Porsche Macan Forum banner

401 - 420 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thank you,Off to look for Audison...
Yes. You can find the Audison AP4 at Amazon. The Hertz MP70.3 are doing a great job for me at center channel (I removed the Burmester center channel speaker, and will be selling that). I also installed the Audison Voce AV3.0 as surrounds. I would argue that the Hertz will also do a great job in surround duty, but the AV3.0 are doing great.

I also love the Audison AP8 that I installed in the front doors. These are more difficult to find, but you can try eBay or Amazon UK. But wait... you already have new 8” Rockford Fosgate in the front doors and 6.5” Focal speakers in the rear doors right? I can’t remember...

Can’t wait to install the Audison AP6.5, the AP4 and the AP1 set I bought for my rear doors over the weekend.

I’m amazed at how changing a couple of speakers to higher quality than Bose have completely changed the audio profile and my audio experience in the Macan, even with the Bose amplifier. I think that the amplifier is doing a decent job at moving those new speakers. Will have a hard time justifying the purchase of an aftermarket amp. Let’s see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes. You can find the Audison AP4 at Amazon. The Hertz MP70.3 are doing a great job for me at center channel (I removed the Burmester center channel speaker, and will be selling that). I also installed the Audison Voce AV3.0 as surrounds. I would argue that the Hertz will also do a great job in surround duty, but the AV3.0 are doing great.

I also love the Audison AP8 that I installed in the front doors. These are more difficult to find, but you can try eBay or Amazon UK. But wait... you already have new 8” Rockford Fosgate in the front doors and 6.5” Focal speakers in the rear doors right? I can’t remember...

Can’t wait to install the Audison AP6.5, the AP4 and the AP1 set I bought for my rear doors over the weekend.

I’m amazed at how changing a couple of speakers to higher quality than Bose have completely changed the audio profile and my audio experience in the Macan, even with the Bose amplifier. I think that the amplifier is doing a decent job at moving those new speakers. Will have a hard time justifying the purchase of an aftermarket amp. Let’s see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So I originally bought the Focal 3 way components and put all 3 up front. Then I realized I could go bigger so I got the Rockford 8s and left the Focal mids and tweeters in the front. Like you, I enjoy more of a surround feel so I'm going to move the Fcoal mids to the back to compliment the Focal 6.5s I put back there. So putting Audison AP4 up front wouldn't be a bad choice or maybe the scanspeaks to match my center channel. I'm sure by Monday I'll have ordered something

·
Registered
981 Posts
Cool! Let me know how you like the 3-way build in the rear doors.

Have you to touched the surround speakers? or do you have the base system with no surround?

If you have the Bose surrounds, I highly recommend you put them in the list to be replaced. They are the same crappy center speaker, and they distort significantly.

So I originally bought the Focal 3 way components and put all 3 up front. Then I realized I could go bigger so I got the Rockford 8s and left the Focal mids and tweeters in the front. Like you, I enjoy more of a surround feel so I'm going to move the Fcoal mids to the back to compliment the Focal 6.5s I put back there. So putting Audison AP4 up front wouldn't be a bad choice or maybe the scanspeaks to match my center channel. I'm sure by Monday I'll have ordered something

·
Registered
54 Posts
I only have the base system. So I'm torn whether to fill the spot in the doors (easier) or put them in the back pillars (gotta run wire)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
Fo those of you who are taking your trim panels out several times, like me, I'm starting to notice wear and tear on the screws that hold door trim panels in place, as well as the subwoofer. I purchased these screws from getporscheparts.com. Providing P/N below for reference:

Door Trim screws (bottom) P/N: N90775801

Door Trim Screws (top) P/N: N91180901

Woofer screws P/N: N10684701 (Yes, I lost one screw.... can't find it and don't know where I put it)

Subwoofer screws P/N: N10653201 (These will replace the Torx head screws with Hex head screws, they are the same screws).

Also, if you end up breaking any of the clips (like me) for the d-pillar trim, the part number for those is 955-555-276-00.

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Audison APK163 (3-way system) is half way in. I installed driver‘s side rear door yesterday.

AP6.5 woofer installation:

Hey @Ge0, is this professional enough?

The tweeter will not fit unless you maneuver it into the hole. I used the notch in the hole to slide it on the side, and then once it was inside, I used the existing clips to hold it in place. The clips will be a bit more stretched, but they will hold the tweeter securely in place... also, filled the midrange hole with a nice AP4.

I removed the foam filter from all the grills... I don’t think they are necessary. When I look at my wife’s Volvo XC90 Bowers & Wilkins system, none of the grills have foam filters. Now you can see the Audison lettering through the gill, if you look carefully.

I can’t still comment on the sound quality, but preliminary testing is very promising. The woofer sound quality when compared to the Bose is far superior. Also, the tweeter range is wider, compared to the Burm tweet. It goes to lower frequencies. This is good because the AP4 Max out at 7.5kHz, and the Burm tweets with the 4.7uF cap is crossing over at 8.5kHz. There is some loss there.

I’ll install the passenger’s door today, and I’ll take detailed photos of the tweeter installation. For now, I had to take a pause for more important activities (my daughter’s softball practice):

·
Registered
981 Posts
I will not be installing the Toro-Tech sub amp this weekend. I’m waiting for an OEM connector to be able to connect directly to the sub wires and that hasn’t arrived yet.

i saw your PM. I’ll answer later once I get out of my daughter‘s practice.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Fo those of you who are taking your trim panels out several times, like me, I'm starting to notice wear and tear on the screws that hold door trim panels in place, as well as the subwoofer. I purchased these screws from getporscheparts.com. Providing P/N below for reference:

Door Trim screws (bottom) P/N: N90775801

View attachment 232237

Door Trim Screws (top) P/N: N91180901
View attachment 232238

Woofer screws P/N: N10684701 (Yes, I lost one screw.... can't find it and don't know where I put it)

View attachment 232239

Subwoofer screws P/N: N10653201 (These will replace the Torx head screws with Hex head screws, they are the same screws).

View attachment 232241

Also, if you end up breaking any of the clips (like me) for the d-pillar trim, the part number for those is 955-555-276-00.
I spent 5 hours yesterday looking for a different alternative to the door woofer screw. Is a rare oddball thread and head combo. With the mods I'm going to make plus allowing thickness for a little sound deadener I wanted to extend the length of the screw by 10mm. You would not believe how hard these were to find. Leave it to Porsche to do this. Force you to buy fasteners through them...

Ge0

·
Registered
54 Posts
I spent 5 hours yesterday looking for a different alternative to the door woofer screw. Is a rare oddball thread and head combo. With the mods I'm going to make plus allowing thickness for a little sound deadener I wanted to extend the length of the screw by 10mm. You would not believe how hard these were to find. Leave it to Porsche to do this. Force you to buy fasteners through them...

Ge0
I bought screws at ace. Regular Philips head as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Audison APK163 (3-way system) is half way in. I installed driver‘s side rear door yesterday.

AP6.5 woofer installation:

View attachment 232261

View attachment 232262

View attachment 232263

View attachment 232265

View attachment 232279

Hey @Ge0, is this professional enough? 🙂

View attachment 232278

The tweeter will not fit unless you maneuver it into the hole. I used the notch in the hole to slide it on the side, and then once it was inside, I used the existing clips to hold it in place. The clips will be a bit more stretched, but they will hold the tweeter securely in place... also, filled the midrange hole with a nice AP4.
View attachment 232271

View attachment 232274

I removed the foam filter from all the grills... I don’t think they are necessary. When I look at my wife’s Volvo XC90 Bowers & Wilkins system, none of the grills have foam filters. Now you can see the Audison lettering through the gill, if you look carefully.
View attachment 232275

I can’t still comment on the sound quality, but preliminary testing is very promising. The woofer sound quality when compared to the Bose is far superior. Also, the tweeter range is wider, compared to the Burm tweet. It goes to lower frequencies. This is good because the AP4 Max out at 7.5kHz, and the Burmese tweets with the 4.7uF cap is crossing over at 8.5kHz. There is some loss there.

I’ll install the passenger’s door today, and I’ll take detailed photos of the tweeter installation. For now, I had to take a pause for more important activities (my daughter’s softball practice):

View attachment 232277
D-a-m-n nice job Santrix. I'm officially inviting you over to my install party:). I have a few questions, comments, and pointers:

1.) What are those wire grommets you used to pass wires through speaker rings? They look pretty handy.

2.) Your wiring looks pretty tidy for a mechanical engineer :)

3.) Do yourself a favor and REMOVE the speed ring from the back side of the speaker. Also, if you put the big plug piece inside your door remove that too. The general consensus is the foam used absorbs water. You don't want a wet floppy foam ring collapsing and blocking off the back of your speaker. Also, that big foam plug gets saturadted and can block off water drainage to the inner door.

4.) Get yourself some sound deadening material like Dynamat, second Skin, etc. Cut strips 1" x about 3" to 4". Place perpendicular over your loose wires. This will help prevent unwanted rattles plus add a little dampening into ringing panels.

Good job ole chap!

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have an ACE Hardware up the street. They didn't have what I needed in fine thread.

Ge0
I had to buy some screws before I received the ones from Porsche. They are M5-0.80.

OK, removed. That make sense. I only installed the ring, and not the round foam thing. But removed it. I’ll need to remove that from the front speakers too.

I had already deadened the back panels anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had to buy some screws before I received the ones from Porsche. They are M5-0.80.

OK, removed. That make sense. I only installed the ring, and not the round foam thing. But removed it. I’ll need to remove that from the front speakers too.

I had already deadened the back panels anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm. I even measured the thread and found the pitch to be 0.5mm But, I'm getting old and my eye sight isn't the greatest. It made sense to me they would use fine pitch for the woofers for vibration resistance.

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
Installing the Audison AP1 tweeters in rear doors.

tweeter hole:

tweeter circumference too large to fit like this:

use notch to get tweeter under grade:

like this:

now is inside:

you‘ll have to wrestle and push carefully... DO NOT PUSH DIRECTLY ON THE TWEETER GRILL, or you will bend it. Push only on the edge of the circumference:

until clips hold in place.

this is the final installation. Clips stretch a bit more than with Bose or Burmester tweeter, it will hold it fine:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Passenger’s rear door installation done:

·
Registered
981 Posts
OK... so here is my summary so far. With the following upgrades done:

1. Center: Hertz Mille MP70.3
2. Front Door Woofers: Audison Prima AP8
3. Front Door Midrange: Audison Prima AP4
4. Front Tweeters: Burmester (will change soon to Audison AP1)
5. Rear Door Woofers: Audison Prima AP6.5
6. Rear Door Midrange: Audison Prima AP4
7. Rear Door Tweeters: Audison Prima AP1
8. Surround Speakers: Audison Voce AV3.0
9. Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 set at 2ohms (I ordered the Audison APS-8D for testing)

After testing for about 45 minutes today, I think this is the best audio that my Bose amp will be able to produce. Great combination of speaker efficiency for each location provides a great level of sound envelope and intensity. I'm very happy with the 3-way buildup in the rear doors. The surround speakers, at higher efficiency, are the right ones for that duty. The center is refined and calm (not loud, no sound distortion, just the right amount of sound fill). I ordered the Audison AP2 to test as center, but I will most likely NOT test that one, as the Hertz is doing a fantastic job.

With these changes, I have brought the Treble setting to 0 and Bass setting between 1 and 2. The Balance is at 0 and the Fader between 0 and 1 (towards rear).

I'm not sure if I will ever end up changing the Bose amp. The system sounds great, at least to my non-audiophile ears.

I will change the Bose subwoofer amplifier with the Toro-Tech MR2 soon, just to make sure that the tiny Bose sub amp doesn't end up burned.

So far, very pleased with the changes.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
OK... so here is my summary so far. With the following upgrades done:

1. Center: Hertz Mille MP70.3
2. Front Door Woofers: Audison Prima AP8
3. Front Door Midrange: Audison Prima AP4
4. Front Tweeters: Burmester (will change soon to Audison AP1)
5. Rear Door Woofers: Audison Prima AP6.5
6. Rear Door Midrange: Audison Prima AP4
7. Rear Door Tweeters: Audison Prima AP1
8. Surround Speakers: Audison Voce AV3.0
9. Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 set at 2ohms (I ordered the Audison APS-8D for testing)

After testing for about 45 minutes today, I think this is the best audio that my Bose amp will be able to produce. Great combination of speaker efficiency for each location provides a great level of sound envelope and intensity. I'm very happy with the 3-way buildup in the rear doors. The surround speakers, at higher efficiency, are the right ones for that duty. The center is refined and calm (not loud, no sound distortion, just the right amount of sound fill). I ordered the Audison AP2 to test as center, but I will most likely NOT test that one, as the Hertz is doing a fantastic job.

With these changes, I have brought the Treble setting to 0 and Bass setting between 1 and 2. The Balance is at 0 and the Fader between 0 and 1 (towards rear).

I'm not sure if I will ever end up changing the Bose amp. The system sounds great, at least to my non-audiophile ears.

I will change the Bose subwoofer amplifier with the Toro-Tech MR2 soon, just to make sure that the tiny Bose sub amp doesn't end up burned.

So far, very pleased with the changes.
What is your round number out of pocket costs and how many hours do you think you would put on this project?

401 - 420 of 436 Posts