Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to lock door by touch, as usual, but no effect, despite key in pocket!

I was able to lock by pressing button on key fob. I immediately again tried to unlock/lock by touch with driver & also passenger door handle, nothing!
After I returned to car, 2 hours later, same problem. This time I tried all 4 door handles & nothing! Yet, the key fob locked/unlocked as expected.

I drove to next errand & ½ hr. later, same thing. On returning to car, I tried the key fob from 100? away & it easily unlocked/locked. So, I doubt the key fob battery is low.
As I reached the car, I again tried the door handles & this time they worked!
I tried all 4 & all worked correctly except driver door, which took 2-3 attempts. ½ hour later driver door handle was working correctly, no more need for multiple attempts. (Yes, I put the pad of my thumb directly on the depression/sensor.)

I suspect this is related to my repeated false alarm issue. (every couple months, with key in pocket, I open a door & alarm sounds.) I doubt it is specific to an individual door handle, rather some issue with the system that is supposed to receive signals from all the door handles. Hope this part can be replaced. Maybe a circuit board or black box under the hood?

Anyone else have this problem?

Waiting on reply from Porsche on this problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I first got my Macan I was also having the same problem locking the door especially coming from our Lexus and 4Runner where just touching it with a finger locks them. I found that when I lay the palm of my hand across the handle it locks without a problem and thats how I do it now. Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also check to see if something is interfering with the signal like a cell phone or magnetic strip on a credit card. I was having the same problem and it seems to be solved.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but, it is not my technique since I have locked/unlocked by touch for 2+ years now (I rarely press buttons on my key fob, it stays in my pocket) & just yesterday, In multiple locations, it failed. Something changed & it was not me or a local source of interference? that moved along with me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m having about the same issue except add in that the care sometimes doesn’t sense the key in the car and won’t start. Yeah. Fun. After 2 tries to start it will ask me to remove the fake key and insert the real key which seems to work. Sometimes I’ll pop the fake key out and stick it right back in and things work. Other times I’ll pull the key from my pocket and just “show it to the car” like I’m dealing with some strange version of “truth or dare” game. I haven’t really found a rhyme or reason yet. I have replaced the battery in the fob 4 times now. This seem to help which makes me think I have a pack of questionable quality batteries from Amazon (shocking, right?). The thing I’ve found odd is that sometimes when I press the buttons on my fob the light doesn’t flash red. Even with a low battery I’d think I’d get something from it.

I’ll need to start using my wife’s key to see if it’s the car or the key....or I guess something about me that causes this issue. My guess is it’s the battery in the fob. The other thing it might be is the fob itself. I hope it’s not the car....

·
Registered
979 Posts
Funny, I’ve had three similar experiences just this week. I assumed perhaps the key fob battery was starting to die.

Or perhaps there is an unusual amount of solar flare activity this week affecting radio transmissions. Anyone else notice that AM radio reception has been unusually poor this week?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I’m having about the same issue except add in that the care sometimes doesn’t sense the key in the car and won’t start. Yeah. Fun. After 2 tries to start it will ask me to remove the fake key and insert the real key which seems to work. Sometimes I’ll pop the fake key out and stick it right back in and things work. Other times I’ll pull the key from my pocket and just “show it to the car” like I’m dealing with some strange version of “truth or dare” game. I haven’t really found a rhyme or reason yet. I have replaced the battery in the fob 4 times now. This seem to help which makes me think I have a pack of questionable quality batteries from Amazon (shocking, right?). The thing I’ve found odd is that sometimes when I press the buttons on my fob the light doesn’t flash red. Even with a low battery I’d think I’d get something from it.

I’ll need to start using my wife’s key to see if it’s the car or the key....or I guess something about me that causes this issue. My guess is it’s the battery in the fob. The other thing it might be is the fob itself. I hope it’s not the car....
Does this happen to you parked in a similar spot? I have this problem occasionally when I park in a specific area at work. From what I understand it has something to do with LED overhead lights in the parkade. It doesn't happen everywhere in the parkade, just in a small specific area. If the problem arises, I take the key out of my pocket and hold it close to the dummy key in the ignition and it starts every time.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m having about the same issue except add in that the care sometimes doesn’t sense the key in the car and won’t start...I have replaced the battery in the fob 4 times now. This seem to help which makes me think I have a pack of questionable quality batteries from Amazon (shocking, right?)....
Can you check the Amazon replacement batteries with a multimeter? If you don't own one, it is a very useful tool & not expensive. You can check your car battery voltage for example.

Re bad/weak key fob batteries, Am I correct to assume that as it start to go bad, your range will decrease? If you typically can press a button & get a response (Lock/unlock) from 50' away...as battery weakens over time, you need to be significantly closer.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Out of caution, I just measured the battery on my key...car is 20 months old....and the voltage is 3.0V. If your battery is at 2.6V (or below) replace it.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
My macan locks & unlocks ok but about 1/2 of the time does not chirp when locking. I do not know if this means the alarm is not setting or just no chirp. When it does this I usually lock & unlock it a few times until it chirps on locking

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My macan locks & unlocks ok but about 1/2 of the time does not chirp when locking. I do not know if this means the alarm is not setting or just no chirp. When it does this I usually lock & unlock it a few times until it chirps on locking
I occasionally get that as well! I do the same as you, unlock again & re-lock, to hear that confirming chirp & see the red light flashing.

I bet it is all related. I'm taking it in to Porsche where they will likely tell me no codes stored, Yada, Yada, Yada.

I hope I'm wrong & they find something & fix it.

Reactions: bhmiller and mbr

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SA said there are 2 control units that receive signals from the door handles. They will check for codes & see if one is bad.

Today they fond no codes so did no repair.
I bet one of those control units fails after warranty is up!

These intermittent problems are very annoying.

·
Registered
481 Posts
2018 GTS - took delivery April 6. If I use remote to lock I always get two chirps and flashing lights to indicate lock. If I use door handle sensor to lock, I may get two chirps but more likely to get one chirp or even no chirps...but car locks. So I suspect door sensor is the problem too.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
2018 GTS - took delivery April 6. If I use remote to lock I always get two chirps and flashing lights to indicate lock. If I use door handle sensor to lock, I may get two chirps but more likely to get one chirp or even no chirps...but car locks. So I suspect door sensor is the problem too.
Is it possible to turn the chirping off...like through the PCM?

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
I too have seen the occasional no-chirp locking. A couple of times lately, it has not responded
to my touch for locking, though I haven't changed my technique...

Curious...

:eek:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
When this happens to me is has been an indication that the FOB battery needs replacing, and from experience the Amazon batteries don't last all that long. Either it's lower quality or they are getting close to the expiration date. Typical life of lithium based batteries is 2-3 years from what I recall.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My neighbor owns a GTS and I have a turbo both with the feature.

It works about 80% of the time. But the times it doesn't work? Boy will it piss you off. I've almost ripped my door handle off while cursing the **** system

My 2014 CTS-V wagon had better keyless entry (and it was lemon lawed!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts