Porsche Macan Forum banner

321 - 340 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes thank you for those measurements.and they do seem to fit rigged into the factory bracket. Now I just need to make a better bracket to secure them. No Bose amp. It's the cheaper amp.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I have the secound system in this chart. No clue what the Ohms are. Can't find that anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Yep, cut and solder. And yes just 3 screws. I will take pics tomorrow. After seeing these posts earlier I'm gonna seal and polyfill it.

Are we sure sealing this is the right thing to do ? Maybe this was calculated as the “port” of this “enclosure” ?

Maybe less bass sealed ??

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are we sure sealing this is the right thing to do ? Maybe this was calculated as the “port” of this “enclosure” ?

Maybe less bass sealed ??

2016 Macan T
Funny you mention that. Did seal and polyfill this morning and I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh yes, I totally stole this speaker from your thread :)
It drops right in with the terminal connections up near the top left. No need to dremel. This is the 3" though. Not sure if you ordered the 4"
Madisound lists the 10F as a 4" midrange but it is actually the same driver as yours. Just painted a different color. I'm not to sure why they need both...

Ge0

·
Registered
233 Posts
Funny you mention that. Did seal and polyfill this morning and I can't tell the difference.
This is a midrange in a 1L+ space. Its pretty much operating "free air" in this larger cavity within its pass band. The reason I suggested sealing off the holes was to prevent the backwave from escaping through them which would cancel / interfere with the front wave.

Ge0

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a midrange in a 1L+ space. Its pretty much operating "free air" in this larger cavity within its pass band. The reason I suggested sealing off the holes was to prevent the backwave from escaping through them which would cancel / interfere with the front wave.

Ge0
After some more listening, guitars seem clearer Some Eric Clapton sounded great.

·
Registered
881 Posts
QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS... I need HELP.

I used the speaker pop app to confirm polarity of my speakers. The rear left woofer and the trunk left midrange are showing a negative polarity while the rest are showing a positive polarity. Is that normal? I would thought all speakers must have the same polarity.

During the test the surround and linear settings were off.

Any ideas? Is this a potential issue with the speaker pop app? I never touched those speakers.

However, fading to front sounds rich in sound, fading to the back sounds a bit flat.

I think I will be taking the panel off and reversing that polarity to see what happens (next weekend’s project), but wanted to ask first.

EDIT:

I did a "Speaker Pop" test on my wife's Volvo XC-90 which features a Bowers-Wilkins sound system (which is pretty awesome in my opinion and reminded me what a piece of crap audio system I had in my Macan every time I drive it). All speakers are featuring the same (+) polarity.

Following that logic, I have to assume that the "Speaker Pop" app is doing reasonably well at detecting polarity. I will do some experimentation over the weekend (or maybe during the week), to see if this is an issue.

I repeated the test on my Macan, and all speakers in my rear left door (woofer and tweeter) have (-) polarity, as detected by the "Speaker Pop" app, as well as the speaker on the trunk pillar. The rest of the car features (+) polarity as I stated before.

I wonder if this had been one of the main causes of the crappy sound all along. But also wonder if this had been done on purpose.

@Draper, when you used Speaker Pop, did you test all the speakers or only the tweeters? If you tested all speakers, did all showed the same polarity?

@Ge0 and others... I would like to hear what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Experiment completed. Reversed polarity of rear left door woofer, tweeter and d-pillar surround speakers.

Retested all speakers and now all (+).

Oh yeah baby!!!! Oh yesss!! Much better and balanced.

That d-pillar trim is a nasty one to remove. I lost a clip in the process that is now somewhere in the lower trunk trim. I’ll fish that one later. For now, I’m a happy camper!!

Now I like to replace the two door midrange and the d-pillar surround.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Wow, Does it sounds louder...more present, in mode regular AND surround mode.....I guess it should?

So did you pop off door panels ....or switch polarity at the amp ?

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
It may be easier to perform the “Santrix” Mod ;)
By re pinning two ,four, or six, wires at the main Bose Amp.
Not sure the tweeter needs reversed, as Geo has stated they are not really phase critical due to the high frequency.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Popped panels off. Very easy to do. Remove trim (a bit tricky), then 4 screws, pull panel up and it will come out easily. The electrical connections are a bit tricky to remove but very easy once you figure it out.

I shaved the connectors with a dremel so that they could go the other way.

Well, not louder but more defined, more balanced. Before, it was biased to the front, and sound in the back wasn't present at all. Now there is more presence of very well defined sound coming from all directions. All that in regular mode.

I have not tested the surround mode a lot, but it seems it have not changed that much from before. But regular mode sounds soooo much better.

Little by little, the system is starting to come together.

Now, I want to replace the midrange speakers at front door and the surround speakers at the d-pillars. That's my next step.

Wow, Does it sounds louder...more present, in mode regular AND surround mode.....I guess it should?

So did you pop off door panels ....or switch polarity at the amp ?

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Thanks Santrix,
I would say the Bass has to be louder, now that you have no cancellation. A VU meter could have determined that maybe with a test track.

Somewhere in this vast forum is the pin out for the Factory Bose AmP. I will look for this. May be easier to reverse polarity there....and test.

Great find !!

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Can anyone point me in the direction of a 2016 BOSE AMP pin out please? Never gonna after it before but I see it is located in the rear trunk panel area.

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Can anyone point me in the direction of a 2016 BOSE AMP pin out please? Never gonna after it before but I see it is located in the rear trunk panel area.

Thanks
I am interested in the Bose am p pinout too.

Ge0

·
Registered
881 Posts
This is in the Porsche Macan maintenance manual... Is this what you are asking for?

·
Registered
881 Posts
thank you ! I should be able to re pin and try with this, weekend project :)
Looking forward to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Santrix, from that diagram....if our wiring is as per diagram.....the D Pillar is in parallel.....you may've one out of phase now ?

321 - 340 of 367 Posts