Porsche Macan Forum banner

301 - 320 of 362 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
That does sound odd.....that the phase is different among driver types......I would of though that if phase mis match was intentional the driver types would match....hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Surfer, how do you connect your 10m to the factory speaker connection ? Cut and solder ?
Also, did you just drop 3 new screws in ?
Any pics of it installed ?
Cheers.

solder

·
Registered
41 Posts
Surfer, how do you connect your 10m to the factory speaker connection ? Cut and solder ?
Also, did you just drop 3 new screws in ?
Any pics of it installed ?
Cheers.

solder
Yep, cut and solder. And yes just 3 screws. I will take pics tomorrow. After seeing these posts earlier I'm gonna seal and polyfill it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone has given any consideration to the replacing the front and rear door woofers with these (see links)? They claim are a direct fit to the Porsche Macan, but not sure if they would be better than the Bose woofers. These are coaxial speakers, so not sure if I would want to install something like this.

Front Doors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUE2YE7/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFD3YB3MPK3U3

Read Doors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZD8256/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AFD3YB3MPK3U3&psc=1
Hmm. Stay away. Some cheap Amazon brand I have never heard of. Better off with the stock speaker.

I know the Audiofrog GS690 will work with an adapter. The Dynaudio MW180 is the driver I am planning on. It will fit with 1-1/2" spacer rings.

Ge0

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hoping these will will fit on the front. Stock door next to it. No Bose or Burmiester

If using the stock Bose amp you'll want a 2 ohm driver. With that said, you have 3" of mounting depth to work with. 1.5" behind the sheet metal. 1.5" in front of the sheet metal. You'll need a 1.5" riser. I've already done all the measurements for you.

Ge0

·
Registered
227 Posts
QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS... I need HELP.

I used the speaker pop app to confirm polarity of my speakers. The rear left woofer and the trunk left midrange are showing a negative polarity while the rest are showing a positive polarity. Is that normal? I would thought all speakers must have the same polarity.

During the test the surround and linear settings were off.

Any ideas? Is this a potential issue with the speaker pop app? I never touched those speakers.

However, fading to front sounds rich in sound, fading to the back sounds a bit flat.

I think I will be taking the panel off and reversing that polarity to see what happens (next weekend’s project), but wanted to ask first.

EDIT:

I did a "Speaker Pop" test on my wife's Volvo XC-90 which features a Bowers-Wilkins sound system (which is pretty awesome in my opinion and reminded me what a piece of crap audio system I had in my Macan every time I drive it). All speakers are featuring the same (+) polarity.

Following that logic, I have to assume that the "Speaker Pop" app is doing reasonably well at detecting polarity. I will do some experimentation over the weekend (or maybe during the week), to see if this is an issue.

I repeated the test on my Macan, and all speakers in my rear left door (woofer and tweeter) have (-) polarity, as detected by the "Speaker Pop" app, as well as the speaker on the trunk pillar. The rest of the car features (+) polarity as I stated before.

I wonder if this had been one of the main causes of the crappy sound all along. But also wonder if this had been done on purpose.

@Draper, when you used Speaker Pop, did you test all the speakers or only the tweeters? If you tested all speakers, did all showed the same polarity?

@Ge0 and others... I would like to hear what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never used a phone app to test my speakers. But, know this. Electrical phase is totally different from acoustical phase. In the end all you should care about is acoustical phase regardless of what the wires are telling you.

Look into the free software called ROOM EQ WIZARD to make much more accurate measurements. You may need to invest $100 in microphone and USB preamp but it is well worth it.

Just so you know, trying to measure the phase of a tweeter is a futile effort. At the frequencies it operates at phase is not an issue. Worry more about phase between subs and midbass. Then midbass and midrange.

Ge0

·
Registered
41 Posts
If using the stock Bose amp you'll want a 2 ohm driver. With that said, you have 3" of mounting depth to work with. 1.5" behind the sheet metal. 1.5" in front of the sheet metal. You'll need a 1.5" riser. I've already done all the measurements for you.

Ge0
Yes thank you for those measurements.and they do seem to fit rigged into the factory bracket. Now I just need to make a better bracket to secure them. No Bose amp. It's the cheaper amp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes thank you for those measurements.and they do seem to fit rigged into the factory bracket. Now I just need to make a better bracket to secure them. No Bose amp. It's the cheaper amp.

Hmm. Makes me wonder what door midbass speaker they are using. Should still be 2 ohm to get power to it. But, you never know...

Ge0

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes it did come with a gasket. And it's pretty secure and no air leaking.

Look at this. This dude stole my idea :). I placed my order form these drivers almost 2 weeks ago through Madisound. Shipment delayed due to CV-19. I should get them today. I knew the 10F would fit in center. Looks like I see some plastic dust. Did you need to get out the Dremel or did it just drop in?

Ge0

·
Registered
41 Posts
Look at this. This dude stole my idea :). I placed my order form these drivers almost 2 weeks ago through Madisound. Shipment delayed due to CV-19. I should get them today. I knew the 10F would fit in center. Looks like I see some plastic dust. Did you need to get out the Dremel or did it just drop in?

Ge0
Oh yes, I totally stole this speaker from your thread :)
It drops right in with the terminal connections up near the top left. No need to dremel. This is the 3" though. Not sure if you ordered the 4"

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS... I need HELP.

I used the speaker pop app to confirm polarity of my speakers. The rear left woofer and the trunk left midrange are showing a negative polarity while the rest are showing a positive polarity. Is that normal? I would thought all speakers must have the same polarity.

During the test the surround and linear settings were off.

Any ideas? Is this a potential issue with the speaker pop app? I never touched those speakers.

However, fading to front sounds rich in sound, fading to the back sounds a bit flat.

I think I will be taking the panel off and reversing that polarity to see what happens (next weekend’s project), but wanted to ask first.

EDIT:

I did a "Speaker Pop" test on my wife's Volvo XC-90 which features a Bowers-Wilkins sound system (which is pretty awesome in my opinion and reminded me what a piece of crap audio system I had in my Macan every time I drive it). All speakers are featuring the same (+) polarity.

Following that logic, I have to assume that the "Speaker Pop" app is doing reasonably well at detecting polarity. I will do some experimentation over the weekend (or maybe during the week), to see if this is an issue.

I repeated the test on my Macan, and all speakers in my rear left door (woofer and tweeter) have (-) polarity, as detected by the "Speaker Pop" app, as well as the speaker on the trunk pillar. The rest of the car features (+) polarity as I stated before.

I wonder if this had been one of the main causes of the crappy sound all along. But also wonder if this had been done on purpose.

@Draper, when you used Speaker Pop, did you test all the speakers or only the tweeters? If you tested all speakers, did all showed the same polarity?

@Ge0 and others... I would like to hear what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Santrix,
I just pulled my Center , in prep for the Scan 10mm arriving tomorrow.
I checked it phase with SP, it was POS +

So we’re all the other drivers in the front , BUT, the rear passenger Door is showing NEG -
This validates you’re measurements. But we still don’t know if:
1) it’s by design
2) the Macan was wired wrong
3) The app is failing ? Hmmm

Guess we need help here :)

2016 Macan T

301 - 320 of 362 Posts