Porsche Macan Forum banner

501 - 520 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Which RF do you have (what size). I know the Bose box is 8". I think the Burmester box is 10" (please confirm). But I have not seen any Burmesters boxes for sale (at least not on eBay or any other resale). Have seen many Bose boxes for sale at eBay.

If you have the 8" version of the RF, you'll be able to fit it with a 1/2" ring spacer. I used to have the RF in my Bose box, which I fit with the 1/2" spacer. I moved to an Audison APS-8D since then, and selling my RF on eBay.

Look at previous posts in this thread.
I have a 10" woofer right now, do you think I can use a spacer to fit it into a Bose box?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Weekends come and go, but speaker upgrades eventually come to an end and so it was this last weekend.

I left the front doors till last, with only two speakers per door and lots of space to get in there I thought it would be easy to do. But, inevitably there are some issues to consider and little hurdles to clear along the way. The first job was getting access, so it was off with the door inner skin, driver's door first to see what I was up against - @GeO and @Santrix looking at your extensive photos is great but first hand knowledge is king. It didn't take long to find the decorative trim along the top of the trim requires a lot of persuasion to get it to release it's grip. Then it was the odd sized screws, two short self tappers and two longer 5mm screws up top, then the long self tapper behind the light at the bottom. A gentle tug upwards slides the trim off it's retaining hooks, but then you are left balancing a hefty door trim in one hand while trying to reach behind to unhook the electrics - same procedure as the back doors for that one. The short small wire connector in the centre top, it pays to get this one off first as it's the shortest, then it's the bigger 'pinky' connector! I had read the previous notes about how easy it was to break the little pink cam locking clip - but I thought I had to give it one more try ... :mad:.

Smart move is to grab a small box that will fit under the trim edge with the door open - then when you slide the trim off you can rest it there, instead of trying to hold it up while undoing clips you can't clearly see with the other free hand. Lesson, learned, a small screw driver to depress the little central tongue in front of the 'pinky' clip will then let 'pinky' and the big multi pin connector cam it's way out!:whistle:

Door lock pull off then it's trim off and onto the sheet covered table - to save the piano black. Then it's eight M5 torx screws and one connector and a thin spatula behind an edge, to break the rubber seal and get the somewhat weird looking woofer out of it's home. This one I do not immediately consign to the naughty corner with the other's - it goes to the dining err planning table for a detail look over. Now here was something different, double cones with a front magnet to clear the short back depth. It reminds me of something the Alfred Teves engineers invented when the 356 graduated to disc brakes in the early 60's - a big ring disc bolted on the outer ring and the caliper mounted inside the disc ring, I guess it was early days and they were learning as they went...:unsure:

Inside the door trim upholstery is the mid speaker and that has a two screw and one corner tab tie up. Fitting the Audison AP4 required some juggling to make an adapter spacer that is not too thick so it would fit the corner tab and mate the four hole speaker into a three hole world. I followed a slightly different path here, I made a thin ply adapter spacer but fitted my speaker to the door trim first, then placed the adapter over the top of the speaker. This allowed me to trim the corner edge of the adapter spacer so it fitted under the one corner locating tab, the other corner screws then sandwiching the speaker to the trim. I used the original mid speaker electric connector which I de-soldered from the speaker and made short connecting leads to fit the new Audison spade lugs then made sure that these electrical bits were later tied back to the skin with a cable tie.

The big woofer mounting was next, I noted before the short mounting depth (a shade over 66mm available) and worked out I needed to make a spacing adapter of about 45mm. By now, I had had enough of the MDF dust wafting it's way into every nook and cranny of my mill and workshop, so I hunted up some white HDPE. The router/mill combo made short work of this - no dust, but now, the mill began to look like frosty the snow man covered in a mound white plastic flakes. :confused:(n)

Made up a couple of acoustic foam rings for the spacers, cut foam insulators for the speaker and door mount then united the two pieces of each spacer then drilled and inserted wires for the Audison AP8 spade terminals - Yes, it's just as described earlier just follow along here and no, sorry to disappoint you @GeO, there are no photos to be seen here! My spacers are no different to the well presented sets of ring work from @Santirx or indeed, those of your own.

Test fit the spacer ring to ensure it all comes together. Apply super glue and a small piece of stainless wire to the broken 'pinky' clip and let that set. Fold back the expanse of wooly protective cover on the inside of the door trim and fit up some sound deadener to those enormous flat sections of the door pockets plus a hold for the wire connector to stop it rattling. While there, get inside the doors and do the same to the section behind the woofer cavity - I know the factory has at least put something in here to help but I know I have to get rid of that stack of left over deadener somehow. Now, mount it all up, hooks, clips, screws, panels and it's finished.:)(y)

Did I just say finished? Well, that is clearly not the case, no speaker install is complete without the listening and that means a nice drive somewhere. I needed something with a DTS 5.1 soundtrack plus some CD's to get a feel for it. 👂

So, I head out with my little mates Oti and Con on board, I need to listen to what they say as I value their contribution, off into to the morning rain... As the sound field opens, I am seated about row 10 in an enormous English footy stadium, the place is packed, it's rock and up front are Phil, Daryl and Mike, off to one side Tony and centre back and slightly higher, it's Chester. I have to resist a temptation to turn it on again while driving, glimpes of enormous crowds come through at each red light but fade again - until I park up by a sea side headland. The golden beach sands are touched by the wild storm waves in front - but, the sun breaks just as the stage is taken over by Phil and Chester, cranking it more I seem to move forward as the drum kits rage in question and answer, Phil - see me, hear my solo run can you do it better Chester? - well yes I can dude!

The sound stage changes, leaving the rock for folk I am moved to an auditorium in the late 60's, it's deep down south and I am in the front row. Before me a youthful Paul pulls deeply at his heart strings for his love, Kathy. I can hear his voice clearly over the minstrel tones as he picks and strums. A minute later, Art is there by his side, his angelic tone gives light to Paul's deeper tone, as they weave their way thru the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. The audience clearly loves it. Again the stage moves, I leave the intimacy of the previous venue, I am in the open fields of Spain as Slava paints the lives of Albeniz, Tarrega and Villa-Lobos, the quiet only broken by tones from fingers and nails deliberately caressing strings, revealing the very soul of the guitar...

Can I hear the centre overpowering the mid, is there too much mid and not enough base, should I reach for the diagnostic tools and map the responses? Well, Oti and Con thought it was fantastic, they loved the new clarity, the old muddiness had gone, there was better resonance and tonality too, the job had clearly been worth doing! I thought more would be revealed in future as the miles go by, indeed, I wish I had done it before that long last 13500 km journey.

Moreover, did I agree with what my little mates thought? Well yes silly, after all, I do have to listen to them all the time, perched one atop each ear...;)

Now, the workshop cleanup must begin, but where has that bald and bearded old cleaning lady gone ....?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Which RF do you have (what size). I know the Bose box is 8". I think the Burmester box is 10" (please confirm). But I have not seen any Burmesters boxes for sale (at least not on eBay or any other resale). Have seen many Bose boxes for sale at eBay.

If you have the 8" version of the RF, you'll be able to fit it with a 1/2" ring spacer. I used to have the RF in my Bose box, which I fit with the 1/2" spacer. I moved to an Audison APS-8D since then, and selling my RF on eBay.

Look at previous posts in this thread.
Burmester sub is the same as the Bose. Stay away. Give me a few weeks to show everyone a better solution.

Ge0

·
Registered
745 Posts
Weekends come and go, but speaker upgrades eventually come to an end and so it was this last weekend.

I left the front doors till last, with only two speakers per door and lots of space to get in there I thought it would be easy to do. But, inevitably there are some issues to consider and little hurdles to clear along the way. The first job was getting access, so it was off with the door inner skin, driver's door first to see what I was up against - @GeO and @Santrix looking at your extensive photos is great but first hand knowledge is king. It didn't take long to find the decorative trim along the top of the trim requires a lot of persuasion to get it to release it's grip. Then it was the odd sized screws, two short self tappers and two longer 5mm screws up top, then the long self tapper behind the light at the bottom. A gentle tug upwards slides the trim off it's retaining hooks, but then you are left balancing a hefty door trim in one hand while trying to reach behind to unhook the electrics - same procedure as the back doors for that one. The short small wire connector in the centre top, it pays to get this one off first as it's the shortest, then it's the bigger 'pinky' connector! I had read the previous notes about how easy it was to break the little pink cam locking clip - but I thought I had to give it one more try ... :mad:.

Smart move is to grab a small box that will fit under the trim edge with the door open - then when you slide the trim off you can rest it there, instead of trying to hold it up while undoing clips you can't clearly see with the other free hand. Lesson, learned, a small screw driver to depress the little central tongue in front of the 'pinky' clip will then let 'pinky' and the big multi pin connector cam it's way out!:whistle:

Door lock pull off then it's trim off and onto the sheet covered table - to save the piano black. Then it's eight M5 torx screws and one connector and a thin spatula behind an edge, to break the rubber seal and get the somewhat weird looking woofer out of it's home. This one I do not immediately consign to the naughty corner with the other's - it goes to the dining err planning table for a detail look over. Now here was something different, double cones with a front magnet to clear the short back depth. It reminds me of something the Alfred Teves engineers invented when the 356 graduated to disc brakes in the early 60's - a big ring disc bolted on the outer ring and the caliper mounted inside the disc ring, I guess it was early days and they were learning as they went...:unsure:

Inside the door trim upholstery is the mid speaker and that has a two screw and one corner tab tie up. Fitting the Audison AP4 required some juggling to make an adapter spacer that is not too thick so it would fit the corner tab and mate the four hole speaker into a three hole world. I followed a slightly different path here, I made a thin ply adapter spacer but fitted my speaker to the door trim first, then placed the adapter over the top of the speaker. This allowed me to trim the corner edge of the adapter spacer so it fitted under the one corner locating tab, the other corner screws then sandwiching the speaker to the trim. I used the original mid speaker electric connector which I de-soldered from the speaker and made short connecting leads to fit the new Audison spade lugs then made sure that these electrical bits were later tied back to the skin with a cable tie.

The big woofer mounting was next, I noted before the short mounting depth (a shade over 66mm available) and worked out I needed to make a spacing adapter of about 45mm. By now, I had had enough of the MDF dust wafting it's way into every nook and cranny of my mill and workshop, so I hunted up some white HDPE. The router/mill combo made short work of this - no dust, but now, the mill began to look like frosty the snow man covered in a mound white plastic flakes. :confused:(n)

Made up a couple of acoustic foam rings for the spacers, cut foam insulators for the speaker and door mount then united the two pieces of each spacer then drilled and inserted wires for the Audison AP8 spade terminals - Yes, it's just as described earlier just follow along here and no, sorry to disappoint you @GeO, there are no photos to be seen here! My spacers are no different to the well presented sets of ring work from @Santirx or indeed, those of your own.

Test fit the spacer ring to ensure it all comes together. Apply super glue and a small piece of stainless wire to the broken 'pinky' clip and let that set. Fold back the expanse of wooly protective cover on the inside of the door trim and fit up some sound deadener to those enormous flat sections of the door pockets plus a hold for the wire connector to stop it rattling. While there, get inside the doors and do the same to the section behind the woofer cavity - I know the factory has at least put something in here to help but I know I have to get rid of that stack of left over deadener somehow. Now, mount it all up, hooks, clips, screws, panels and it's finished.:)(y)

Did I just say finished? Well, that is clearly not the case, no speaker install is complete without the listening and that means a nice drive somewhere. I needed something with a DTS 5.1 soundtrack plus some CD's to get a feel for it. 👂

So, I head out with my little mates Oti and Con on board, I need to listen to what they say as I value their contribution, off into to the morning rain... As the sound field opens, I am seated about row 10 in an enormous English footy stadium, the place is packed, it's rock and up front are Phil, Daryl and Mike, off to one side Tony and centre back and slightly higher, it's Chester. I have to resist a temptation to turn it on again while driving, glimpes of enormous crowds come through at each red light but fade again - until I park up by a sea side headland. The golden beach sands are touched by the wild storm waves in front - but, the sun breaks just as the stage is taken over by Phil and Chester, cranking it more I seem to move forward as the drum kits rage in question and answer, Phil - see me, hear my solo run can you do it better Chester? - well yes I can dude!

The sound stage changes, leaving the rock for folk I am moved to an auditorium in the late 60's, it's deep down south and I am in the front row. Before me a youthful Paul pulls deeply at his heart strings for his love, Kathy. I can hear his voice clearly over the minstrel tones as he picks and strums. A minute later, Art is there by his side, his angelic tone gives light to Paul's deeper tone, as they weave their way thru the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. The audience clearly loves it. Again the stage moves, I leave the intimacy of the previous venue, I am in the open fields of Spain as Slava paints the lives of Albeniz, Tarrega and Villa-Lobos, the quiet only broken by tones from fingers and nails deliberately caressing strings, revealing the very soul of the guitar...

Can I hear the centre overpowering the mid, is there too much mid and not enough base, should I reach for the diagnostic tools and map the responses? Well, Oti and Con thought it was fantastic, they loved the new clarity, the old muddiness had gone, there was better resonance and tonality too, the job had clearly been worth doing! I thought more would be revealed in future as the miles go by, indeed, I wish I had done it before that long last 13500 km journey.

Moreover, did I agree with what my little mates thought? Well yes silly, after all, I do have to listen to them all the time, perched one atop each ear...;)

Now, the workshop cleanup must begin, but where has that bald and bearded old cleaning lady gone ....?
I'm ADD. Did you say something? You lost me after your first few sentences. If you want me to follow then quit writing a freaking novel and post a few images.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Did I just say finished? Well, that is clearly not the case, no speaker install is complete without the listening and that means a nice drive somewhere. I needed something with a DTS 5.1 soundtrack plus some CD's to get a feel for it.

Hey @Gra, I did enjoy the read. Well done and glad you finished and reached the same conclusion.

In my case, replacing the speakers have made the audio come to life in more ways than one. But then, I wanted the next best thing, and then the next... That is why I caved in to the amplifier replacement, eventhough the sound is already great to my non-audiophile ears.

After replacing the amplifier I’m stopping, but obviously after that, there is nothing else to be done... I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Because I'm too lazy to read all 26 pages of this thread, that and it seems people have drifted from the original premise "Bose to Burmester Speaker Swap"....could someone summarize the easiest worthwhile choices to upgrade the Bose speakers using speakers that are "plug n' play" or close to it? I can deal with cutting/soldering a few wires to re-use an OEM speaker connector, but I don't have the tech know-how when it comes to adding resistors or making my own speaker housings.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: andreasbiebl

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey @Gra, I did enjoy the read. Well done and glad you finished and reached the same conclusion.

In my case, replacing the speakers have made the audio come to life in more ways than one. But then, I wanted the next best thing, and then the next... That is why I caved in to the amplifier replacement, eventhough the sound is already great to my non-audiophile ears.

After replacing the amplifier I’m stopping, but obviously after that, there is nothing else to be done... I think...

Subwoofer cough cough... Kick panel mounted midranges cough cough... Complete sound treatment cough cough...

Wait, did I just say something?

Ge0

·
Registered
745 Posts
Because I'm too lazy to read all 26 pages of this thread, that and it seems people have drifted from the original premise "Bose to Burmester Speaker Swap"....could someone summarize the easiest worthwhile choices to upgrade the Bose speakers using speakers that are "plug n' play" or close to it? I can deal with cutting/soldering a few wires to re-use an OEM speaker connector, but I don't have the tech know-how when it comes to adding resistors or making my own speaker housings.

Thanks in advance.
My early observations. Leave the factory door woofers in place. Only a minimal gain there. The biggest bang for your buck is to install a decent set of tweeters in the dash. Next, try door midranges like Audison AP4. Finally, select a 3" or 4" center channel. These upgrades will get you most of the way there without too much effort. I show you how to do most of this over on my dedicated build thread here:

Ge0

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Subwoofer cough cough... Kick panel mounted midranges cough cough... Complete sound treatment cough cough...

Wait, did I just say something?

Ge0
Ha Ha.... You are going to ruin me with this project... :ROFLMAO:

I just can't keep up with you man.

But now seriously, I don't think I'll ever do kick panel midranges... the subwoofer, maybe at some point, but the Audison APS-8D is doing a great job inside the Bose box (maybe an amp upgrade?). Sound treatment, maybe... I think the deadener I installed is sufficient, but heck, I haven't heard a full sound treated car yet, so I have nothing to compare against. Maybe, for my own sake and sanity, better that I stay ignorant on this.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Thanks in advance.
@Masscan, I would argue that the surround speakers are important to replace as well. The quality of the center and surround speakers (which are all the same model) is just very bad. @Ge0 provides the right recommendations above. To add...

4 Burmester tweeters with 4.7 or 10uF capacitors, which are just a drop in, with slight modification to the connector (two for the dash, two for the rear doors). For center, you don't have to worry too much about factory mount, just select the right speaker for the hole, like an Audison V3.0 or Hertz Mille Pro 70.3 or the one that @Ge0 installed, and you should be able to drop it in and secure it with self tapping screws. I tested the V3.0 and the Hertz 70.3 and liked the Hertz better.

The door midrange and surround are a little more involved, because they require adapters. @Teddis was going to install the Burmester door midranges, which is factory fit (you'll have to fabricate the wire harness using Bose adapter). You can ask him if it improved his sound quality over the Bose.

I think you'll be safe installing two Burmesters in surround location, they are very decent and significantly superior to Bose (again, you'll have to fabricate the wire harness for these using Bose adapter).

The rest of your speakers are decent enough to be left there as @Ge0 said. I read somewhere here that Bose door woofers are better quality than Burmester.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You guys rock! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You guys rock! Thank you!
For the process to remove D-Pillars to access the surround speakers, look at the following link which will take you to the exact post for the procedure: The long and involved process of upgrading my 2016 Macan...

That is @Ge0 dedicated thread. In there, you will also find procedures on how to remove door panels, how to remove the top trim where center channel is, and how to remove A- Pillars to gain access to the dash tweeters.

Good luck!

Hey, with that name handle @Masscan, assuming you are from Massachusetts? maybe I'm reading into your name too much...

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
Had a minor knee Op.....so did not get around to the Burm Mid swap yet.......they are starring at me :)

@Masscan, I would argue that the surround speakers are important to replace as well. The quality of the center and surround speakers (which are all the same model) is just very bad. @Ge0 provides the right recommendations above. To add...

4 Burmester tweeters with 4.7 or 10uF capacitors, which are just a drop in, with slight modification to the connector (two for the dash, two for the rear doors). For center, you don't have to worry too much about factory mount, just select the right speaker for the hole, like an Audison V3.0 or Hertz Mille Pro 70.3 or the one that @Ge0 installed, and you should be able to drop it in and secure it with self tapping screws. I tested the V3.0 and the Hertz 70.3 and liked the Hertz better.

The door midrange and surround are a little more involved, because they require adapters. @Teddis was going to install the Burmester door midranges, which is factory fit (you'll have to fabricate the wire harness using Bose adapter). You can ask him if it improved his sound quality over the Bose.

I think you'll be safe installing two Burmesters in surround location, they are very decent and significantly superior to Bose (again, you'll have to fabricate the wire harness for these using Bose adapter).

The rest of your speakers are decent enough to be left there as @Ge0 said. I read somewhere here that Bose door woofers are better quality than Burmester.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
For the process to remove D-Pillars to access the surround speakers, look at the following link which will take you to the exact post for the procedure: The long and involved process of upgrading my 2016 Macan...

That is @Ge0 dedicated thread. In there, you will also find procedures on how to remove door panels, how to remove the top trim where center channel is, and how to remove A- Pillars to gain access to the dash tweeters.

Good luck!

Hey, with that name handle @Masscan, assuming you are from Massachusetts? maybe I'm reading into your name too much...
Thank you for the info, and yes you are correct!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
For anyone looking to upgrade the Bose OEM amplifier, take a look at the following:

This kit contains the connector that fits the Bose amplifier connector (at least for Macan 2015 / 2016). Although amplifier models have changed for different year Porsches, this specific connector have not.

And even though there are many other things in this kit, the Bose harness alone, and the work it saves, and the fact that you won't have to cut into factory wires, is worth the price.

Also, this is a family owned small business.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For anyone looking to upgrade the Bose OEM amplifier, take a look at the following:

This kit contains the connector that fits the Bose amplifier connector (at least for Macan 2015 / 2016). Although amplifier models have changed for different year Porsches, this specific connector have not.

And even though there are many other things in this kit, the Bose harness alone, and the work it saves, and the fact that you won't have to cut into factory wires, is worth the price.

Also, this is a family owned small business.
Thanks Santrix for posting this; it will be helpful for a lot of folks. Now for us poor souls who have the base PCM system I’m hoping they’ll have a solution for us too to plug into, more to come on that

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks Santrix for posting this; it will be helpful for a lot of folks. Now for us poor souls who have the base PCM system I’m hoping they’ll have a solution for us too to plug into, more to come on that
Poor souls with PCM? You're the lucky one's. The MOST fiber optic adapters we need for BOSE are $500 to $600ea. All you need to do is tap into a couple signal pins...

:)

Ge0

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I did some tidy up of my center installation today...

Secured the AP2 better. Better centralized, etc...

Also, I changed the AP2 wiring to parallel with the Hertz center.

In addition, as a test, I took an Audison AP1 crossover and installed it to the AP2 (since the AP2 have a very wide range up to 20kHz). The crossover have a high pass filter of 3500Hz. Since I have both Hertz and AP2 in parallel, it seems like a good idea that the AP2 takes higher frequencies.

It sounds very good, I may change it back later but for now I’ll continue to test. I still need to test with REW. Will do that later.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Ordered these a few days ago all the way from Italy, and got them today. I guess I’ll have something to do tomorrow...

I decided to replace the Burmester tweeters in the front with these Audison Voce 1.1.

The darn amplifier, which I ordered from Germany over a month ago, is still lost in shipping. Shipping tracking status hasn’t changed since July 10. I have just given the seller the last chance to locate it before I request a refund.

501 - 520 of 625 Posts