Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently sold our 2016 Macan Turbo to a friend who had a line on a used 2018 GTS; the aesthetics of the GTS appealed to me and i really just wanted a white car so i didn't have to wash it every day. I was spoiled driving a Macan Turbo with a Cobb flash!

I didn't think i'd mind the smaller displacement engine so i made the switch but i had no idea how much less power the GTS has than a Turbo. I didn't even test drive it. I rushed to flash it with the hopes that i would pick up a fair bit more power but it's evident that the GTS is almost maxxed from the factory since it's really just an S with an upgraded flash. I have already spent a few hours on this because i'm rather disappointed with the stock power delivery. Even the wife said "it feels like it's broken compared to the old car."

I started with the Cobb OTS maps. I have spent most of the time on the throttle tables though because that's where i think it's lacking. At partial throttle, it just doesn't have the get up and go that the Turbo does. I spent a few hours last night on something that i am very happy with. If you folks would like to follow along or are interested, feel free to drop me a line!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like the sounds of this. How good are we taking? Would this be something you could help others with who have an OTS Cobb?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Definitely interested in your upgrade. Been running the OTS tune for years and heard lots of positive reports regarding BGB tune but have dragged my feet questioning it’s value. A personal report will be helpful to make a decision. Especially utilizing ACN fuel used in Arizona.

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the sounds of this. How good are we taking? Would this be something you could help others with who have an OTS Cobb?
Absolutely! It would be the approach we took with our Turbo flash where we sell a custom tune to Accessport owners! The customer sends me the ROM ID and your Accessport serial # and we send you the custom file.

It's going to be difficult to answer your question with empirical data because we don't have acess to a very good 4-wheel drive dyno. All of the work i do on 2-wheel drive cars is documented and backed up with the Dynojet. It's an approach we always take. The 4-wheel dynos tho are rather expensive to purchase so not a lot of shops have them. That's where the ultimate proof can be seen. It will be expensive to go to a different shop on the other side of Orlando but maybe down the road if we get enough interest we can re-visit OR have a dyno day for groups less than 10! ;) Too soon?

I am determined to wake this thing up. I usually tell people to assume the estimated Stage 1 OTS peak numbers from Cobb and i go to work on trying to 1.) increase power while being sure to maintain drivability 2.) find more low end grunt. 3.) tune it for the balmy Florida temps for people in Arizona / CA / desert areas that run their cars in extreme heat.

There are definitely going to be a lot of GTS owners interested in this, thanks.
Thanks for the positive feedback and support on the other thread! I will look for your Turbo or GTS when i'm home visiting the rents in Philly!

I'm curious how well this would translate for us S owners?
I actually started about 9 months ago delivering the GTS magic to the S owners! So an improvement to the GTS file will be an improvement for any S owners as well! Once i get my hands on a base i will have something for all parties!

I also have 2018 Macan GTS. Definitely interested.
Awesome! Thank you! I will keep the updates going and report back. Yesterday was a good day. I definitely found the limit with the throttle tables. Working with the other tables now to see if i can make some more gains!

Very interested.
Thank you very much! More info to come!

Very interested for the S.
See above! I haven't forgotten about you guys and this will certainly improve the GTS map i made for existing S owners!

Definitely interested in your upgrade. Been running the OTS tune for years and heard lots of positive reports regarding BGB tune but have dragged my feet questioning it’s value. A personal report will be helpful to make a decision. Especially utilizing ACN fuel used in Arizona.
I have made several maps for folks in Arizona and California or those that live at altitude in warm areas. The Cobb software gives me access to everything i need. I do have to tell people that the fuel quality is the big variable in this entire thing. When tuning the cars for the ACN mapping, i have no choice but to take power off the table to induce the engine to less stress. I can't in good conscience sell you the same tune i do for a customer in Wisconsin. It's too hard with the heat and the poor quality octane to make power so it's best to just assume less sauce to be safe!

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, looking forward to this! I too live in California, so we're unfortunately stuck with ACN tunes.
We can trim the power back some for the ACN folks so we are being extra conservative. I made 5 revisions today and I’m actually very happy with the end result. It finally feels like it should!

I went for another drive...I’m looking forward to the drive to the shop tomorrow! She’s waking up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also interested for the S.

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I just sent 3 copies of my latest and greatest work to 3 customers that had already gotten a Pro tune from me for the GTS. Consider it Phase II field testing!

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you show results? Do you have a dragy?
I found 2 more existing folks with previous iterations so i have about 5 people about to try it. I have asked them to provide feedback to me before i release because i'm just looking to confirm any oddities. Almost done...

Just to confirm...i think that when you're at WOT, the car isn't hateful. It's pretty good for what it is. There are times though when i just feel that it can't get out of its own way cruising around town in 5/6/7 at lower RPM with partial throttle!

·
Registered
128 Posts
S owners are gonna be blown away. I think i'm done with the first iteration!

Yep! If you buy the AP from us we are going to offer a special on the GTS file for S owners!
What is the cost for your custom map for the S for ACN91 (for AZ owners)?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
@wkndbox What is the cost for your custom map for the S for ACN91 (for AZ owners)?
@BGB Motorsports I second this question for those who have the AP already? another AZ owner. Adding a map for comparison using the ACN fuel Will be helpful in moving to a custom tune.

·
Supporting Vendor
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I don't know how useful this is. I know we can't put much stock in these things and i have seen numbers vary across the board. I never tried this with the 2016 Turbo. The only thing we could probably do to be as scientific as possible is do a back to back with Stage 0 vs. this map but once the car begins to heat soak, it's always worse for whomever goes last!

This was at the end of a test drive; we had 2 passengers, an absolutely slapped full tank of 93 octane and probably another 30 lbs of crap in the trunk. It's about 80F down here in Florida right now. We did this at lunchtime using Launch Control and the car has PSE. No other mods though, just the flash. My gut tells me we can pick up another .1 secs or so without a passenger in the early morning. What sort of times do you guys see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 85 Posts