Porsche Macan Forum banner

Macan BOSE to BURMESTER Speaker Swap

161K views 732 replies 48 participants last post by  Farshad 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I did not see a post that had all of the speakers involved in the project so i thought i might start one.
Firstly, thank you to SirSchwag, Lippy et all,for all of the help with me so far.

FRONT DASH TWEETERS
So we know about the tweeters. BURM AMT's can go in with mods to the dash holes...but have a different impedance, so that needs to be considered. The Rear BURM tweets will replace the front BOSE ones, but you need to transplant the caps, shave male connector tab. Getter done :)

So lets move onto the other drivers:

CENTER: Can anyone confirm the impedance of the BOSE and BURM drivers? Also, has anyone gained access to this center speaker ? Does that center panel just pop off around the SC? If so, how ? Anyone have a diagram of the clips ?

FRONT DOORS (Mids) this looks like it is a straight swap, same impedance, no caps to add, remove door panel, Getter done :)
FRONT DOORS (Woofer) Can anyone confirm the IMP on both of the stock BOSE and BURM drivers ? Are they physically a straight drop in ?

REAR DOORS (Tweets) Straight replacement, no CAP required . Pop off panel, Getter done :)
REAR DOORS (Woofer) the Burm Rear woofers look and cost is different to the front woofers. Does anyone know the IPM of the BOSE driver and the BURM driver for the rear ?

SUB, undiscovered country as far as a speaker swap.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. Quite an undertaking. Curious, I have the Burmester and love it, how much did all the speaker parts cost? Did you buy through Suncoast? Also, why did you not consider an aftermarket option like Focal or jBL? Also, the speakers are tuned electronically for those brand if speakers (Bose settings for Bose speakers), so how would it sound with the Bose EQ and speaker settings with another brand of speaker, much less a Bose amp driving a Burm speaker? The Burm system is a much higher wattage system and good, high end speakers need a lot of power to drive them and make them sound good.

#3 ·
Chose BURM mostly because the fitment is direct, factory fitment. I acquired some speakers directly from a most excellent forum member :), mentioned in this thread.
Others can be had from Suncoast. I partially agree on "tuning" of the speakers for the subs, the mids maybe as well. As for the tweets, if you use the same HP filter Cap, that should be the same...but better :) Not sure if anyone else has changed the MIDS/SUBS.
We forge on. :)

#32 ·
Think I will go the Mangotangoe Route, and purchase the same 8" Sub, Image Dynamics ID8 , although I've only found this sub on Amazon.com not amazon.ca :(.
Then onto swapping the rear door tweeters with Burm and wait and see for the front dash tweets as it looks like an ominous task!
Thanks Guys...Rock On!

#6 ·
Mangotango,
An amazing contribution, thank you !! Glad it sounds better. I am sure a better quality driver (not paper i.e. BOSE) will sound and last longer.
Do you still have the original SUB Driver ? If so, could you possibly measure its resistance, and diameter ? We can then add it to the "known" BOSE SPEAKER list.

Great work ! Where in Canada are you ?

#11 ·
The swap of driver for the sub is an easy diy. The dual coil 4 ohm driver was wired as a 2 ohm load. No modifications to the enclosure are required.

I have replaced my front tweeters with a set of MusicCarNW Dynaudio and removed the front center speaker. No plans for any change to rear speakers but will eventually change out the front door speakers. Would love to install a DSP processor to tie everything together and get a nice front stage.

#9 ·
Teddis- admire your audiophile enthusiasm. These are one of my favorite threads. I love music and audio equipment.

Question I bave yet to see u address- how do you account for the probably double the amp output to the speakers you are replacing ? Can you add an extra amp? Those speakers need wattage

#10 ·
Hi Vandit,
So far I have only replaced the tweeters, they measured the same DC Resistance..I am not sure if the sensitivity is similar to the Bose as we do not have data on the sensitivity of the BOSE or BURM drivers. In my limited audition of my new burm tweets, they are cleaner, I have reduced my treble setting, for me, thats a good sign. If we used Focal,etc, we would have sensitivity data.....but what good is that if we do not have the BOSE data, to know if we are a close match. again, factory fitment/OEM is why i chose BURM.

I agree this can be a problem. I am making sure however that at least the IMP matches so the AMP does not see a different load. Can any of the top electrical guys comment on the sensitivity "match" concern ? I may do one at a time and see if there is a volume/quality issue....I doubt it personally. I think the speaker is just replicating what it is sent.....and the BOSE amp has enough poooop to drive it.
thanks

#15 ·
Following Mangotangoe's lead, I will be installing the Rockford Fosgate P1S28. Its local and meets the requirements. I will post up some pics and a review early next week.
I am not expecting to have a huge impact on the SUB sound. More so I know it is a quality driver, and not made of paper cones :)

#16 ·
So my Sub speaker swap is complete. This is a very simple DIY project. From only a little listening so far it sounds great, the Bose did not sound terrible.....its just not well made....see pictures. More reviews once I get this little driver worked in a bit.

Attachments

#22 ·
Very Tempted to make this change as it looks like an easy DIY for the Sub....from there perhaps swap some of the other Bose Speakers....The Bose System is decent but not worth the upcharge I paid IMHO. Loooong Ago (Late 80's 90's) I would spend a lot $$ to change out stereos and make the sound unreal for $1500-2000....but as we know todays car stereos have come a real long way...:D

#17 ·
I now have replaced the tweeters, center channel and sub driver. I have noticed a pretty decent sound improvement. The cheapness of Bose speakers is shocking.

Now the next step is the door speakers, they are on the way. I am seriously considering the B amp. I just need to learn how the car HU learns it has B equipment, PWIS or is it a different HU altogether. Obviously not buying a new HU. Would a B amp work with Bose software and how would it sound etc is the issue.

For those in Southern California I have a friend who is an expert at this and works only on high-end cars so if you ever wanted this done give me a PM and I will shoot you his info.

We just did a great LED lighting upgrade in my Macan that illuminates my speaker grils ( like Audi/MBZ) and does a phased tun on from front to back of the Macan, pretty cool. Lots of colors etc etc. As well as a built in radar/Lidar/Jammer system with installed display in the mirror. Our next project is a HUD that we have working only need to build a custom enclosure.

So he is very good.

#20 ·
So with more driving/listening time in now, here is what I can report.

The Rear tweeter upgrade has made a HUGE difference for me, here is why....and this may vary for others.

I sit with my Drivers Seat all the way to the back, long legs. so, my head its actually closer to the rear door tweeters than the dash !! These new drivers made this very apparent as they became, not louder....but more apparent and in the stage.
I also reduced Treble a bit more to my liking. super happy with this. As others have stated, this is the best bang for the buck BOSE driver DIY upgrade.

#25 ·
Sounds like its a great upgrade. Do you know what the part numbers are for the burm rear tweeters and is it in fact a direct swap with the bose? If the components need surgery Im probably out of my league here.

#26 ·
I can get the p/n, but yes they are direct drop in, perfect fitment. Only you would ever know they are Burms.
You do need to de solder the caps on the orrignals and move them to the new ones. Basic soldering skills required here.

The fronts are a little more work than the rears. The rears are very accessible.

#34 ·
Thanks Teddis, Appreciate the input. Traded emails with the NW Audio installer (Dynaudio) that did a lot of those custom Tweeters for 911's. I don't think I will go that route as I have to do all the work for over $900 Canadian tax and delivery on a pair of Tweeters (understanding they are high quality). Seems like Rear Burms tweets and Sub Swap are the first to go, then I'll need lots of help with the front tweets (installer explained a little the process, ouch :|) and likely Burms there too, all under the same $900...;)

#39 ·
Thanks I misunderstood. I wasn't planning on replacing the front tweeters but thought the Burmeister were ribbon. I will order the Burmeister tweeters front and rear from Sunset Porsche parts along with the Burmeister dash grills which I believe have a better opening than the Bose and is recommended. As far as the sub are you happy with your choice?

#40 ·
No problem.

I would replace the front tweeters long before I touched the rears, they are 75% of the sound, in particular if you are using Bose Surround. The rears in my case were replaced because they are cheap to replace and there was better sound but marginal. The front stage is the most important IMO. I would not bother with the Berm grills, thats 100 dollars wasted as the opening means zilch. Plus having two branded speakers in the car is weird. Again, my opinion. The rears drop in and use the front location and grills just fine.

The subwoofer is really a personal preference, its ok to me. The Bose subwoofer is so cheap it needed to be replaced because that 10 dollar POS has no place in any car costing over 30k. As far as sound? the Bose amp does a fair job but you're never going to get what can be done with aftermarket amplification from Bose.

I will say this, of all my Porsches that came equipped with Bose, the Macan is the best sounding Bose system I've ever heard. I usually yank out everything save the PCM in every Porsche but replacing the tweeters and to a lesser extent the subwoofer has made the system very adequate. I regret not checking the Berm option, by the time I was done I had left that and PCCB's off and little else and just didnt want a 130k GTS. Fro what I understand there will be a 3rd stereo option in the next Macan, a higher level system than the Berm, Berm will be standard on the turbo and the new cheaper Tungston Carbon brake system at half the price of PCCB's and no brake dust. Always something new...anyway, hope this helped.

#46 · (Edited)
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-rear-dr-speaker-7pp035412a/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c291bmQtc3lzdGVtJmk9Njk1MTY3NTUmcj04JmE9cG9yc2NoZSZvPW1hY2FuJnk9MjAxNiZ0PXR1cmJvJmU9My02bC12Ni1nYXM%3D
2016 Bose above and 2017 Bose below
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/...cat/sound-system-scat/?part_number=7pp035412a

Rear Dr Speaker, RIGHT
Part Number7pp-035-412-a
Quantity

• List Price$74.80
  • Our Price$56.57
Subtotal (1 item)$56.57
Certainly does look like the exact same part # that has been quoted often....for Premium Audio BURM TWEETER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.