mind going to them, but looking at my OEMs, they look easy to replace.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Forum member Active_Exhaust sold a set of US tail lamps a couple of months ago. IIRC, the
fit was exact - plug & play - he had the dealer do the swap and there was some mention of
'standard' coding.

I think he also posted a clip of the new lights in action.

·
Registered
2015 Macan Turbo
4 Posts
Forum member Active_Exhaust sold a set of US tail lamps a couple of months ago. IIRC, the
fit was exact - plug & play - he had the dealer do the swap and there was some mention of
'standard' coding.
Well, that answered 2 questions, TY: is the red center light still operational w/headlights? Are they combined? Yes to both (as I hoped). It looks great and I'll probably get a set. Suncoast said this is absolute non-returnable item so I've gotta get it right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts