Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ve played with this for several weeks trying to find the pattern or reason or anything that might be helpful. So far I have nothing.

Battery voltage in all replacements is 3.2v.
Prior tot the first replacement the car told me to replace my fob battery. Nice feature.

I too get the no beep locking at times. It almost seems like if I’m quick to lock the door as the other doors are just being closed I’ll get a no beep. I get it other times too, so who knows. Either way it’s locked, so that’s fine I guess.

I did notice that sometimes the red light on the fob doesn’t light up when I press the buttons. This is most interesting as it would indicate a fob failure. Once I open the battery door and close it (sometimes I only just barely pop it open), the buttons make the light come on again and the fob works. Sooo...if I had to guess, I’d say I have a fob failure here. I haven’t tried popping the door off the fob when the touch fails to work, so that’s my last step to test. Just waiting for the next failure.

The dealer said that some fobs have doors on them that don’t push the battery down well enough. I don’t buy that considering how tight it all seems. I’ll continue to test the battery seating in the fob to find a better position.

I also have a slight risk that my fob is jacked from a magnet. The key has entered zone 3 of the 3T MRI a few times, but that not a problem for safety or any of the other key fobs that people bring into that area. It’s just a slightly different magnetic field that other Porsche key fobs may not encounter thus probably the source of all the problems.

Testing continues.... thanks all!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m still dinking around with this. My last battery started giving me fits and the buttons wouldn’t even do anything. It read 3.0V on the meter and really should work all they way down to 2.6V.

Lucky for me I was at the store when it decided to fail. Picked up a new name brand battery and things are working very well so far.

So frustrating.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do magnets damage or drain lithium batteries?

Macan key fob uses CR2032 Lithium Battery 3V.

https://www.quora.com/Does-proximity-to-magnets-damage-or-affect-batteries

https://ukvapers.org/Thread-Can-Li-ion-batteries-be-damaged-by-magnets

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2642342

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/ask-an-expert/viewtopic.php?t=12458

In general the consensus seems to be no, for consumer magnets & maybe for high power magnets, such as those in an MRI machine.

Lithium itself is not magnetic but other ingredients inside a lithium battery are magnetic?

Strange that while your battery voltage has dropped, it has not dropped enough that it should have stopped working.

IDK if any components in the key fob itself are adversely affected by the powerful magnet.

If they were damaged, why did a battery replacement "fix" the problem?

Might be best to not expose your key fob to this MRI agent, if possible. Just in case.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve played with this for several weeks trying to find the pattern or reason or anything that might be helpful. So far I have nothing.
did the same. not keyfob related. Both keys have issues with either handle.

In fact the **** thing seems to work better in my left pocket even though I usually try to lock/unlock with my right fingers....

Has to do with proximity is my guess. I've nearly torn off my door handle so pissed that it wont unlock though. Pretty crappy feature performance on a 85k porsche

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
did the same. not keyfob related. Both keys have issues with either handle.

In fact the **** thing seems to work better in my left pocket even though I usually try to lock/unlock with my right fingers....

Has to do with proximity is my guess. I've nearly torn off my door handle so pissed that it wont unlock though. Pretty crappy feature performance on a 85k porsche
Can you reproduce the problem in front of the Porsche SA or shop foreman?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Being a relative newbie, I thought this was just me, but I have discovered that if I simply hold my thumb on the operative place on the handle for a couple/three seconds. it'll (usually) lock.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
My macan locks & unlocks ok but about 1/2 of the time does not chirp when locking. I do not know if this means the alarm is not setting or just no chirp. When it does this I usually lock & unlock it a few times until it chirps on locking
My new 2018 turbo is same as prior 2015 turbo. Sometimes chirps, sometimes doesnt. Not sure why

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I was trying to lock by gripping the door handle when all I needed to do was touch the indent on the outside of the handle with my finger or knuckle...still haven't figured out why I get no chirps, 1 chirp or 2 chirps on locking - never a consistent pattern.
If you try to lock by gripping the handle & having thumb on the indent, you will get mixed results.

Never try to lock by gripping the handle.

I was told to place the pad of the thumb on the indent to lock. It works 95% of the time. Sometimes, I must redo bc no chirp. I need that confirmation chirp b4 I walk away!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the same issues with my key. When in my pocket it doesn’t always detect it and lock/unlock the car.

I assumed it was because it was pressed against other keyfobs and they might be interfering? If I shuffle the keys around and separate the Macan key it works perfectly.

I also have the same issue with the car not always beeping when I lock it...
Not sure what the pattern is there.

·
Registered
624 Posts
For some reason my Porsche entry doesn't work in the parking lot of my favorite lunch spot. In fact sometimes it's even hard to lock the car using the key fob. I am not sure if their is some kind of electronic interference at this location, or perhaps Gremlins. Works 99.9% at other locations.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My S is in service and got a brand new base Macan as a loner with the entry and drive... I noticed that with this loaner it's a total hit or miss on unlocking via touching the door handle. Never had issues with mine. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2018 GTS , no entry and drive. I’ve never had a chirp locking or unlocking. Is it only entry and drive that chirps?

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I occasionally get that as well! I do the same as you, unlock again & re-lock, to hear that confirming chirp & see the red light flashing.

I bet it is all related. I'm taking it in to Porsche where they will likely tell me no codes stored, Yada, Yada, Yada.

I hope I'm wrong & they find something & fix it.
2018 GTS - took delivery April 6. If I use remote to lock I always get two chirps and flashing lights to indicate lock. If I use door handle sensor to lock, I may get two chirps but more likely to get one chirp or even no chirps...but car locks. So I suspect door sensor is the problem too.
What is the difference between a one chirp lock and a two chirp lock?
Both of Macan’s did this and so does my 991. Also have noticed it on loaners. Sometimes two chirps, sometimes one chirp, sometimes no chirps but always locks. It must be a Porsche locking/alarm module issue

·
Registered
188 Posts
Funny, I’ve had three similar experiences just this week. I assumed perhaps the key fob battery was starting to die.

Or perhaps there is an unusual amount of solar flare activity this week affecting radio transmissions. Anyone else notice that AM radio reception has been unusually poor this week?

AM radio still exists? :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
SA said there are 2 control units that receive signals from the door handles. They will check for codes & see if one is bad.

Today they fond no codes so did no repair.
I bet one of those control units fails after warranty is up!

These intermittent problems are very annoying.

I noticed on our A4 parking it in the winter the touch lock stopped working because the battery charge was low. Might be a feature the car turns off when the battery is low. A long drive and an overnight charge and everything is back to normal.

FYI The Audi is also a lot pickier about where exactly the key is compared to the Macan.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Both of Macan’s did this and so does my 991. Also have noticed it on loaners. Sometimes two chirps, sometimes one chirp, sometimes no chirps but always locks. It must be a Porsche locking/alarm module issue
My Macan still has this issue. But, my 911 so far has been perfect! Doors lock & mirrors fold, very fast. 100% of the time. But, I have not even had it 2 weeks yet.

Reactions: mbr

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2020 Macan and was having the same issue with the "touch" doorlock. It was working just fine for about a week and then all of a sudden stopped working for me. I have never had any issues unlocking the car by touching the handle.

Based on a previous comment on this thread, I have also found the solution for auto locking to be simply touching the handle depression/sensor with only my thumb, making sure no other fingers are on the handle. For unlock, I can just grab the handle and open the car. It is working now... will see if this trick lasts. 🤞

21 - 39 of 39 Posts