Porsche Macan Forum banner

381 - 400 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Audison Voce 3.0 with adapter, ready for surround duty. Will most likely install tomorrow...

with stainless steel screws...

here compared to the Bose speaker:

I tested the Audison Voce 3.0 in center duty today extensively during my commute, and is noticeably louder than the Burmester, albeit I have the Burmester wired with the 1-ohm non-inductive resistance.

Came off today and installed Burmester back.

I’ll be installing the Voce on surround duty tomorrow, but I’m concerned they may be too loud for this surround duty. However, since these speakers are distant from driving position, it may be fine. I’ll report on this tomorrow.

I ordered a set of Audison AP2, which will probably arrive in 3 weeks and will test ok center duty. More on that later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Audison Voce 3.0 with adapter, ready for surround duty. Will most likely install tomorrow...

View attachment 231934

with stainless steel screws...
View attachment 231935

here compared to the Bose speaker:
View attachment 231936

View attachment 231937
OK. I'm going to critique this guys sh!t.
1.) I'm assuming he used his center channel speaker as a pattern to cut the rings out using a flush cut bit. He gets an "A" for this. Nice work :)
2.) He used a chamfer bit to smooth out the edges. However he went a little aggressive with the chamfer for the thickness of material. Let's say "B+"
3.) Looks like he nailed the hole locations by using the stock speaker as a guide template. Golf clap and an "A"
4.) Look how sloppy the run out is on those holes. My god man clean that up with a counter sink bit. Ugh. Let's say "C" because he did manage to drill a round hole :).

Of course I'm just busting his chops. I don't know how but he works 2 times the speed as me. Am I to old and slow? Or does he have secret kung fu powers?

OK. Let's get serious now. I'm confused about this:

Is this an oops recovery or some key slot in the speaker mounting I need to be aware of. I'm about a week away from doing the same thing. Help a brother out :).

Oh, and go back and look at my pathetic post about making speaker ring adapters for the front door midranges. This guy makes me look real bad. I am going to go back and redo mine. No room for sloppy work here :).

Excellent job. Thanks for the post.

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
OK. Let's get serious now. I'm confused about this:
View attachment 231938

Is this an oops recovery or some key slot in the speaker mounting I need to be aware of. I'm about a week away from doing the same thing. Help a brother out :).

Ge0
Ha ha... an oops is a good description. Man, you got a good eye!!

I spent about 30 minutes thinking how would I solve this. My drill lock got loose and drill through the hole.... I was not going to prepare another one of these things.... solution, I drilled with bigger drill bit half way and slot in a washer. That should hold it in place.

I should get myself a forstner drill bit set... I don’t have one, but not sure if that would’ve help with my issue.

I like to call that type of crappy and improvised work with a more technical term, “contingency engineering”.

I’m an engineer, and I need to look technical here... .

By the way, HDPE is much harder to work on than PVC, for obvious reasons. I don’t think I’ll be fabricating on HDPE much more... I only bought a 12”x12” panel, 3/8” thick a long time ago...

You are really killing it with those HDPE rings and spacers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ha ha... an oops is a good description. Man, you got a good eye!!

I spent about 30 minutes thinking how would I solve this. My drill lock got loose and drill through the hole.... I was not going to prepare another one of these things.... solution, I drilled with bigger drill bit half way and slot in a washer. That should hold it in place.

I should get myself a forstner drill bit set... I don’t have one, but not sure if that would’ve help with my issue.

I like to call that type of crappy and improvised work with a more technical term, “contingency engineering”.

I’m an engineer, and I need to look technical here... .

By the way, HDPE is much harder to work on than PVC, for obvious reasons. I don’t think I’ll be fabricating on HDPE much more... I only bought a 12”x12” panel, 3/8” thick a long time ago...

You are really killing it with those HDPE rings and spacers.

Gooid recovery. I'm an electrical / mechanical engineer for the Bosch Automotive Electronics Division. A lot of my parts are in this car. I've spent my life perfecting stuff and performing damage control. I've learned to spot a few things. Regardless, I enjoy watching your work log. We give each other ideas.

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
Gooid recovery. I'm an electrical / mechanical engineer for the Bosch Automotive Electronics Division. A lot of my parts are in this car. I've spent my life perfecting stuff and performing damage control. I've learned to spot a few things. Regardless, I enjoy watching your work log. We give each other ideas.

Ge0
There you go... I had the feeling you were in the field.

I’m a mechanical engineer, leading the engineering department at a process development, clinical and commercial manufacturing campus for a large Bio-Pharma company.

Bosch have great engineering... for one, now I know they have you... :D. But also your appliances are the best (I know is a different division, but speaks to the quality at the company). Even though these appliances look simple with seemingly no gimmicks (like the Samsung fridge with the huge display), not even an external water/ice dispenser, the amount of engineering under the hood is amazing. Makes them in my opinion the best in that area, and why I have the dishwasher and just purchased the series 800 fridge.

But this is not an appliance forum... going back to the Macan...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi everyone... I installed the Audison V3.0 in surround duty today.

In my opinion, if you want to have even a semblance of good sound in your Macan with a Bose system, you need to, at a minimum, change the center channel and the 2 surround speakers. These little speakers have no place in any car, much less in a Porsche. I would argue that you could survive with the rest of your Bose speakers, but these three are the worst.

I did a side by side comparison of the surround speakers, leaving one of the Bose speakers on one side, and an Audison Voce 3.0, which I installed on the other side. The Bose speaker distort audio a lot, and is very noticeable, not clean. It was not even fair to compare the two.

If anything, I think you'll probably be better off disconnecting these 3 speakers (the Bose center and the two surround speakers).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Now to the Audison Voce 3.0 in surround duty. I was a bit concerned that they would be too loud for surround, but they are as loud as the crappy Bose speakers. They both were producing almost identical audio volume level (which I measured in dB with my uncalibrated phone) when I did a side by side test.

Well, these little speakers will stay in. The sound they produce is crisp, clear and well balanced. I did change the polarity of these speakers to make sure they match the (+) polarity of the rest of my speakers.

The Voce 3.0 are a bit deeper at 1.5” than the Bose at 1.1”, but the trim went in with no issues. Although 1.5” is as deep as you could go there in my opinion.

I also deaden, the best I could, the back area where these speakers are installed.

WARNING: When removing the trims, be careful with the clips. Please refer to my instructions, which I posted in the link below. I can't stress this enough. When you pull the trims out, some of the clips may stay inside the metal slot. You will need to remove them carefully and place them back in the plastic trim. Also, when reinstalling the trim, be careful and make sure all clips are aligned with the slot before you push, otherwise you will bend the clips or break them.

LINK: The long and involved process of upgrading my 2016 Macan...

Some photos of the installation:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Now to the Audison Voce 3.0 in surround duty. I was a bit concerned the they would be too loud for surround, but they are as loud as the crappy Bose speakers. They both were producing almost identical audio volume level (which I measured in dB with my uncalibrated phone) when I did a side by side test.

Well, these little speakers will stay in. The sound they produce is crisp, clear and well balanced. I did change the polarity of these speakers to make sure they match the (+) polarity of the rest of my speakers.

The Voce 3.0 are a bit deeper at 1.5” than the Bose at 1.1”, but the trim went in with no issues. Although 1.5” is as deep as you could go there in my opinion.

I also deaden, the best I could, the back area where these speakers are installed.

WARNING: When removing the trims, be careful with the clips. Please refer to my instructions, which I posted in the link below. I can't stress this enough. When you pull the trims out, some of the clips may stay inside the metal slot. You will need to remove them carefully and place them back in the plastic trim. Also, when reinstalling the trim, be careful and make sure all clips are aligned with the slot before you push, otherwise you will bend the clips or break them.

View attachment 231948

View attachment 231950

View attachment 231952

View attachment 231953
How in the heck do you get this stuff done so fast. I'm still finishing up my work day and you already have these things installed!!! You must have a legion of minions helping you.

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
How in the heck do you get this stuff done so fast. I'm still finishing up my work day and you already have these things installed!!! You must have a legion of minions helping you.

Ge0
That's why they invented vacation...:) I had a day off today... the first one since this pandemic thing started. Since I work in Pharma, I have been going to the office very frequently, also working from home some days, very infrequently.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Now to the Audison Voce 3.0 in surround duty. I was a bit concerned that they would be too loud for surround, but they are as loud as the crappy Bose speakers. They both were producing almost identical audio volume level (which I measured in dB with my uncalibrated phone) when I did a side by side test.

View attachment 231948

View attachment 231950

View attachment 231952

View attachment 231953
Did you cut those connectors off the old Bose speakers?

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
Did you cut those connectors off the old Bose speakers?

Ge0
I removed the speaker wires from the connectors by applying heat with a soldering iron and sliding the wire out. Then the connector/adapter slide out of the speaker. You can do this with most of the smaller speakers. Not with the larger woofers.

I'm trying to do this in a way that I can put everything back together. If and when I sell / trade my car, I'm installing all the bose speakers back.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I removed the speaker wires from the connectors by applying heat with a soldering iron and sliding the wire out. Then the connector/adapter slide out of the speaker. You can do this with most of the smaller speakers. Not with the larger woofers.

I'm trying to do this in a way that I can put everything back together. If and when I sell / trade my car, I'm installing all the bose speakers back.
Cool. Exactly what I was hoping you would say :)

Ge0

·
Registered
981 Posts
Received my 3-way Audison APK163 speaker set today for my rear doors + the Hertz Mille MP70.3 speaker pair that I will be testing as a center channel.

Looking forward to install these very soon!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you are interested in acquiring OEM connectors to fabricate your own woofer / subwoofer connectors, so that you don't have to destroy your speakers or cut any OEM wires, below is the information on the parts you will have to purchase. Note that these are VW/Audi parts.

VW P/N: 191972716 (6-pin housing connector for subwoofer)
VW P/N: 1J0972762 (2-pin housing connector for door woofers)
VW/Audi P/N: N-103-189-05 (these are the 2.8mm pins that will go inside the housings, welded to wires)

The P/N: N-103-189-05 is more difficult to find. I found them at Search for 'N10318905' | FCP Euro

You could order the housings at your local VW parts dealer. I ordered mine in a local dealer.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My prefabricated spacers fit very well...!

Audison AP6.5:

Audison AP4:

These speakers look great and sound great. So far I’m very impressed with the AP8 I installed in the front doors... also the AP4.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Installed the Hertz Mille MP70.3 in center duty as a test. At 88dB @ 1W efficiency and 4-ohms, these little speaker is quieter and more refined than the Burmester. The Audison AP2 is on its way for a final test and decision on the center. For now, I do like the Hertz in center duty.

I had prepared the spacer earlier, so it was a quick installation. I bought M4.0 x 1/2 screws at Lowe’s to install the speaker to the spacer. The screws that come with the speakers are too long and would pierce through the spacer into the plastic below...

·
Registered
981 Posts
They are about 2mm deeper, and they are also 70mm vs 100mm circumference for stock ones. Not sure.

You should look into the Audison AP4is almost an exact fit. Even the tabs to screw the speaker into the door (at least two of them) will fit exactly into the slots where you would need to install them. See my installation of these in front doors a few post back.

Would the Hertz fit in the front doors or are they to deep?

381 - 400 of 436 Posts